Cockatiel Articles

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Cockatiels Forums > Cockatiels > Your Cockatiels Health

Notices

Your Cockatiels Health Ask questions about your cockatiels health here.

Closed Thread

Old 01-25-2017, 08:24 AM
Hatching

Cockatiel Information
None
maddienaidan is on a distinguished road
Default New cockatiel

I have had birds before but never hand fed one. We got one yesterday and she still needs to be hand fed for a week or 2. She is 11 to 12 weeks old. I was confident and fed the bird once before i left with her but after looking up online i am now terrified. Also, since i brought her home she will not move in the cage or eat or drink. Is this normal?

Sent from my LG-H631 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2017, 09:46 AM
Chick

Cockatiel Information
Number of Cockatiels: 1
Cockatiel Experience Level: Cockatiel Owner
mohum is on a distinguished road

It is normal not to move or eat for a day or so. I am surprised she still needs hand feeding at that age. I would suggest holding some millet spray near the bird and maybe some budgie seed nearby. Gentle talking without scaring her should encourage her to explore her surroundings.
Old 01-25-2017, 01:44 PM
Hatching

Cockatiel Information
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohum View Post
It is normal not to move or eat for a day or so. I am surprised she still needs hand feeding at that age. I would suggest holding some millet spray near the bird and maybe some budgie seed nearby. Gentle talking without scaring her should encourage her to explore her surroundings.
Thank you. I was suprised after reading up. She bit me when i tried to hand feed this am. She was scared and only ate 2 ml
She has picked at the millet a little and ate some pellet from my hand. I call them fruity pebbles. They look like them lol. I have not seen her drink. She will eat out of my hand.

Old 01-25-2017, 06:27 PM
Administrator

Cockatiel Information
Number of Cockatiels: 4
Cockatiel Experience Level: Cockatiel Enthusiast
roxy culver is on a distinguished road

It's very rare to see a tiiel drink, especially one that is settling in. As long as you are getting some formula into her, she is probably getting enough water.
Jeep-normal gray cock
Pebbles-whiteface pearl pied hen
Pankakes-PF cinnamon pearl pied cock

Old 01-25-2017, 08:05 PM
Chick

Cockatiel Information
None
EllenD is on a distinguished road

I would make sure she always has a dish of water, a dish of whatever food her breeder was weaning her onto, and sprays of millet at her access. You need to try to keep track of what she is eating as far as solid food, and how much. At her age she should be right at the time when she really is only taking one feeding a day as a comfort feeding, usually at night, sometimes in the morning as well. If she only took 2ml this morning that's a good thing as long as she's eating her solid food on her own. Comfort feedings are just that, they are just very small formula feedings to make her feel good, not really her main form of getting food. If you're only giving her 2 hand feedings a day, I'd try to eliminate the morning feeding, make sure she always has food, water, and millet, and watch to see how much she eats. Sometimes you have to do that tiny hand feeding of a ml or two before they'll go and eat a bunch of their solid food. It's all about finding out where she is at in the process, which is difficult when she goes to a new home and is in that transition phase where she won't eat or move. That will pass, you should see her moving around her cage and eating her solid food in a day or two. In the meantime, offer her the hand feedings, give her what she'll take, and keep track of what she eats. Ideally she'll quickly get down to one comfort feeding at night and that's it, and quickly she will refuse that feeding as well. If she nipped at you when you tried to hand feed her in the morning, then she's probably getting ready to wean and get off the formula...Just be careful, go slowly, don't force any formula if she doesn't want it. You want to make sure you don't aspirate her, that's the scary part, but at her age it should be pretty easy, as she will take what she wants and stop when she wants. If you're using a syringe just go very slowly with pushing the formula, go with the rhythm of her head/beak/swallowing motions. Go in from her left side (your right) and aim the syringe at the back of her throat on her right side (your left) over her tongue and across to her right throat. She's probably OK with even just using a spoon, just measure the formula in the syringe (make sure your temp is correct, between 105-110 degrees, no hotter or you'll burn her crop), and then squirt the formula into a spoon. I find if I tip the spoon down slightly into their beak they just gulp it right off the end, that is definitely less scary, less chance of problems, again just go slow.

I wish breeders/stores didn't sell unweaned birds, it's scary for the poor owner if they've never done it before, and it's irresponsible on their part...Just my opinion as a prior breeder...

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
Old 01-25-2017, 08:19 PM
Hatching

Cockatiel Information
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllenD View Post
I would make sure she always has a dish of water, a dish of whatever food her breeder was weaning her onto, and sprays of millet at her access. You need to try to keep track of what she is eating as far as solid food, and how much. At her age she should be right at the time when she really is only taking one feeding a day as a comfort feeding, usually at night, sometimes in the morning as well. If she only took 2ml this morning that's a good thing as long as she's eating her solid food on her own. Comfort feedings are just that, they are just very small formula feedings to make her feel good, not really her main form of getting food. If you're only giving her 2 hand feedings a day, I'd try to eliminate the morning feeding, make sure she always has food, water, and millet, and watch to see how much she eats. Sometimes you have to do that tiny hand feeding of a ml or two before they'll go and eat a bunch of their solid food. It's all about finding out where she is at in the process, which is difficult when she goes to a new home and is in that transition phase where she won't eat or move. That will pass, you should see her moving around her cage and eating her solid food in a day or two. In the meantime, offer her the hand feedings, give her what she'll take, and keep track of what she eats. Ideally she'll quickly get down to one comfort feeding at night and that's it, and quickly she will refuse that feeding as well. If she nipped at you when you tried to hand feed her in the morning, then she's probably getting ready to wean and get off the formula...Just be careful, go slowly, don't force any formula if she doesn't want it. You want to make sure you don't aspirate her, that's the scary part, but at her age it should be pretty easy, as she will take what she wants and stop when she wants. If you're using a syringe just go very slowly with pushing the formula, go with the rhythm of her head/beak/swallowing motions. Go in from her left side (your right) and aim the syringe at the back of her throat on her right side (your left) over her tongue and across to her right throat. She's probably OK with even just using a spoon, just measure the formula in the syringe (make sure your temp is correct, between 105-110 degrees, no hotter or you'll burn her crop), and then squirt the formula into a spoon. I find if I tip the spoon down slightly into their beak they just gulp it right off the end, that is definitely less scary, less chance of problems, again just go slow.

I wish breeders/stores didn't sell unweaned birds, it's scary for the poor owner if they've never done it before, and it's irresponsible on their part...Just my opinion as a prior breeder...

After learning more..i agree it is irresponsible. She made it sound like no big deal..easy peasy. She told me to feed her 3 times a day. I fed her at 230 and she ate 8.5 ml then she ate some millet.

Old 01-25-2017, 09:03 PM
Hatching

Cockatiel Information
None

She ate 5 ml. I placed her food and water at bottom of cage. Shes having a hard time climbing

Old 01-25-2017, 09:04 PM
Chick

Cockatiel Information
None
EllenD is on a distinguished road

Ok, so she is eating quite a bit of formula then. Just make sure she always has fresh food, water, and millet, and I'd offer her formula first thing in the morning and then at night for dinner. Keep track of how much formula she's eating and when, and then how much solid food she's eating. Like I said, you can use a spoon instead of a syringe or a pipette if you're more comfortable with it. At her age she should be close to weaned, some birds do take longer than others, but she should be down to one feeding a day very soon, refusing the other one. Then she'll just be taking a little bit at night, for comfort, and then she'll just refuse it completely...

Is she flying yet? I'm hoping she is at least fully fledged. If her wings are clipped that should hopefully mean that she fledged and then the breeder clipped them. It should not be long, a week, maybe two at the most until she's weaned. The more solid food you can get her to eat now the better. I'd also be introducing fresh veggies and fruits now too, otherwise it can be harder to get them to eat them.

Old 01-25-2017, 11:47 PM
Administrator

Cockatiel Information
Number of Cockatiels: 4
Cockatiel Experience Level: Cockatiel Enthusiast
roxy culver is on a distinguished road

Quote:
After learning more..i agree it is irresponsible. She made it sound like no big deal..easy peasy. She told me to feed her 3 times a day. I fed her at 230 and she ate 8.5 ml then she ate some millet.
Hmm, that is a bit more than a bird her age should be getting. Did the breeder happen to mention why she wasn't weaned yet? I never had to solely hand feed any of my babies but most were weaned by 8 weeks old.
Jeep-normal gray cock
Pebbles-whiteface pearl pied hen
Pankakes-PF cinnamon pearl pied cock

Old 01-26-2017, 08:37 AM
Hatching

Cockatiel Information
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxy culver View Post
Hmm, that is a bit more than a bird her age should be getting. Did the breeder happen to mention why she wasn't weaned yet? I never had to solely hand feed any of my babies but most were weaned by 8 weeks old.
She did not say she acted as if it was normal and told me she had a week or 2 left but told me she was 12 weeks

Closed Thread