Cockatiel Breeding

Mutations & Genetics

Cockatiel Articles

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Cockatiels Forums > Cockatiels > Cockatiel Talk > Cockatiel Housing and Toys

Notices

Cockatiel Housing and Toys All discussion of cages, cage setup, aviaries, toys, play gyms, etc. should go here.

Old 03-26-2017, 10:28 PM
Egg

Cockatiel Information
None
rivx is on a distinguished road
Default Cage sizing confusion

So, I'm aware the minimum is generally agreed to be 18x18x18, but I found a cage that's roughly 22x17x40. Is this suitable?
If not, I have a different cage, but I'm merely wondering if this is worth purchasing. Thanks! X.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2017, 09:43 AM
Hatching

Cockatiel Information
Number of Cockatiels: 1
Cockatiel Experience Level: Cockatiel Owner
mlj722 is on a distinguished road
Default Cage Size

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivx View Post
So, I'm aware the minimum is generally agreed to be 18x18x18, but I found a cage that's roughly 22x17x40. Is this suitable?
If not, I have a different cage, but I'm merely wondering if this is worth purchasing. Thanks! X.
Do you have any photos of the cage?

The only true issue that you can run into when buying a cage is not the size (because in reality, the bigger the better!) but instead the spacing of the bars. Typically, the bigger the cage, the bigger the spacing between the bars will become (because it's assumed that the bigger the cage, the bigger the bird that'll be housed within it). The issue with bar spacing is that if it's too big, the bird has the possibility of being able to escape through the bars, or the bird will try to stick it's head through the bars and could possibly get stuck and essentially strangle itself and die. (Many people have lost their birds this way). The recommended spacing for tiels is 1/2 inch, but you can go up to 5/8 inch if you have a bigger sized tiel (mine is small, so I keep his at 1/2 inch).

Like I said, my bird's spacing is 1/2 inch, but his cage is 61"x18"x18" so it's possible to find larger cages that tiels can still be kept in.

The dimensions you mentioned is only the MINIMUM that tiels require within their cages. As I said before, the biggest cage that you can afford or fits the bird bar spacing wise, the better.
Old 03-27-2017, 01:03 PM
Hatching

Cockatiel Information
None
Amatiq is on a distinguished road

I also tend to look for cages (assuming I don't have room for a true flight cage, which is my real preference) that allow some vertical climbing, because every 'tiel I ever saw climbs as much or more than they fly. I try to space the food and water dishes out and put treats directly on the floor (on a piece of paper towel) so they are encouraged to climb down, walk around, climb or fly back up, repeat.
(cockatiels are ground feeders, so that's normal, but of course this is fresh stuff that I pick back up after about an hour because if you left it there all day it would get droppings on it and be unfit for eating)

Old 03-27-2017, 05:33 PM
Egg

Cockatiel Information
None

I don't have the space for a flight cage right now - with the budgies, a large rabbit, multiple rodents and dogs, we've got quite the zoo going on, making it a bit hard to find a reasonable place to put a true flight cage, like the F040. I could still go over the minimum, though, say 20x20x24 or larger.

I don't have any pictures at the moment that I own. Someone I know is giving it away - it's in good condition, so I'm merely wondering if I could make some use out of it. I was able to identify the brand, though, so I've attached a link here. https://www.wayfair.com/AandE-Cage-C...d-AEC1344.html Some sources say the bar spacing is .5 - .75, though. If I'm not wrong, .75 translates to 3/4 an inch - too large for a tiel. However, most sites tend to just say 1/2, so I'm not sure what this is referring to. Thoughts?

It does have both vertical and horizontal bars, though, which I enjoy. I have a lot of time to let a tiel out of cage. I'm estimating 3-4 hours on a regular day, but I'm not sure if this is long enough to make a minimum cage comfortable.

Last edited by rivx; 03-27-2017 at 05:37 PM..
Old 03-27-2017, 05:45 PM
Hatching

Cockatiel Information

Quote:
I don't have the space for a flight cage right now - with the budgies, a large rabbit, multiple rodents and dogs, we've got quite the zoo going on, making it a bit hard to find a reasonable place to put a true flight cage, like the F040. I could still go over the minimum, though, say 20x20x24 or larger.

I don't have any pictures at the moment that I own. Someone I know is giving it away - it's in good condition, so I'm merely wondering if I could make some use out of it. I was able to identify the brand, though, so I've attached a link here. https://www.wayfair.com/AandE-Cage-C...d-AEC1344.html Some sources say the bar spacing is .5 - .75, though. If I'm not wrong, .75 translates to 3/4 an inch - too large for a tiel. However, most sites tend to just say 1/2, so I'm not sure what this is referring to. Thoughts?

It does have both vertical and horizontal bars, though, which I enjoy. I have a lot of time to let a tiel out of cage. I'm estimating 3-4 hours on a regular day, but I'm not sure if this is long enough to make a minimum cage comfortable.
I'm not sure what the 1/2 could be referring to, although it's likely bar spacing, and that amount of time should be enough for a Cockatiel. That's about how long my Cockatiel gets out (although he's out longer on the weekends).
Just make sure that the amount of time he's out is quality time.
Old 03-27-2017, 08:07 PM
Egg

Cockatiel Information
None

Thanks!
To be clear, though, would that cage be acceptable for one tiel? Thanks again.
Old 03-29-2017, 07:41 AM
Hatching

Cockatiel Information

Quote:
Thanks!
To be clear, though, would that cage be acceptable for one tiel? Thanks again.
Oh yeah, that cage would be alright. All that truly matters is that he's going to have time out of his cage like you said, so he won't require anything massive.
Old 03-29-2017, 09:14 AM
Hatching

Cockatiel Information
None
Amatiq is on a distinguished road

I agree, I think it's ok. I will say, though, I do try to avoid cages with thick hard bars (can't see about that one), because if your tiel is prone to night frights, and many are, they can really bang themselves up in the smaller cages with thicker bars.
Old 03-29-2017, 11:11 PM
Youngster

Cockatiel Information
Number of Cockatiels: 2
Cockatiel Experience Level: Cockatiel Lover
Jaguar is on a distinguished road

A tiel might survive in an 18"x18" cage... just like you'd be able to survive in a closet. It wouldn't be fun or comfortable, though. Long term, you'd probably go crazy.

The Victorian cage is okay, but I prefer something with more depth. 17" barely leaves them a few inches on either end. Add a few toys and perches, and they'll have a hard time maneuvering.

The A&E flight is 31"x21" and very affordable. The Prevue F040 is another good sized and very cheap option.

It's great to plan for letting them out for a few hours a day - but life can change in unexpected ways, and it's best to have as big a cage as possible should you need to keep them in it. My guys are out from dawn til dusk and they still have a 30"x24" cage.

Last edited by Jaguar; 03-29-2017 at 11:13 PM..
Old 03-30-2017, 01:06 AM
Egg

Cockatiel Information
None

Hi! Thank you for your response.
I actually ended up thinking the same thing and deciding not to get this cage. I'm thinking of setting my minimum at 20x20 (or 20x24) but I'm definitely aiming for bigger...thoughts?
I'm considering a flight cage, but I'd definitely have to do some redecorating to make it fit. Most of the current space I have for a flight cage is in the same room as my mice, and tiel dust so close by isn't great for such fragile systems. I'll see what I can do, though!