Cockatiel Breeding

Mutations & Genetics

Cockatiel Articles

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Cockatiels Forums > Cockatiels > Cockatiel Breeding > Cockatiel Mutations and Genetics

Notices

Cockatiel Mutations and Genetics This is the place to ask any questions you might have about your cockatiels mutation, or about potential breeding results, etc.

Closed Thread

Old 04-01-2017, 11:05 PM
Super Tiel

Cockatiel Information
Number of Cockatiels: 14
Cockatiel Experience Level: Cockatiel Breeder
tielfan is on a distinguished road

What do the yellow tail feathers look like (besides being yellow)? If there's any dark color on them at all, it's not a pied feather.

All my posts and all photos belonging to me are copyrighted by me. All rights reserved.

My website: http://www.littlefeatheredbuddies.com/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2017, 11:44 PM
Adult

Cockatiel Information
Number of Cockatiels: 3
ParrotletsRock is on a distinguished road

I'm not sure and can't look, he has gone home, I was just babysitting for the young lady who bought him, but I believe they are clear bright yellow...
This is him far left as a baby if that helps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4162.jpg (94.0 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by ParrotletsRock; 04-01-2017 at 11:47 PM..
Old 04-02-2017, 12:05 AM
Super Tiel

Cockatiel Information

I don't see any pied feathers in the baby pic. There's a barred feather on my right that looks like ordinary hen/juvenile markings, and one on the left that looks like a pearl tail feather. It's mostly yellow but has a dark quill and some speckling. There's a lot of variation in pearl tailfeathers - some are almost completely yellow and others are heavily mottled.

As for what he's doing with a pearl tailfeather, I can't answer that question. He's obviously not visual pearl, and he acquired the normal face mask as an adult so he's obviously male. But he's definitely split to pearl since he has a pearl mother, and maybe in his particular case that was enough for him to sprout a pearl tailfeather. There are a LOT of oddities in feather coloration, and it seems like most of the rules were made to be broken.

All my posts and all photos belonging to me are copyrighted by me. All rights reserved.

Old 04-02-2017, 12:08 AM
Super Tiel

Cockatiel Information

P.S. The yellow coloring on his face as a baby is typical of what I see with my "spot gene" babies. The boys get ghost pearls when they're older but none of them has ever had a pearl tailfeather. Here's a link to my spot gene article so you can check it out and see whether any of it seems applicable: http://www.littlefeatheredbuddies.co...-spotgene.html

Old 04-02-2017, 12:21 AM
Super Tiel

Cockatiel Information

Another possibility is that he actually does have two pearl genes and technically is visual pearl, but the markings never actually developed for some reason. Pearl does seem to be somewhat prone to disruption, and no one knows why.

What's odd about the pearl-looking feather in the baby picture is that it looks like a new feather that's growing in. You'd expect a young male to grow in adult-male tailfeathers, unless he's very young and is replacing a tail feather that got knocked out by accident. I don't know how old he is right now, but if he's old enough that he should have lost all his baby feathers by this time, it's definitely odd that he still has some hen-style tailfeathers.

Old 04-02-2017, 02:59 AM
Adult

Cockatiel Information
Number of Cockatiels: 3
ParrotletsRock is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tielfan View Post
Another possibility is that he actually does have two pearl genes and technically is visual pearl, but the markings never actually developed for some reason. Pearl does seem to be somewhat prone to disruption, and no one knows why.

What's odd about the pearl-looking feather in the baby picture is that it looks like a new feather that's growing in. You'd expect a young male to grow in adult-male tailfeathers, unless he's very young and is replacing a tail feather that got knocked out by accident. I don't know how old he is right now, but if he's old enough that he should have lost all his baby feathers by this time, it's definitely odd that he still has some hen-style tailfeathers.
In the original pix he is about 13 months old, in the baby pic he is about 6 weeks old, I believe he was one that knocked out his tail or part of it in a night fright... if you look at the pearl baby, he is missing his entire tail!
Old 04-02-2017, 01:59 PM
Super Tiel

Cockatiel Information

At 13 months old he might still have some baby feathers if he's a "slow molter". A couple of my guys molt less frequently than average, and one of them took two years to lose the last of his baby feathers! It wasn't related to pied either, because they're not even split.

Closed Thread