Cockatiel Articles

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Cockatiels Forums > Cockatiels > Your Cockatiels Health

Notices

Your Cockatiels Health Ask questions about your cockatiels health here.

Closed Thread

Old 04-06-2017, 02:22 AM
Fledging

Cockatiel Information
Number of Cockatiels: 5
Cockatiel Experience Level: Cockatiel Owner
SilverSage is on a distinguished road

Sometimes I wonder how much experience with sick birds people have.

As someone with a large personal flock, a rescuer, foster care provider, and breeder who has been working with parrots professionally for over 15 years I can tell you; this is an emergency! Maybe you would take it more seriously if you have had the heartbreaking experience of having birds die on the vet table because you waited HOURS too long to get them to the vet, forget DAYS!

Why the delay? Is the life of your bird not worth the inconvenience on the small chance she isn't ALMOST DEAD and MIGHT be able to wait a few days? Why? What good reason is there NOT to go to the vet immediately when two extremely experienced professionals are insisting that this is an emergency?

You came here asking if you should be worried. The answer is YES.

You asked if you had time to wait, the answer is NO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Green Cheeked Conures: Flick, Cache, Titan
Indian Ringeck Parakeets: Blue, Kamehameha, Ka'iulani, Kahili, Shadow, Ali'i, Noni, Pono, Smokey, Hapu'u
Budgie: Napoleon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2017, 02:47 AM
Super Tiel

Cockatiel Information
Number of Cockatiels: 3
Cockatiel Experience Level: Cockatiel Enthusiast
enigma731 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSage View Post
Sometimes I wonder how much experience with sick birds people have.
23 years owning birds, rescue experience, including 3 special needs 'tiels, one of whom has chronic serious GI problems. Also a human healthcare provider. Just, you know, saying.

I do understand that birds hide their illnesses and may be seriously ill by the time they show symptoms. I also understand that the OP asked whether this was an emergency or not. The criteria I listed (demeanor, appetite, current status of symptoms) are what multiple avian vets I've worked with use to evaluate that. If the bird is eating, playing, and not currently showing symptoms, most vets would not consider that to be an emergency.

It's fine if you disagree with me. It's fine if you want to give different advice. What's not fine is assuming that you know what anyone else's credentials are, or implying that people are somehow ignorant for having a different perspective than you do. It's also not very nice to imply that an OP somehow doesn't value their bird's life because they asked how serious a situation is.
Old 04-06-2017, 02:50 AM
Fledging

Cockatiel Information

I am not implying they do not care; I am phrasing it in a way that I hope will encourage them to look at and evaluate the risks from a different perspective. I'm sorry if my approach was overly rough; this week I have already tried to help 2 people get the vet help they needed and both birds have died due to them delaying proper care. It rips my heart out every time, and every time the owner wishes they had taken action sooner. The worst thing that can happen when you rush in a bird who doesn't need rushing is you lose some money. The worst thing that can happen if you don't rush a bird who does need rushing is they die.

Indian Ringeck Parakeets: Blue, Kamehameha, Ka'iulani, Kahili, Shadow, Ali'i, Noni, Pono, Smokey, Hapu'u

Old 04-06-2017, 11:22 AM
Super Tiel

Cockatiel Information
Number of Cockatiels: 14
Cockatiel Experience Level: Cockatiel Breeder
tielfan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
My was passing only urine / urates today 4 times with no faeces.when we called vet.he asked to give sporidox .1 ml.we gave it to him.but after taking that my cutie thrower up 3 times .But then he ate lil pellets and have two poops with green faeces.not sure what needs to be done now but he is sitting on his perch sleeping with his head on his back.can anyone explain what's goin on
It sounds like the medication may be helping. Do you mean Sporidex rather than Sporidox? Sporidex is an antibiotic in the cephalexin class: https://healdove.com/health-care-ind...ts-of-Sporidex

Sporidox seems to be a disinfectant. http://www.catalog.md/drugs/sporidox-plus.html

Did the vet actually see the bird, or did he just give advice over the phone?

It will be helpful to keep the bird warm. Put a heating pad under half the cage, or cover one end with a towel and shine a lamp on it so the heat goes into the cage. Make sure the lamp isn't so close that it could set the towel on fire. The reason for heating only half the cage is so the bird can move to the other side if it gets too hot.

Providing electrolytes is beneficial too. Pedialyte (a rehydration drink for human babies) can be used, or a sports drink like Gatorade. There are simple online recipes to make your own:
http://www.webmd.com/hw-popup/rehydr...navbar=hw86827

http://clearingmyemptynest.blogspot....-homemade.html

All my posts and all photos belonging to me are copyrighted by me. All rights reserved.

My website: http://www.littlefeatheredbuddies.com/
Old 04-06-2017, 02:28 PM
Chick

Cockatiel Information
Number of Cockatiels: 1
arnabsri is on a distinguished road

Thank u tielfan for reply. Vet actually gave advice first at phone as he was not available for 6 hrs. the poop gradually became normal and cutie was eating his pellets drinking water.at evening we took him to vet where he examined and said the bird is active playful and poop is normal so need of antibiotics anymore.my cutie is eating drinking preening and running around the cage as usual.thanks to all of you for your helps

Last edited by arnabsri; 04-06-2017 at 02:31 PM..
Old 04-06-2017, 03:37 PM
Chick

Cockatiel Information
None
EllenD is on a distinguished road

First of all, to KimChee, please just get your bird to the avian vet immediately, make sure they do fecal smears and cultures from his throat, nostrils, and crop, please insist upon it as it's the only way to ensure that your bird is properly diagnosed and given the correct medications to treat him. And please let up know how he is doing and what the vet said and did, as we're obviously concerned.

I don't think it was at all wise to tell the OP that the situation with her cockatiel was all of a sudden "not an emergency". I agree 100% with SilverSage, as she is totally and completely correct. Forgetting that birds instinctively hide any signs or symptoms of illness for as long as they can, we all know that, the OP's bird exhibited diarrhea + vomiting + sitting on the bottom of the cage, and then when we asked how the bird was doing and it looked the next day she said "He looks tired and sick". This is an emergency. Infections do not just clear up on their own and go away, I'm sorry but they just don't. And also I have to say that it's quite irresponsible to say that "It's not actually that uncommon for birds to have unexplained episodes of vomiting that pass on their own". In the 31 years that I've owned birds and the 20+ years I have bred birds I have never seen a bird that had the combination of symptoms the OP's bird displayed plus looking "tired and sick" and seen the bird just suddenly recover. Maybe you didn't read all the OP's posts or something, I don't know, but this was not just an isolated episode of a little vomiting as you wrote it off to be, it was long-term diarrhea, vomiting, and sitting on the bottom of the cage combined with the bird looking very unwell and being very lethargic. Can you honestly say that "It's actually not uncommon" for a bird with these symptoms to just get better?

The problem, at least the problem that I have with most people (I cannot speak for SilverSage) that have a sick or injured bird and come on to the forum because they say they want advice from experienced bird people, is that they don't take their bird's condition seriously, probably because they are not at all knowledgeable about birds, and when they are told that their bird needs to go to an avian vet immediately they either totally ignore the advice that they sought, or they fight it. Bird health/medicine is not at all like that of dogs, cats, or people for that matter, and I think most people that have birds as pets, especially new owners, is that this is exactly how they think. I get very frustrated, angry, and sometimes absolutely enraged with the actions, or lack there of, of most bird owners. And honestly I personally don't really care if people get angry with me because I'm forceful or aggressive in my replies, if me being harsh gets a sick bird to an avian vet and saves it life then it was well worth not being popular.

I've been a member of this particular forum for a little over a year and I think it's an awesome group, by far the most knowledgeable group of bird lovers on the internet. My only complaint is that when someone comes on here and newly joins because their bird is really very sick or badly injured, and has been sick for some time already, or worse, they somehow injured their bird badly days or weeks earlier and have done nothing at all about it and they want "home remedies" or whatever, when one of us is a bit forceful with our answers, telling them they must take their bird to an avian vet immediately, we are the ones who people get angry with, not the OP who is neglecting their bird! My breaking point is when I tell someone that they need to get their bird to an avian vet immediately, that their bird is very sick or badly injured and in pain, and their response is something like "I can't afford to take him to a vet" or "I'm just looking for home remedies", or even worse, they say something like "I know he's in pain but I think he's better, he'll be fine" or "Are you sure I need a vet?", or the worst, like in this post, after multiple members tell the OP that their bird is very seriously ill and needs to go to an avian vet right now, they say "Well I got an appointment for 3 days from now. That will be OK, right?" No, it won't be OK, not at all, which is why we told you right away that they are very sick and need to go now! It's like people think that we're kidding or something, or they just really don't want to take their bird to the vet, because of money or time or whatever reason, and they just fight us on it. If you come on to a forum filled with very experienced bird owners, breeders, and people trained in avian medicine to ask for advice, and you are told by multiple people that your bird could die very soon without immediate vet care, you better believe that we mean it.

As SilverSage already said, it is so frustrating and painful watching helpless birds die needlessly all the time because their owners refuse to get them proper medical care. For the life of me I will never understand why people buy pets, any pets, and don't feel responsible for getting them medical treatment when they need it. It's actually much, much worse on my bearded dragon forums, to the point where I cannot even log on anymore. It's like people think it's a totally appropriate and understandable answer to say "I just can't afford to take him to a vet. I just came on here looking for help, but no one here wants to help me so I'll find another forum that will". They think what they are saying is justified. And without fail, every time someone responds with "I'm sorry, I'm not trying to be mean, but if you can't afford to get medical care for you pet whenever they need it then you should not have any pets at all, and should rehome him to someone that can", this is the person that gets jumped on by other members because we're being too harsh or too mean. They don't however jump on the person who purposely brought a pet into their home knowing that they can't afford to take proper care of it. I've seen many bird and bearded dragon owners on the forums that cannot afford to buy their pet food!!! Why in the world would you go out and buy a pet that you can't afford to feed? I just had this on my bearded dragon forum, a new member joined so that he could post a photo of his bearded dragon and ask if he looked too skinny, and then to ask why he wasn't growing appropriately. I assumed his bearded dragon was around 3 months old based on the photo, turns out it was almost a year old! When I asked him to give his daily diet he said he fed him 7-8 crickets a day along with some romaine lettuce. No multivitamin supplements at all, and he was dusting the crickets with calcium twice a week. Now for those of you who don't know, an 11 month old bearded dragon should be fed it's live feeder insects until they stop eating them every day, which usually amounts to somewhere between 20-30 crickets a day, and the crickets should be dusted with calcium every single day for the first year, then 3-4 times a week after a year. He should also get his crickets dusted with a multivitamin 3-4 times a week for the first year. And their salad, which should be offered fresh each day and also sprinkled with calcium every day for the first year, should not be just lettuce, or lettuce at all. It should be a good mix, lots of variety every day, of fresh veggies that are full of vitamins, minerals, and nourishment, not full of only water. So when I told this guy that his 11 month old dragon looked like a 3-4 month old, was emaciated, dehydrated, and certainly had pretty bad Metabolic Bone Disease showing, and that he should allow his dragon to eat feeder insects every single day until he stops eating them, which will probably be 20-30 crickets a day, and then he needed to throw out the lettuce and buy a variety of mixed veggies, his response to me was "Dude, if I could afford to feed him that many bugs and different veggies every day I would, trust me I wish I could. I have $15 a week to spend on his food, period". $15 won't pay for the fresh veggies and fruits a dragon needs in a week, let alone feeder insects. His beardie was dying of starvation, he knew it because that's the reason he posted his question and joined to begin with, and when told he needed to rehome his dragon before it died, he took off.

So these are the frustrations with desperately trying to get people to do what is right for their birds. The birds can't speak for themselves, so someone has to advocate for them. I'll be damned if I'm going to apologize for doing that.

"Dance like nobody's watching..."
Old 04-06-2017, 10:22 PM
Super Tiel

Cockatiel Information
Number of Cockatiels: 3
Cockatiel Experience Level: Cockatiel Enthusiast
enigma731 is on a distinguished road

As a healthcare provider, I think I have a different perspective. There IS a cost to reacting too aggressively and treating every situation as an emergency. It's important to prioritize, to have the response and treatment be proportional to the level of urgency. Treating overly aggressively doesn't just cost money, it stresses the animal and the human involved, it can cause serious side effects or complications from interventions that are not needed, and it can take crucial time away from another animal that really does need to be treated emergently. Triage practices exist for these reasons.

I also don't think that promoting panic or browbeating the owner actually helps to get the bird necessary care in the longrun. It's much more likely to just burn out or alienate the owner. If the overall goal is to promote good care for companion birds, then compassion for humans is important too.

Now, I am not saying that the bird in this particular situation did not need to be seen. I am saying that I think it is important to evaluate the most appropriate response in a given situation, and then decide how to react. Treating every sick bird as an emergency is irresponsible in its own way, as is using emotionally manipulative wording toward the owner.

Now, the bird in question in this thread has seen the vet, and I am not interested in further derailing this thread with this argument.
Old 04-07-2017, 09:48 AM
Hatching

Cockatiel Information
Number of Cockatiels: 1
Kimchee2016 is on a distinguished road

I'm sorry if I came across as "neglecting" my bird. I noticed she was sick two days ago and took her to a vet yesterday. I only asked again if I should take her because her symptoms had gone away. But thanks everyone for your advice. She slept over at the vets and they called to say she is doing well.
Old 04-12-2017, 12:54 PM
Chick

Cockatiel Information
None
EllenD is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimchee2016 View Post
I'm sorry if I came across as "neglecting" my bird. I noticed she was sick two days ago and took her to a vet yesterday. I only asked again if I should take her because her symptoms had gone away. But thanks everyone for your advice. She slept over at the vets and they called to say she is doing well.
I'm sorry KimChee, I wasn't at all talking about you when I was talking about people "neglecting their pets", I never thought you were neglecting your bird at all. I was only trying to explain in generalities why we sometimes get frustrated when trying to help people on forums. I wasn't at all angry or upset with you at all, I was displeased with people minimizing what myself and other members had already told you. I hope your bird is okay, I'm so glad you got him to the vet, I saw your post saying it's lead poisoning (possibly), which is very serious but treatable, so hopefully the stay at the vet will help him, along with medications.

I too think sometimes we do jump to "it's an emergency" too soon, which can cause a bird stress, waste money, etc., but that is all completely relative to the signs and symptoms of the bird, at least that's what I go by. In this particular case the bird is obviously very sick and needed to see an avian vet immediately, as I said, SilverSage said, as well as others...If KimChee had not taken her bird to the vet it may have died already... Hence our sense of urgency, which was 100% warranted based on the bird's symptoms.

"Dance like nobody's watching..."
Old 04-12-2017, 02:28 PM
Fledging

Cockatiel Information

I missed the other post; if it is metal poisoning then I'm really glad you took her in; I almost lost two conures to metal poisoning a couple of years ago.

Closed Thread