Cockatiel Articles

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Cockatiels Forums > Cockatiels > Your Cockatiels Health

Notices

Your Cockatiels Health Ask questions about your cockatiels health here.

Closed Thread

Old 04-05-2017, 09:13 PM
Chick

Cockatiel Information
Number of Cockatiels: 19
Cockatiel Experience Level: Cockatiel Breeder
ninfatiel is on a distinguished road
Default yeast infection. Please advice

Hello everyone! here I am again, asking for advice. Today early in the morning-while hand feeding my babies I noticed the signs of yeast. Even though I had and bred cockatiels for years I never had that problem. First thing I did- I phoned my vet,but he said he has no experience with crop flushing,well what to expect of him he is cat/dog vet and sadly-the best one I could find. Dont judge me harshly, I live in Mexico-developing country plus rather small city and when it comes to cockatiels,people are asking me what to do,because there is nowhere else to turn and I am asking here as my only source.. Anyway I run to medical supply store and got infants feeding tube and 20 cc syringe,educated myself on all Susanne Russo's articles I can find and attempted to flush crops-for 10 babies. I managed to get all liquid out but the hard part remained. I tried for 30 minutes solid on one poor chick-to manually squeeze the undigested seeds out via manual flushing. but just stressed the chick rather then got results. So this is what I do now- I add some "'Mother"'apple cider vinegar to parents water. As for babies-every few hours I suction all liquid out (it looks white) and when I can suction no more -refill with warm Gatorade with a pinch of baking soda in it. so far they all alive but my heart just breaks thinking of them. Poor little things. Their ages are between 5-12 days old and they are from 2 couples but they are all sick.
What I wanted to ask- had anyone ever manage to get the hard part (undigested see
seeds and so) out and what else can I do.. I sorry to bother anyone but I just feel so desperate,I guess last time I felt like that when my birds catched protozoan infection last summer. And Folks on this site had helped me a great deal
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2017, 10:13 PM
Chick

Cockatiel Information
None
EllenD is on a distinguished road

Oh my god, stop, please stop what you're doing, never ever manually squeeze a bird's crop, let alone a baby bird, and I hate to think about what they went through while you were trying to stick tubes into their crops. I don't know what else to say except stop please, just stop...

You have to treat the yeast infection, not get the "solids" out. Even if you got the solids out the yeast will simply grow right back! It's a microbe, you cannot get it all out. The idea here is to treat the infection and break up the solid food that is in there so they digest it. Again, stop trying to get it out, just please stop. I'm surprised that you didn't kill any of them, especially the one you squeezed the **** out of for 30 minutes...Why? Don't be surprised if you lose that baby, my heart breaks for all of them but my god that little one you did that to...What would possess you to do that? I know you didn't see that anywhere...

Please go to the link I'm providing below and follow the detailed directions and illustrations for treating both the infection and the slow crop/crop stasis. Again, even if you got all the solids out of their crops the yeast infection would just cause it to happen again. And you need to give these treatments to the actual babies, not the parents! Follow the directions closely, they work. As a breeder of 20 years I can assure you that what you have been doing is nothing but torture, whether you meant well or not. Use your head please, I'm sorry, I don't mean to be nasty to you, but you had no business breeding baby birds. That's the entire reason this happened, because you bred birds without knowing anything about how to treat common issues that arise.

Most importantly and I'll stress this again, STOP TRYING TO FLUSH THEIR CROPS COMPLETELY, BOTH WITH TUBES AND BY SQUEEZING THE POOR BABIES! Do not stick anything else down into their crops at all please! No tubes, no nothing. You're lucky you didn't aspirate them and kill them instantly, lose a tube in their crops, puncture their crops, tear their crops, and make their infections much worse by introducing bacteria into them..
Just follow these directions, no more guessing about what an actual avian vet would do..

http://www.justcockatiels.net/sour-a...-remedies.html

"Dance like nobody's watching..."
Old 04-05-2017, 10:17 PM
Chick

Cockatiel Information
None
EllenD is on a distinguished road

By the way, the next time something goes wrong and you don't know what to do, try using GOOGLE before you torture and nearly kill the poor babies. I just Google searched "Baby bird with yeast infection in crop" and the link I gave you was the second result, along with 500,000 other pages with the same information and instructions! Use your head! Think first!

"Dance like nobody's watching..."

Old 04-05-2017, 10:53 PM
Super Tiel

Cockatiel Information
Number of Cockatiels: 14
tielfan is on a distinguished road

Yeast is a fungus infection, and the "real" treatment for it is with prescription medication. Nystatin and flucanazole are frequently used to treat yeast infections in birds.

This article says at the bottom that nystatin can be added to handfeeding formula. http://www.peteducation.com/article....+1829&aid=3090 I have no idea what the dose would be however. Do you think that your dog and cat vet can look up this information successfully and help you get the medication? If not, you might be able to find an online vet who can advise you.

All my posts and all photos belonging to me are copyrighted by me. All rights reserved.

My website: http://www.littlefeatheredbuddies.com/
Old 04-05-2017, 10:59 PM
Super Tiel

Cockatiel Information

The OP said they are already following Susanne's advice, and her advice does include flushing the crop. We have a sticky thread on how to do it right here in this group. I posted the thread about five years ago but it's all quotes from Susanne, because she's the expert in this area and I most definitely am not: http://talkcockatiels.com/showthread.php?t=32584

Massaging the crop is part of the procedure.

Edited to add: the end part of Susanne's instructions mentions an antibiotic called Keflex. Antibiotics are helpful with bacterial infections, but yeast is a fungus not a bacterium, and antibiotics are not effective against it.

All my posts and all photos belonging to me are copyrighted by me. All rights reserved.

Last edited by tielfan; 04-05-2017 at 11:05 PM..
Old 04-05-2017, 11:23 PM
Super Tiel

Cockatiel Information

This line from the sticky thread article might be particularly relevant:
Quote:
[If the formula is coming out] but it still feels like there is something in the crop this could be yeast building up on the inside wall of the crop thickening the skin.
She doesn't say what to do about it in that thread however. Here's a different sticky thread with links to several of her other articles on crop problems: http://talkcockatiels.com/showthread.php?t=27514 Hopefully all the links still work. It's possible that you might find an answer there.

Old 04-06-2017, 01:16 AM
Super Tiel

Cockatiel Information
Number of Cockatiels: 3
Cockatiel Experience Level: Cockatiel Enthusiast
enigma731 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllenD View Post
Oh my god, stop, please stop what you're doing, never ever manually squeeze a bird's crop, let alone a baby bird, and I hate to think about what they went through while you were trying to stick tubes into their crops. I don't know what else to say except stop please, just stop...
I'm curious what you're basing this advice on? Flushing the crop is a legitimate medical procedure used to treat digestive problems, and it is not painful if performed correctly. Putting a tube into the crop to deliver food and/or medication is the safest way to treat this kind of problem, and does not carry a risk of aspiration (unless the tube is put down the airway instead, which is hard if not impossible to do) because it goes directly into the crop, which has no connection to the lungs.

It also appears that you didn't read the full article you recommended/linked, since it includes a description of the same procedure you're calling torture.

Unfortunately all I can really recommend to the OP at this point is to try to work with a vet who can give you the prescription medications tielfan already suggested. Failing that, the actions already taken seem to be the most appropriate.
Old 04-06-2017, 01:36 AM
Chick

Cockatiel Information

Tielfan, thank you very much for your advice-not only to me but to so many others on that site. I have seeing all the info on the links already and not just today, but I do regullary read info about cockatiels since education is never ending prosess. I do not know why EllenD is blaming me,if yo do google search or watch videos "how to" it says everywhere that crop must be completely emptied before proceeding with remediesBdv all babies are alive and dont look as bloated as they use to. I can get any medicine I need without prescription.But what I do know about fungus is that baking soda its number one enemy,better then any antifungal since fungus just cant develop resistance to it. Since condition of babies improved slightly since morning, I allow myself a tiny ray of hope.. I started this tread to know more about other bird owners experience with flushing, cause even Susanne's articles dont cover everything
Old 04-06-2017, 10:59 AM
Super Tiel

Cockatiel Information

Thanks, I'm glad I could help. I think maybe EllenD didn't realize that the webpage she sent you to belongs to the same person whose advice you are already following.

Compared to the US, Mexico is like the Land of Opportunity in terms of being able to get medications without a major hassle. So there's a good chance that you could get nystatin or fluconazole if you wanted to. The problem is figuring out how much to give. There might not be anyone here who can answer that question for you, but there are some very experienced breeders on the National Cockatiel Society Facebook page who probably can: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1497247917251218/

The problem is that they have a strict rule against giving medical advice in public, to protect themselves from liability if someone loses a bird as a result of the advice. But you might get an answer if you post there, say you realize that the group rules don't allow a public answer, and ask whether anyone can give you advice in a PM. It's worth a try if you're interested in going this route. Tell them what you're already doing and ask whether you need to give antifungal medication too. At best you might get some useful advice and at worst they'll delete your thread. Don't tell them I sent you lol, they might not appreciate me trying to bend their rules.

Old 04-06-2017, 12:05 PM
Chick

Cockatiel Information

Tielfan,thanks again. Babies are definitely better now, today in the morning I''ve found empty crops. I guess constant vigilance and early intervention is what makes a difference in life or death of the bird, on the other hand I am no longer scared to do tube feedings and in a future this may come handy to help feed sick adult birds if needed. And of course, I am entirely grateful to Sussane Russo for her great articles,which I am sure had helped thousands
Closed Thread

Tags
crop flushing, yeast