Cockatiel Articles

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Cockatiels Forums > Cockatiels > Your Cockatiels Health

Notices

Your Cockatiels Health Ask questions about your cockatiels health here.

Old 04-07-2017, 06:05 PM
Egg

Cockatiel Information
None
Cynamonka is on a distinguished road
Default Please help me - inflammation of the gland?

Hello, I have problem with my male cockatiel (10 years old). I have noticed that he often puts the beak in the parts of the gland. It started two days ago. When he wanna sleep, I noticed that he is constantly lifting his foot up and then down, like he's stamping. It's like a twitch or something, either one or the other, or both. He's acting normal, he's very happy... Exept that. I know that I should probably go to the avian vet, but there is no one in my area. I will try to find one, but what can it be? I noticed blood in gland area, I think that he's scratching it. What could happen to him?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2017, 06:54 PM
Chick

Cockatiel Information
None
EllenD is on a distinguished road

I don't understand what you mean by "the gland". What gland? And how much blood are we talking about? Is the bird lifting his foot up and down related to the "gland" problem, or is it a separate problem? And does that happen only when it's bedtime or does it happen at other times?

We'll certainly try to help you, though it's always better to take your bird to a certified avian vet immediately when your bird is having a problem. Please try to explain what you are talking about, a photo of "the gland area" and the blood, and another photo of your bird as a whole, maybe while he's doing the foot thing will also help a lot.

"Dance like nobody's watching..."
Old 04-07-2017, 06:55 PM
Chick

Cockatiel Information
None
EllenD is on a distinguished road

Also, where do you live? We may be able to help you find a certified avian vet if you let us know.

"Dance like nobody's watching..."

Old 04-07-2017, 09:16 PM
Super Tiel

Cockatiel Information
Number of Cockatiels: 14
Cockatiel Experience Level: Cockatiel Breeder
tielfan is on a distinguished road

Yes, we need more information on which gland you mean.

If the foot problem is a sudden change, he might have a bruise or other small injury that makes it uncomfortable for him to stand the way he usually does when he sleeps. If he's had some kind of accident, that might also be the reason for the blood you see, and for him to be touching an area that bothers him. If all this is the result of a minor accident he should get better soon, but if it doesn't go away there may be a more serious problem.

All my posts and all photos belonging to me are copyrighted by me. All rights reserved.

My website: http://www.littlefeatheredbuddies.com/
Old 04-08-2017, 10:35 AM
Super Tiel

Cockatiel Information

I was thinking about this and wondered if "the gland" means the vent (the place where the poop comes out). If that's what it is, you can hold him in your hand and inspect the area to see if it looks all right. If he's got something stuck there you can clean it off gently with warm water. If something is wrong there it might be uncomfortable when he stands in certain ways, and that's why you're seeing him do odd things with his feet.

Is there any possibility that he is actually female? If that's the case then I would be concerned about possible egg binding problems.

All my posts and all photos belonging to me are copyrighted by me. All rights reserved.

Old 04-08-2017, 10:53 AM
Adult

Cockatiel Information
Number of Cockatiels: 3
ParrotletsRock is on a distinguished road

I think the OP means the oil gland.. on the back just above the base of the tail. Blood there could be caused by irritation caused by blockage or a tumour (I am sure other things as well) this could in my opinion pinch the leg nerves and cause the stamping feet too.This in my opinion will need to be seen by a vet for proper diagnosis and treatment, which may be as simple as antibiotics or as invasive as surgery. As stated above if you give us your general location we can help find a vet for you.
Old 04-08-2017, 11:48 AM
Egg

Cockatiel Information
None

Hello again, thank you all for answers. I am from Poland. Yes, it's about oil gland, I didn't knew how it's correct in English. I can't take photo of my bird, 'casue when I try, he turns away. I spotted small drop of blood in oil gland area yesterady, but today it's look like very little scub. I do not see any tumor or anything like it, it looks normal except for this blood yesterday and little irritation, does the tumor give such sudden symptoms? This started only two days ago... He just statred to molt, new feathers are growing, in the oil gland area too... Is it possible that some growing feather bothers him and he scratches it very much and this feather pinch nerves? He is 100% male. Foot tapping takes place when he fall asleep, when he sleeps, nothing happens and this started two days ago too...

Last edited by Cynamonka; 04-08-2017 at 11:52 AM..
Old 04-08-2017, 06:11 PM
Super Tiel

Cockatiel Information

It might be because of the molt. New pinfeathers can be very annoying. You could hold him gently and inspect the area to see if there's anything obvious wrong.

A big tumor can cause an obvious abnormal bulge in the skin. A small tumor might not be visible at all, but it would also be less likely to press on nerves and cause problems.

Old 04-08-2017, 06:21 PM
Super Tiel

Cockatiel Information

I am not finding anyone in Poland who is officially certified as an avian veterinarian. But according to this website there are more than 9500 vets in Poland and it seems likely that at least afew of them will know something about birds: http://ebvs.eu/countries/poland

I don't know how you would locate them though. Maybe you could find them through the resources on the website. It lists 6 veterinary schools in Poland, so my suggestion would be to contact the one closest to you and ask whether they know someone who can treat a cockatiel. If there are any zoos near you, you could ask them too. They must have birds in their collection and would need someone to treat them.

Old 04-10-2017, 05:18 PM
Egg

Cockatiel Information
None

I found avian vet in my area, I visted her with my baby today. Turned out that it was feather cyst. She removed it. My bird is very sad now, he was very scared during removal the cyst. She prescribe him some vitamins and No-pick from Versele Laga. But... she said that I must give him vitamins everyday for month. And spray No-pick three times a day... Is not too long? May such a high dose of vitamins and this spray harm him?
Once again thank you all for help, especially you, tielfan!

Tags
foot, gland, inflammation, tapping