Cockatiel Articles

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Cockatiels Forums > Cockatiels > Your Cockatiels Health

Notices

Your Cockatiels Health Ask questions about your cockatiels health here.

Old 04-10-2017, 09:10 PM
Super Tiel

Cockatiel Information
Number of Cockatiels: 14
Cockatiel Experience Level: Cockatiel Breeder
tielfan is on a distinguished road

I'm glad that you were able to find a vet and get it taken care of.

The internet says that feather cysts occur during a molt when a new feather can't break through the skin so it curls up underneath the skin instead. They're saying that good nutrition helps prevent this from happening, so that's probably the reason that your vet prescribed the vitamins.

Some sources are saying that amino acids (protein) are an important factor, for example https://www.beautyofbirds.com/feathercysts.html It's true that it's hard for birds to get enough methionine and lysine in the diet. But then these sources blow it by listing several foods that won't actually help provide these amino acids. It's really lysine that's the most difficult amino acid to get, and the best way to provide more is with peas, legumes (like lentils), and beans. If your bird will eat these things it will help improve his protein intake. In general these foods need to be cooked to get rid of natural toxins. If he doesn't like peas and beans you could give him some hemp seed, it's a better source of protein than the other seeds. Hemp is high in fat so don't give too much of it.

The internet says that No-Pick is a bitter-tasting spray that discourages the bird from picking at its feathers. Your bird has a wound where the feather cyst was, and this wound can't heal if the bird keeps picking at it. If you're concerned about the spray you could use it for a little while to give the wound time to start healing, and then see whether he picks at the wound if you don't use the spray. If he doesn't pick at the wound, it's not a problem. If he does pick, it will be best to keep using the spray until the wound is completely healed.

All my posts and all photos belonging to me are copyrighted by me. All rights reserved.

My website: http://www.littlefeatheredbuddies.com/

Last edited by tielfan; 04-10-2017 at 09:12 PM..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2017, 12:43 PM
Adult

Cockatiel Information
Number of Cockatiels: 1
Cockatiel Experience Level: Cockatiel Lover
Janalee is on a distinguished road
Default gland

So glad you found out the cause of your bird's problem. Hope he's better soon!
Old 04-15-2017, 04:50 AM
Egg

Cockatiel Information
None
Cynamonka is on a distinguished road
Worried

thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tielfan View Post
The internet says that No-Pick is a bitter-tasting spray that discourages the bird from picking at its feathers. Your bird has a wound where the feather cyst was, and this wound can't heal if the bird keeps picking at it. If you're concerned about the spray you could use it for a little while to give the wound time to start healing, and then see whether he picks at the wound if you don't use the spray. If he doesn't pick at the wound, it's not a problem. If he does pick, it will be best to keep using the spray until the wound is completely healed.
yeah, it doesn't work. The wound is healing, but now new feather is growing from there. It bothers him a lot, he still trying to clean in this area, and pick new feather. He often flips his tail. And the foot tapping come back :/ When he fall asleep, his foot is tapping, and sometimes he shaking his head. When he sleep, nothing happens. Can growing feather press the nerves? Or maybe cyst come back? Is it possible to return so soon? The vet removed everything.

I recorded when he's cleaning this place https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1v...JtTUpaV2c/view

Last edited by Cynamonka; 04-15-2017 at 12:02 PM..

Old 04-15-2017, 12:27 PM
Super Tiel

Cockatiel Information

You need to call your vet and talk to them about this. They might let you email the video to them as a preliminary step instead of coming in right away.

I doubt that the new feather is pressing on nerves, but it may be causing pain and irritation in the skin that makes it difficult for him to stand comfortably. Is the picking causing any damage to the skin? If nothing else works, it's possible to put a plastic cone around a bird's neck to stop it from picking at the wound, similar to what they do with dogs. But this is obviously very upsetting to the bird, so I hope you can find an easier solution.

All my posts and all photos belonging to me are copyrighted by me. All rights reserved.

Old 04-15-2017, 12:41 PM
Egg

Cockatiel Information
None

Because we have Easter, gabinet my vet is open in Tuesday... I think that he is licking the wound, not picking, so he don't hurt skin. When I talk wit vet before removed the cyst, she said that foot tapping is probably causing by cyst. His dropings are normal, he's acting normal... exept that.
Old 04-15-2017, 01:21 PM
Super Tiel

Cockatiel Information

It would be better if he wasn't picking at all of course, but the situation is reasonably OK as long as he isn't picking the wound open. If he does pick it open you can do try calling their office - they might have a message on their phone with an emergency number you can call. If that doesn't work you can try to find an emergency clinic, or see if you can find a pet store that has the collars. Here's a website link that has a good example of the different sizes that are available: http://www.affordablevet.net/birds/k...xan-e-collars/

Old 04-15-2017, 01:44 PM
Egg

Cockatiel Information
None

In Poland parrots aren't popular pets, so ordinary pet shops don't have stuff like this. And im my area there are no clinics that are familiar with parrots :/ Everything is closed for the holidays, which in Poland last two days, but today lots of places are closed too, including my vet gabinet. They turn off the phone too :/ Have you heard of similar experiences like my bird? I searched the internet and nothing matching... I love him so much and I'm worried...
Old 04-15-2017, 05:42 PM
Super Tiel

Cockatiel Information

Feather cysts are fairly common. I hope he's just feeling some discomfort during the healing process right now, and it will soon stop bothering him. If it continues to be a problem, the vet can remove that feather follicle. There won't be any more problems in that particular spot because bird won't have the ability to grow a feather there.

Old 04-15-2017, 06:09 PM
Egg

Cockatiel Information
None

I've looked at him more closely and I noticed 3 blood feathers in tiel. They are young and still growing but I never seen any before. Maybe they somehow irritate the nerves?
Old 04-15-2017, 07:53 PM
Super Tiel

Cockatiel Information

New feathers are always blood feathers. They can be itchy and annoying.

Tags
foot, gland, inflammation, tapping