Cockatiel Articles

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Cockatiels Forums > Cockatiels > Your Cockatiels Health

Notices

Your Cockatiels Health Ask questions about your cockatiels health here.

Old 04-12-2017, 10:35 AM
Egg

Cockatiel Information
Number of Cockatiels: 1
Cockatiel Experience Level: Cockatiel Lover
Dragona is on a distinguished road
Shocked Full crop even after several hours

I wrote in another thread, but i guess it's better to just open a new one to have more info.

As i previously said:

Quote:
[...] I'm concerned for my tiel didn't empty his crop after the morning feed :\
His crop feels pretty... bloated (i don't know if it's food or air?). It's only been 7h since morning, but he doesn't seem as "energetic" as yesterday. It could be because he's with me in my room, and given cuddles, so no screaming,, but even yet he isn't begging for food. Not much.

He still tried to fly away (and managed to), and is currently playing with a rag.

Question is: should i be concerned?
Now i noticed that he's sleepy, very much so. He never stays still when i'm holding it, yet now he's sleeping.

I'm very concerned, as I read about slow/sour crops, and I don't feel i could help him now (even though i can try). He never had this problem in the weeks i had him...

For context: i let him nibble at an apple yesterday, maybe it stuck inside?

Thank you for every help you can give me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2017, 12:24 PM
Adult

Cockatiel Information
Janalee is on a distinguished road
Default full crop

Do you have an avian vet nearby? If your bird does have sour crop, it would need to be flushed by a vet. He also might need antibiotics. It would be good to have a vet look at him, even if it isn't sour crop. Have you noticed any bad smell coming from your bird's mouth? Since i is decaying food, it does smell bad.
I hope your little friend will be well soon!
Old 04-12-2017, 12:31 PM
Chick

Cockatiel Information
None
EllenD is on a distinguished road

You need to get him to an avian vet immediately to flush his crop. This is very treatable but urgent. In the meantime follow this link for some things you can do in the meantime, but if your cockatiel is an adult and this has happened he probably has a yeast infection and needs an avian vet immediately.

http://www.justcockatiels.net/sour-a...-remedies.html

"Dance like nobody's watching..."

Old 04-12-2017, 01:30 PM
Egg

Cockatiel Information
Dragona is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janalee View Post
Do you have an avian vet nearby? If your bird does have sour crop, it would need to be flushed by a vet. He also might need antibiotics. It would be good to have a vet look at him, even if it isn't sour crop. Have you noticed any bad smell coming from your bird's mouth? Since i is decaying food, it does smell bad.
I hope your little friend will be well soon!
There aren't any bad smells comming from him, only the "feathery bird" one that is normal.

I do not have an avian vet narby, unfortunately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllenD View Post
You need to get him to an avian vet immediately to flush his crop. This is very treatable but urgent. In the meantime follow this link for some things you can do in the meantime, but if your cockatiel is an adult and this has happened he probably has a yeast infection and needs an avian vet immediately.

http://www.justcockatiels.net/sour-a...-remedies.html

He's not an adult, he has barely 4/5 weeks.

I read how to do a flush, but is it really 100% necessary? I don't want to hurt him.

Ansd by "i have not an avian vet nearby" means it is 2 hours away.

Edit: Also i didn't give him food in the afternoon feeding... Do i have to give him the night feeding? Even if only a few ml?

Last edited by Dragona; 04-12-2017 at 01:39 PM..
Old 04-12-2017, 02:33 PM
Adult

Cockatiel Information
Number of Cockatiels: 3
ParrotletsRock is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragona View Post
There aren't any bad smells comming from him, only the "feathery bird" one that is normal.

I do not have an avian vet narby, unfortunately.

He's not an adult, he has barely 4/5 weeks.

I read how to do a flush, but is it really 100% necessary? I don't want to hurt him.

Ansd by "i have not an avian vet nearby" means it is 2 hours away.

Edit: Also i didn't give him food in the afternoon feeding... Do i have to give him the night feeding? Even if only a few ml?

Adding fresh food on top of sour food in the crop can be a recipe for disaster.. it sounds like he is going downhill and you really need to see if you can get him to that vet, check vets closer to you and see if any are exotics vets ... my vet is not an avian vet , he is an exotics vet but very knowledgeable with birds and does treat them. With out getting the proper antibiotics, antifungals and crop motility meds your chick may not make it.
Old 04-12-2017, 06:43 PM
Chick

Cockatiel Information
None
EllenD is on a distinguished road

You need to get him to a vet immediately! I had no idea this was a 4 week old baby bird! Most likely you are not keeping him in a brooder so he isn't nearly warm enough and this is the main reason he is not digesting his food. He has gone into something called "crop stasis", and if you don't get him to a vet he's going to die. Also, have you been using a cooking thermometer to make sure his formula is always fed between 105-110 degrees Fahrenheit? If too cold crop stasis and yeast infections will happen, if even one degree too hot you could have burnt his crop, which would also be fatal. Either way he's now in a situation where you absolutely cannot feed him on a full crop that is full of now sour, rotting food. But to answer your question yes, of course you must always feed him ALL of his daily feedings, you should have him on a feeding schedule that takes away a feeding each week and a half or so. However, at 4 weeks he should be getting and begging for and giving a feeding response for and eating a full amount every 3-4 hours. He isn't begging, he's not eating what you're offering, and he has no feeding response because he's in crop stasis and now you absolutely cannot feed him as long as his crop is full of rotting food. And he most likely will also need an antifungal and/or an antibiotic because along with the crop stasis and rotting food comes infections.

If I were you I'd be in my car with my baby bird and driving the 2 hours to see the certified avian vet! 2 hours is not far at all to see a certified avian vet that knows what he's doing as opposed to a general dog/cat vet that may only be able to prescribe medicines, which will do you no good at all without a major crop flush, yes he needs a major crop flush, probably multiple flushes with specific solutions. But unless you have experience doing a crop flush and you have different sized crop tubes to do them, you absolutely should not even be attempting it because you will likely aspirate him and if that happens he will die instantly.

Drive the 2 hours! I've seen plenty of people drive 8 hours one way to save their birds! 2 hours is nothing! In the meantime you need to get that baby into a brooder or a handmade brooder, and keep him between 85-90 degrees Fahrenheit, which he should have been kept at this entire time!!! He's going to die otherwise, either from infections or starvation or dehydration, so you have very limited options.

Old 04-12-2017, 06:47 PM
Moulting

Cockatiel Information
Number of Cockatiels: 4
shaenne is on a distinguished road

Mixing a couple drops of apple cider vinegar with warm water (not hot, but a bit hotter than luke warm) and feeding a few cc's with a syringe, skipping the next feed and leaving the baby to rest for a few hours very often did the trick for me. This was for my Eclectus though and only effective when crop issues were caught relatively early.

There are also some helpful remedies here; http://www.justcockatiels.net/sour-a...-remedies.html

I do recommend getting your baby to a vet so do ring around and try to find someone that can help him, but I also know how scarce they can be. Before we moved to where we are now, my closest avian vet was 2.5 hours away. Not particularly helpful when you have a baby tiel with crop issues!

Because of that, I did learn how to perform a crop flush myself. It looks daunting but it's actually very easy. I highly recommend having someone help you though.

Also, to the above post.. 85-90F (29-32C) is too warm for a baby of this age. At 4-5 weeks he/she should be fully feathered or very close to it, and the brooder temperature needs to come down as they feather out so they don't over heat. At this age I generally have my brooder/s at 79-82F (26-27C).

Also 2 hours IS a long drive to some people. It may not be to you but other people have different circumstances.

Last edited by shaenne; 04-12-2017 at 06:59 PM..
Old 04-12-2017, 09:29 PM
Super Tiel

Cockatiel Information
Number of Cockatiels: 14
Cockatiel Experience Level: Cockatiel Breeder
tielfan is on a distinguished road

I don't have enough information to determine whether there's a crop problem or not - it certainly sounds like it could be. Can you push the feathers aside to see what the crop area looks like?

But I'd like to remind everyone that this is a fledgling who has already taken his first flight. He is fully feathered and does not need to be kept warm in a brooder like a younger baby does. In the wild he would be sitting in a tree with his parents, not keeping warm in a nest.

Fledglings also don't eat as much as younger babies. They're not growing as fast as they were before, and they can't fly with a heavy crop weighing them down.

All my posts and all photos belonging to me are copyrighted by me. All rights reserved.

My website: http://www.littlefeatheredbuddies.com/

Last edited by tielfan; 04-12-2017 at 09:47 PM..
Old 04-12-2017, 11:51 PM
Super Tiel

Cockatiel Information
Number of Cockatiels: 3
Cockatiel Experience Level: Cockatiel Enthusiast
enigma731 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllenD View Post
But unless you have experience doing a crop flush and you have different sized crop tubes to do them, you absolutely should not even be attempting it because you will likely aspirate him and if that happens he will die instantly.

Drive the 2 hours! I've seen plenty of people drive 8 hours one way to save their birds! 2 hours is nothing! In the meantime you need to get that baby into a brooder or a handmade brooder, and keep him between 85-90 degrees Fahrenheit, which he should have been kept at this entire time!!! He's going to die otherwise, either from infections or starvation or dehydration, so you have very limited options.
Once again (like I said in the other thread), aspiration is not a risk unless you shove the tube down the airway instead of the esophagus (which almost physically impossible to do.) Crop tubing is actually much safer in this regard than delivering anything orally. Have you personally used a crop needle before?

I also think it's a hugely privileged statement to assume that everyone can drive two hours, and that "it's nothing." We don't even know if this bird has a crop problem, maybe let's not jump to "he's going to die."
Old 04-13-2017, 12:06 AM
Super Tiel

Cockatiel Information
Number of Cockatiels: 14
Cockatiel Experience Level: Cockatiel Breeder
tielfan is on a distinguished road

To Dragona: if you still can't get to a vet, do you know of any experienced breeders in your area who might be able to look at the baby and advise you? If there are any bird shops or pet bird clubs in your area, they might be able to help you locate someone.

Can you talk to the person that you bought him from? I'm assuming that they are either the breeder, or someone at a pet shop who was knowledgeable enough to take care of an unweaned baby.

All my posts and all photos belonging to me are copyrighted by me. All rights reserved.

My website: http://www.littlefeatheredbuddies.com/

Last edited by tielfan; 04-13-2017 at 12:09 AM..