Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

having trouble identifying genetics in cinnamon babies

3K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  quarterdane 
#1 ·
I’m trying to identify splits and maybe sex of some of these babies if possible and would appreciate any help in explaining differences. I have not named them yet so will refer to them by hatching order. I am aware of the advise not to pair like-to-like however these babies are bigger and better quality than their parents (imo).

Genetic calculator:

1.0 natural cinnamon /blue(whiteface)
x 0.1 natural cinnamon opaline(pearl)
% from all 1.0
50.0% 1.0 natural cinnamon /opaline(pearl) blue(whiteface)
50.0% 1.0 natural cinnamon /opaline(pearl)
% from all 0.1
50.0% 0.1 natural cinnamon /blue(whiteface)
50.0% 0.1 natural cinnamon

Some thoughts and observations:

No. 1: Normal cinnamon
No. 2: Yellow blotches on neck (maybe split to pearl and therefore male).
No. 3: Cheek patch deeper red (maybe male)
No. 4: Paler yellow (split to whiteface or something else psittacine-altering)

1st had yellow down. Either 2nd or 3rd baby had pale yellow down (2nd I think). 4th must have had pale yellow down as well.
Thanks

See less See more
#2 ·
It is difficult to tell the sex of a cockatiel when they are only babies and could have different feathers when molting, so you'll probably have to do a DNA sexing test or wait until they grow a bit older. I remember thinking Raichu was a male due to her bright colors and Hano being a female, but it ended up being the opposite! As for splits and the other genetics I'm not too sure since I'm not much of a expert of identifying some.

Those are some adorable cinnamons you got there, too!

#4 ·
My understanding is the yellow blotches (ticking) on the back of the neck means split pied...
This is true. There will be NO way for you tell male from female until after the babies have their first molt or you get a DNA test done. Cheek patch color has no meaning towards gender, but a slight ring around the cheek patch can indicate split WF. That being said, you honestly wouldn't know who had inherited the WF split unless they were bred to a visual WF. As for the being split pearl, there is no visual indication of this, but all boys would automatically be split, which means that if you used them for breeding, they'd have a 50% chance of producing pearl girls. Very pretty babies!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.