Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

Breeding issues

1K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  ninfatiel 
#1 ·
Hi! I have a pair of Lutino cockatiels that I got from a lady who was reducing some of her flock and she told me that she kept them indoors and let them have 1 clutch of babies. I have had them since october of 2016 and cannot understand why they haven't reproduced yet. I give them an abundance of food, greens, cuttle bone, mineral, etc. I placed the nest boxes a good ways above their perches. I try not to go into the aviary to much as I wanted to see if it was a privacy issue (they aren't tame). I have another pair of cockatiels that is utilizing the nest boxes just fine and reproducing. What am I doing wrong? Do they need more time??

#2 ·
Are you sure that they're really opposite sex birds? Their previous owner had a flock, so it's always possible that they're a couple of girls and one of them got together with a male long enough to lay some fertile eggs. It's totally possible for two females to raise a clutch peacefully together.

#4 ·
The original owner claimed they are male and female. When I went to see what conditions they were in she had them in a large parrot cage together with their nest box. She was an elderly woman. No other birds were with them. I believe she bred birds in individual cages. She had some in her living room.

Anyway maybe your right maybe they just need more time.This is my first Lutino pair is their any obvious things to look for when determining sex? I know one bird seems a little smaller in size than the other...

#5 ·
If she had them separated from the other birds then they're probably a true pair.

Lutinos have the same markings as the normal greys, but it's a lot harder to see because it's different shades of yellow rather than yellow on grey. If you hold the bird near a strong light (like a window) and look at the flight feathers and tail feathers, you'll see spots and barring on the hen and you won't see them on the cock.

#10 ·
Also, it is usually recommended NOT to breed lutinos together as it can result in issues like baldness :( also, if she got them from the same source there is an extremely high chance they are siblings, so it may actually be good if they decide not to breed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#11 ·
This pair has already had a clutch, and if you know anything about the quality of their previous babies it will give you an idea of what to expect if they have another clutch. Like to like breeding is discouraged, but it doesn't always end in disaster. If this pair had strong healthy non-bald babies in their last clutch, there's no reason not to let them breed again.

#12 ·
The position of the nest box may be of importance-the entrance should face the door (to the room ).If they are not tame,then they need to see ''the enemy"' right away at entrance.. Another thing that works well -is everyday shower- if its warm enough in your place. I sprikle my couples with sparay-bottle,that imitates spring showers in Australia,when there is abundance of soft/green food to raise chicks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.