Cockatiel Breeding

Mutations & Genetics

Cockatiel Articles

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Cockatiels Forums > Cockatiels > Cockatiel Talk > Cockatiel Housing and Toys

Notices

Cockatiel Housing and Toys All discussion of cages, cage setup, aviaries, toys, play gyms, etc. should go here.

Old 06-30-2014, 02:16 PM
Adult

Cockatiel Information
Number of Cockatiels: 1
Cockatiel Experience Level: Cockatiel Lover
Janalee is on a distinguished road
Default birdie carrier

When I have to take Bennie to the vet, I put him in a small "Kennel Cab." It's really designed for small mammals but it works well to transport him short distances. I put paper towels in the bottom so he doesn't slip on the plastic floor and cover the whole carrier with a towel while we are in the waiting room (if there are cats or dogs there).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2014, 02:33 PM
Hatching

Cockatiel Information
Number of Cockatiels: 3
TacoNblanco is on a distinguished road

So I know this isn't exactly a travel cage they could stay in and sleep BUT I'm investing in one here soon because they are just too cool. It's a mesh backpack that has a perch and bowls built into it. You can take your bird on a hike or to the pet store, etc.

Online I found them for $155. But I'm looking into a second hand one that maybe someone has never used. Or I'm looking into getting a hiking backpack and removing the solid pieces and replacing them with a bird safe mesh, or buying a mesh back pack and putting a frame in it with accessories.

This way my tiels and I can go on adventures
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (58.0 KB, 42 views)
Old 08-27-2014, 10:35 PM
Chick

Cockatiel Information
Eyezik is on a distinguished road

Flea markets are the best place to buy a cheap carrier cage.

Old 11-14-2014, 06:19 PM
Hatching

Cockatiel Information
None
maryellen is on a distinguished road

I have the same carrier that RowdyTeil has, i got mine on amazon for $13. Its perfect for winter time here to keep her safe from drafts if we need to go to the vet
Old 09-01-2015, 01:04 AM
Chick

Cockatiel Information
Cockatiel Experience Level: Cockatiel Owner
Schubird is on a distinguished road

I realize this sticky is a little old, but I haven't seen the carrier that I use for Schubert in the replies so far. It's a Suncast carrier and I got the 23" size for him:

http://www.amazon.com/Suncast-23-Inc...st+pet+carrier

The amazon page actually has some customer pictures near the reviews of a cockatiel in the cage. It's big enough for him to stretch his wings out in, and when I went to my parents' house four hours away for a weekend, I took him along in this. Granted, I had a playgym for him to be on most of the day, but the carrier is big enough that in a pinch they could stay a few days in there. Since the top is solid plastic, it made a great sleeper cage when I was at my parents since it darkened and "protected" him a bit from the strange room.

Because of the bars you can get branch perches or rope perches to fit nicely inside of them with newspaper or paper towel on the bottom to catch messes. The container on the top is perfect for keeping styptic powder for emergencies wherever he is and a baggie of food if we're travelling overnight or so.

The only problem is the holes in the door. They're about an inch at their widest. Schubert hasn't tried to go through them, but I've actually just placed a piece of fabric in the door before closing it so the holes aren't visible to him. I think someone in the reviews on amazon found a foraging toy that blocks the holes perfectly as well.
Old 10-17-2015, 04:06 AM
Chick

Cockatiel Information
None
crow is on a distinguished road

I can't find my carrier here either, so here it is. I's a Ferplast Aladino carrier. I put a blanket in the bottom so it's not slippery and there is still enough room for Elvis. This is only for short trips though.

http://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/pets/aladino-carrier
Old 12-30-2016, 10:13 AM
Hatching

Cockatiel Information
Lore is on a distinguished road

Great to have this topic on here! I myself am looking for a travel cage that would also work for Puck to stay in for a few days, for vacations or in case he ever gets injured. It has to be able to be taken apart at least partially to save space, so that narrows down my options quite a bit too.

I don't go visit my parents very often because I have school during the week and usually have work during the weekend (they live about 3 hours away by train). So when I do go visit them, I tend to stay over for the weekend and return home late on Sunday.
So far, Puck has stayed home and has been checked in on by flatmates, but knowing how much of a cuddlebug he is, and how much attention he normally gets from me during the day, I would rather just take him along. (I don't think either of my parents would mind as long as I'd clean up after him)

I was thinking of getting this cage:

The bar spacing is 15mm (about 9/16 inch) and the measurements of the entire thing are 51x45.5x48cm (20 5/64 x 17 29/32 x 18 57/64 inch). It folds up pretty much all into a flat package (like this) and has the upside of having a fairly large door (it's supposed to be a carrier for parrots). And since it's priced at 60 euros (about the same in USD at the moment) it seems like a very good price.

Does anyone have any advice for me?
Old 12-30-2016, 11:53 PM
Adult

Cockatiel Information
Number of Cockatiels: 5
Cockatiel Experience Level: Cockatiel Breeder
vampiric_conure is on a distinguished road

I use a 'Flying South' bird backpack. Only minor complaints about it - the windows don't snap close all the time and the zipper is prone to wear and tear, but otherwise, for once a month use, it's a keeper! I've used it for parrot club displays and travel to the local bird club and it's served me well.

Mindwipe - f, g, 15yrs
Redshift - m, g, 14 yrs
Firestorm -f - pearl WF - 2.5 yr
Sideswipe-M -grey-5 years
Strongarm-F-Pearl - 2yrs
August, M, WCPi, 13yrs
Slugfest, M, Budgie, 1 yr
Swoop, F, Budgie, 1yr

and the medical alert service dog, Aaerro (Whippet/Iggy cross), F, 9 yrs