Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

Bolting cage to homemade stand?

785 views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  danielle1973 
#1 ·
I am planning to have a wooden stand, with shelf, built for my current cage. It's a great cage, good quality, but currently sits on my desk, leaving less space for schoolwork/etc, so I'm going to have a custom stand built. However, I want the cage to be stable on the stand, so I'm considering having it bolted down. Can anyone give me a compelling reason NOT to do this?

#2 ·
Cleaning.. you will have to wash the whole cage down every now and then. This could be quite difficult with it bolted. What about making a lip/frame that comes up a couple of inches around the base of the cage so that the cage still sets in it safely but can easily be raised up for cleaning, etc.?

#3 ·
Well, what I'm thinking of doing is having the back and two sides enclosed by wood that come up about 2-3 inches, leaving the food cups accessible, and the front still accessible for removing/cleaning the tray and grate. This would also allow removal of the cage for a full cleaning as well. My main concern, and the reason the idea of bolting came up, is that I do live in California, very close to several major fault lines - I don't want the cage to topple in case of an earthquake, but maybe that's not as much of an issue as I thought it would be.

#4 ·
Hmm... well as far as earthquake issues go.. I can not comment on that. Perhaps someone else who lives in that area might have some suggestions on making your cage as sturdy as possible. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.