Cockatiel Breeding

Mutations & Genetics

Cockatiel Articles

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Cockatiels Forums > Cockatiels > Your Cockatiels Health > Food And Nutrition

Notices

Food And Nutrition Post any questions you may have about your cockatiels diet here. Also feel free to share any cockatiel recipes you may know of.

Old 04-04-2017, 01:17 PM
Egg

Cockatiel Information
Number of Cockatiels: 1
Cockatiel Experience Level: Cockatiel Lover
Dragona is on a distinguished road
Default Questions about hand-feeding and behaviours

Hello everybody, some 5 days ago I've bought a new cockatiel who is something like 3, 3 1/2 weeks old.

I've been instructed (very rapidly) how to feed it, and how many times a day. The question is: Is my cockatiel still hungry?

I know that they do the cute dinosaur-noise when they beg for food (even though mine is starting to chirp when she/he doesn't think we are around), but even after 5/7 ml of mixture for chicks she won't stop. I guess that's normal, is it? Or they should stop begging at some point? Because mine won't. Every time i peek my face in the cardboard where she lives (just for now) she starts begging. Am I doing something wrong? Should I feed her more? No? Just ignore it?

Second question is about the crop. I'm familiar with it, research and stuff, but how much food can there be in it before it gets "too much" or "unhealthy"? My cockatiel eats 3 times a day at 8am, 2pm and 8pm (just over 6h every feeding) 5-7ml of mixture every time, should i give it more? Less?

Bonus question: I do have a cage where my last cockatiel used to live (now in a better place), when can i transfer the chick in it? I really don't like seeing the poor thing in a shoes box. At night we can cover it, if necessary.

Thank you for your patience,

Peace and love
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2017, 07:22 PM
Adult

Cockatiel Information
Number of Cockatiels: 5
Cockatiel Experience Level: Cockatiel Breeder
vampiric_conure is on a distinguished road

It sounds like you've got a baby who is pretty typical. You = Food, which means crying as soon as they see you At 5-7ml, your baby should be okay as long as the baby is pink and feisty. A sick baby will turn red and stop wiggling. They also will cry which sounds less like a dinosaur and more like a human baby. It's a heart breaking sound.

You can put the baby in the new cage as soon as their feathers start coming in. At 3-3 1/2 weeks, that would be about now

I'm sure there'll be more information added to mine. Good luck to you!

Mindwipe - f, g, 15yrs
Redshift - m, g, 14 yrs
Firestorm -f - pearl WF - 2.5 yr
Sideswipe-M -grey-5 years
Strongarm-F-Pearl - 2yrs
August, M, WCPi, 13yrs
Slugfest, M, Budgie, 1 yr
Swoop, F, Budgie, 1yr

and the medical alert service dog, Aaerro (Whippet/Iggy cross), F, 9 yrs
Old 04-11-2017, 01:32 PM
Egg

Cockatiel Information

Thank you for your advice ^^ I put him in the new cage, and he's doing well (except for tripping in the holes on the floor, but he's getting the hang of it). Since when i wrote he got a nice gray plumage

Can i ask a couple questions about weaning and flight? My cockatiel started flying yesterday, by mistake (also went on a wall, but not fast nor strong, so he's good), and... what should i do? Letting him fly? I start training him to fly? Let him crash (i hope this is not an option lol)?

Also... how do i start weaning the poor thing? I started giving him an apple slice today (wich he happily ate) xD Still on formula though.

In case training is an option, what food can i give him? Apples i guess are ok, any other thing?
Or maybe no new foods before weaning off formula?

I'm at loss with cockatiels babies -

Old 04-11-2017, 08:51 PM
Super Tiel

Cockatiel Information
Number of Cockatiels: 14
tielfan is on a distinguished road

They pretty much learn by crashing into things, so you need to arrange for minimal risks. Cover up any large windows or mirrors, and anything else that might cause problems if he smacked into it. The farther they can fly in a straight line, the more speed they can build up, so have him do his flying in a small room so he can't go very far before he has to turn.

You wean them by giving them the opportunity to eat stuff, and let them teach themselves. Millet spray is a good weaning food for chicks because the seeds are attached to a stem and don't move around too much. Soft foods are good too, like cooked foods, seeds/grains that have been soaked or lightly sprouted, soft veggies, and leafy greens. A shallow bowl of water that he can play in will help him learn how to drink. Chicks do better with a foraging-style presentation, so spread the food out on a flat surface (like a table top or a plate), and clip the leafy greens to something to make it look sort of like a plant is growing there.

All my posts and all photos belonging to me are copyrighted by me. All rights reserved.

My website: http://www.littlefeatheredbuddies.com/
Old 04-12-2017, 01:06 AM
Adult

Cockatiel Information
Number of Cockatiels: 3
ParrotletsRock is on a distinguished road

One tip I was given when weaning a baby is to use a shallow dish for water and add a few bright beads in about 1/4 inch or less of water ( don't want them getting soaked or drowning in it) they try to play with and peck at the beads and learn what water is. And where it is, then when they go home to their new home if beads are put into their water they immediately know that's the water dish.
Old 04-12-2017, 09:56 AM
Egg

Cockatiel Information

Thank you again. I'll try to give him cooked vegetables, and other veggies.

Today I'm concerned for my tiel didn't empty his crop after the morning feed :\
His crop feels pretty... bloated (i don't know if it's food or air?). It's only been 7h since morning, but he doesn't seem as "energetic" as yesterday. It could be because he's with me in my room, and given cuddles, so no screaming,, but even yet he isn't begging for food. Not much.

He still tried to fly away (and managed to), and is currently playing with a rag.

Question is: should i be concerned?
Old 04-12-2017, 02:28 PM
Adult

Cockatiel Information
Number of Cockatiels: 3
ParrotletsRock is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragona View Post
Thank you again. I'll try to give him cooked vegetables, and other veggies.

Today I'm concerned for my tiel didn't empty his crop after the morning feed :\
His crop feels pretty... bloated (i don't know if it's food or air?). It's only been 7h since morning, but he doesn't seem as "energetic" as yesterday. It could be because he's with me in my room, and given cuddles, so no screaming,, but even yet he isn't begging for food. Not much.

He still tried to fly away (and managed to), and is currently playing with a rag.

Question is: should i be concerned?
Yes you should be concerned, sounds like he is getting slow crop which can quickly turn sour with bacteria and yeast, this can turn into a life threatening issue if not taken care of quickly. Personally I take my chicks to the vet if this happens, what is the temp of the brooder and how warm is the formula when you feed him? If he or the formula is too cool it can slow the crop down. Does the crop feel doughy? Or is it just soft and squashy like a water balloon?
Old 04-12-2017, 06:44 PM
Chick

Cockatiel Information
Number of Cockatiels: 6
Fran.bath89 is on a distinguished road

Are you sure where he is kept is warm enough? My chicks are in a brooder still at 4 weeks old with a warm end set at 28-30c and a cool end with air flow. And also is it humid enough for the chick? I heard that if where the chick is, is too cool they digest slower which then results in crop issues. Good luck
Canaries: 1 yellow, 1 brown/orange, 1 brown/yellow, 1 silver, 2 yellow dimorphic
Zebra finches: 1 white, 1 black cheeked, 1 normal, 1 fawn
Chinese painted quail: 1 normal
Diamond dove: 2 normal, 1 pied, 1 white