Cockatiel Breeding

Mutations & Genetics

Cockatiel Articles

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Cockatiels Forums > Cockatiels > Your Cockatiels Health > Food And Nutrition

Notices

Food And Nutrition Post any questions you may have about your cockatiels diet here. Also feel free to share any cockatiel recipes you may know of.

Closed Thread

Old 03-24-2017, 01:56 AM
Egg

Cockatiel Information
Number of Cockatiels: 1
Cockatiel Experience Level: Cockatiel Lover
goldypeach is on a distinguished road
Worried New cockatiel is a very picky eater

Hi, this is my first time posting here but I've lurked around here for a while when I was doing my initial research about cockatiels before finally getting one. I've had my male cockatiel for a little over a week. I decided to go down the re-home route as I've heard pet stores are not ideal and after a few months I found the perfect one.

He's 9 months old and was hand-tamed by the previous owner. He's very sweet most of the time but is a very picky eater. He refuses to eat anything I put him minus his bird food (with the exception of lettuce and celery on the rare occasion he'll take a few bites of them). The previous owners told us the brand of food they feed him, it's called extreme gourmet cockatiel food...quite frankly I've never heard of this brand while doing research but I bought it anyways since it's what he's used to eating. Although now I'm starting to feel worried it's not very good for him (especially with him not eating anything else) but considering how picky he is I'm not sure how to switch him over to a better brand (zupreem pellets hopefully or is there something better, I'm open to suggestions??). However, my other worry is him not eating any vegetables, fruits, etc I offer. I've tried multiple methods from hanging them in his cage to discreetly mixing them in his regular food cup, he's very smart and can somehow sense any change in his regular food. I've even tried spraying millet on the chopped veges/quinoa etc I offer but he won't come near them, he outsmarts me every time it's crazy lol. Today I tried to offer him cooked couscous but he took one good look and flew off his perch and onto the cage bars to avoid it ...he seems to dislike everything that isn't his regular bird food. Any advice on how to get him to eat the fresh food I offer because I'm starting to get worried, I really want him to have a healthy diet and not become sick/malnourished.

Thank you for any advice in advance.

Here's a few pictures of the cutie pie, I love him so much it's insane how quickly I got attached to him.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg C7P2DFiVwAAR9j6.jpg (75.4 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg C7P2Di2VAAAmLFz.jpg (78.6 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg C7A3qS3WsAELUzU.jpg (95.3 KB, 18 views)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2017, 10:31 AM
Hatching

Cockatiel Information
Cockatiel Experience Level: Cockatiel Owner
mlj722 is on a distinguished road

Oh boy, is this a similarly common problem with my little boy Enzo.

He's quite the picky eater when it comes to his fruits and vegetables, although he'll gladly eat the unhealthy foods such as Cheese-Its or Goldfish.

The way that I've tried with him is that I will take a bite of the food myself to show him that it's food and that it's okay to eat (since they're flock animals, this usually works for them, especially if you act like it's really good). I get him to try a bunch of different foods this way. One other thing that I've found that helps is that I break the food into a piece that is easily 'tiel sized, for example, he won't eat directly off a banana that is offered to him, but if I break off a smaller piece, he'll gladly eat it.

Also, keep in mind that like people, Cockatiels have likes and dislikes, and it's possible that he may just not like what is being offered to him. Typically, if a 'tiel tries a food once and doesn't like it or won't eat it any more, then that's a sign that the bird doesn't like it and won't eat it again.

And about the food he's eating currently, is it seed?
If so, it's important that you try and get him to switch to pellets as soon as you can because seed is way less healthy than seed is. There are multiple methods to get birds to switch over, and if you'd like, I can describe them to you.
Btw, my 'tiel does eat Zupreem.

Last edited by mlj722; 03-24-2017 at 12:02 PM..
Old 03-25-2017, 12:31 AM
Egg

Cockatiel Information

I've tried the eating in front of him method as well as chopping them finely but both haven't worked so far. He really seems to avoid or run away from anything he's not familiar with, today I tried to feed him some popcorn and he jumped off my leg to avoid it...quite the sass . This is what his bird food is: http://www.fmbrown.com/extreme-gourm...el-foodtm.html I believe it's mostly seeds, I definitely want to switch him over to pellets but seeing how picky he is I'm worried he'll give me a hard time. I'd love suggestions on how to go on about this.

Thank you!

Old 03-25-2017, 01:09 PM
Adult

Cockatiel Information
Janalee is on a distinguished road
Default picky eater

First of all, your bird is beautiful! Yes, it is easy to get attached to them quickly! I am always amazed at how much personality that tiny feathered body holds!
One "trick" you can use to get your 'tiel to try new foods is to cut off the little "buds" on broccoli and mix them with some of his food. The little balls of broccoli look kind of like seeds and he may be tempted to nibble at them. Another thing I've tried with Bennie (also a picky eater) is to shred carrot into fine strips and put it in a treat holder with little strands hanging out. You can also clip it into a clip-style clothespin. The dangling carrot shreds may entice him to trying a nibble or two.
Besides veggies, I also give Bennie "Nutriberries" which are more nutritious than just plain seed and Bennie does like them.
Old 03-27-2017, 09:11 PM
Egg

Cockatiel Information

Thank you, he really is a beauty . It's crazy how much personality they do have, his is starting to come out more and more each day. I'm definitely going to try the broccoli and carrot trick. I tried to hang small strips of carrots before but that didn't work, hopefully the treat holder will.

He made some progress these last two days though, ate some hanging spinach and bok choy...he seems to like green leafy type of vegetables hanging. I tried to do that with asparagus but had no luck today. I guess better than nothing, maybe the treat holder trick will work so I'll be going out soon to get that for him. Also, is it normal for their droppings to become a little watery after eating these leafy greens?

Thank you for all the help, really appreciate it.

Old 03-27-2017, 10:17 PM
Adult

Cockatiel Information
Number of Cockatiels: 5
Cockatiel Experience Level: Cockatiel Breeder
vampiric_conure is on a distinguished road

Hey hey! **waves a wing hi** As you've already received good advice, I'll skip my own and jump onto your question about watery poop. It is normal for tiels poop to become slightly more runny when they've had greens. Their poop also changes colour. For the life of me, I can't remember if it's more brown or green when they're on a seed based diet.

I also second Nutriberries. My guys LOVE them.

Mindwipe - f, g, 15yrs
Redshift - m, g, 14 yrs
Firestorm -f - pearl WF - 2.5 yr
Sideswipe-M -grey-5 years
Strongarm-F-Pearl - 2yrs
August, M, WCPi, 13yrs
Slugfest, M, Budgie, 1 yr
Swoop, F, Budgie, 1yr

and the medical alert service dog, Aaerro (Whippet/Iggy cross), F, 9 yrs
Old 03-28-2017, 01:06 PM
Egg

Cockatiel Information

Hey to you too! And oh that's good, I was slightly worried since his poop looked a little different than his normal one after eating his leafy greens...I'm always over worrying since I've never had a cockatiel before so everything is new to me.

I recently went to the pet store nearby and I didn't see any nutriberries but hopefully if I go a little further I'll find them to test out on my tiel. Thank you for the help!

Closed Thread