Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

Breeding

2K views 41 replies 4 participants last post by  roxy culver 
#1 ·
Hello im hoping you can help me with something I was told that I cannot breed cockatiel from the same mutation for example a lutino male and a lutino female, so I looked for another mutation and I found a pearl female if I breed the lutino male with the pearl female wich mutations will have the babies?

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

#2 ·
You can breed mutation to mutation, just don't breed family members. It's the most direct way to get more of a mutation. If you breed a pearl and a lutino and neither bird is split for the other birds' mutation, every baby will be normal grey. The males (I think?) will be spit to both mutations though, and they can then be bred to either lutinos or pearls, or a lutino pearl, and produce mutation offspring.

#3 ·
Breeding Lutino to Lutino can create weak feathering and bald spots. Breeding pearl to Pearl can create small body cavity and interfere with internal organs.

If you breed a Lutino male to a pearl female and neither is split to other mutations you will get

Female Lutinos
Males split to pearl
Males split to Lutino
Males split to both mutations
Normal grey of both genders.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#4 ·
One thing to be clear I live in Venezuela and here we got the lutino cockatiel that is the one that have red eyes and claws and we have the yellow cockatiel that have normal black eyes... The one I have both of them are yellow cockatiels its the same with them right?

#5 ·
Yellow with red eyes is Lutino, yellow with black eyes is clear pied; I'm having a hard time understanding which one you have?

#7 ·
As far as I know, there is no danger in breeding pied to pied, but I could be wrong.

#9 ·
I would suggest waiting for more answers here. I can look into it but I'm
Not able to at this moment.

#11 ·
It is also called "dark eyed clear" basically it's just a pied that is SO HEAVILY MARKED that it has no dark spots.

#12 ·
Pictures would help us determine the mutations of your birds. Lutinos can have other eye colors based on what they are split to. http://www.justcockatiels.net/lutino.html Susanne has more info on her website.

To be honest, I would not breed to of the same mutations to each other. There is no need for this and all it does is create weaker babies. The goal of breeding should be to create stronger babies. Also, if you breed a male lutino to any other mutation, ALL girls will be lutino, as they only get one gene from dad and that's the lutino gene and in hens they only require the one gene to be visual. I'd definitely go with the lutino to pearl combo. Save the other bird to breed to one of their babies in two years.

#15 ·
http://talkcockatiels.com/showthread.php?t=28818 This is a better diagram taken from Susanne explaining lutino eye color. While I know clear pied is a thing, it's a lot rarer and we've never actually had anyone that I know of have one. That's why I asked for pictures, because it can be mistaken for one or the other.

In addition, no, visual sex linked fathers DO NOT always produce daughters which are visually the same mutation. I have absolute proof of this in my own flock where a cinnamon male has produced DNA sexed non-cinnamon daughters. I have observed this in the flocks of my friends as well. Based on research I also believed that the sex linked mutations were passed down 100% to the daughters, until I got a non-cinnamon daughter from a cinnamon father and had to refund the fee for a bird I had guaranteed as male based on this idea. I'm not sure WHY it's possible, but it is.
http://talkcockatiels.com/showthread.php?t=26845 Your hen may have cheated on your male. It's actually quite common in tiels as they are not monogomas. Seeing as you are the first person I've ever met to say that a sex-linked mutation male doesn't produce a visual daughter, I'm going to continue to go with the experts. In my own flock when I was breeding, I ALWAYS got a visual hen from a sex-linked mutation father. ALWAYS. My male cinnamon gave me cinnamon hens and normal boys. My pearl male gave me pearl girls. It's all about how the genes are inherited. Now, if a male is split to the mutation, he can end up with normal girls and this is where cheating comes in. The link I posted is to a very long and thought out post done by tielfan, who has also done exhaustive studies in breeding her own flock. I believe she even goes into crossovers, which is EVEN more complicated (I still struggle to understand the crossover part, even though I did have it happen in my own flock.)

I still would NOT breed pied to pied. Regardless of how strong or big the birds are. This is a personal preference as I have had bad luck breeding like to like before thinking "O mom is a big, healthy girl, these babies will be fine." The absolute BEST idea is breeding a like to a split. And if the split is pied (i.e. breeding a lutino to a pied split lutino) that's even better because the pied will make the crest on the lutino stronger. In this case, I would still breed the clear pied to the pearl, because the pied will increase the strength of the pearl's crest, which is very desirable. Pearl isn't as bad as lutino in terms of bald spots but it does happen and it is a problem in the pearl mutation that breeders are trying to correct.

#16 ·
That is a VERY helpful diagram; thank you.

#17 ·
As for the hen cheating, it isn't possible in my flock since they were paired separately and never mixed. The only other option (which is entirely possible) is a mistake in mutation identification of the father. Unfortunately I no longer have him or any of his offspring. Upon finding his non-cinnamon offspring to be female, I called my friend who is actually a personal friend of Susanne and has been breeding for 30 years, and she told me that they do not always inherit and I shouldn't be shocked. However I'm very aware that although I study hard and really DO care to be sure my info is correct, two things are true; 1) I have only been doing this a few years, and 2) my mentors and other sources of info can be wrong.

#19 ·
Tables like that only have to do with what color you will get, not which pairings will produce strong and healthy offspring.

#20 ·
Yea that's not actually saying it's OK, it's just saying what offspring you'll get.

Honestly, because clear pied is super rare, a friend mentioned last night when I was telling her about this that there is a huge possibility that your two birds are related. That's just how rare that mutation is. Because of that possibility alone, I wouldn't breed the two together. I would definitely breed to the pearl instead. Do you know for sure if you have a male/female pair?

1) I have only been doing this a few years, and 2) my mentors and other sources of info can be wrong.
I hear ya! It's a learning experience, and we are learning new things every day. Considering how new a lot of these mutations are, you never know what will crop up next!

#23 ·
Yea that's not actually saying it's OK, it's just saying what offspring you'll get.

Honestly, because clear pied is super rare, a friend mentioned last night when I was telling her about this that there is a huge possibility that your two birds are related. That's just how rare that mutation is. Because of that possibility alone, I wouldn't breed the two together. I would definitely breed to the pearl instead. Do you know for sure if you have a male/female pair?

I hear ya! It's a learning experience, and we are learning new things every day. Considering how new a lot of these mutations are, you never know what will crop up next!
Well actually I was suspecting that my cockatiels where related but I made a choice I will just buy 2 new cockatiels and so both of my clear pied will have a diferent Mate

#21 ·
That is actually an excellent point which I forgot all about this time! I have only ever come across one clear pied but I know several breeders who have been trying for years to achieve it.

#22 ·
That is actually an excellent point which I forgot all about this time! I have only ever come across one clear pied but I know several breeders who have been trying for years to achieve it.
Same here!! I think I've only ever seen one, so my worry would be that the two were related, especially if in the same area. And breeding siblings can mean no babies survive the nest at all.

#24 ·
That sounds like the wisest plan. We would still love to see pictures though :)

#28 ·
Its verry funny tho I always suspected that they where related, the way the act with each other, and the male has just whistle like a couple.of times in months, and every time I whistle the male enters in some kind of mating mode its verry funny but she dont want anything to do with him im that way.

#30 ·
They are gorgeous!! I'm just not good enough at identifying the difference between a lutino and a clear pied. And they've never laid eggs or anything?

I'd breed Apollo first. That way you can for sure determine mutation. If he's a lutino, he will have lutino daughters. If he's a clear pied, he will have daughters of other mutations. Any idea what other mutations you want to breed them with?

#32 ·
Split to pied is pretty easy to fine, most birds these days are split to pied. I would say for your male, find a nice big pearl hen, maybe a whiteface, split to pied and breed them. This will give you babies with more splits (i.e. the pearl split) which you can use for later breeding. I'm impartial to pearls, they're my favorite, so that's usually my go to for breeding.

I would avoid cinnamon. If the birds do end up being lutino, cinnamon and lutino don't react well together and is not something I generally have seen recommended to breed together.

#33 ·
I was also going to suggest a white face pearl hen, as that is my favorite mutation. However really any mutation is fine, depending on what you want to produce. I'm a big fan of huge feathery crests and breed for that and temperament in my small flock. Because the birds o raise become pets rather than aviary birds, I would rather have a sweet and smart normal gray than a rude or standoffish bird of a more striking color. In fact I think I might have TRUE GRAYS in my nest right now, which is actually something of a feat, believe it or not :)

#34 ·
In fact I think I might have TRUE GRAYS in my nest right now, which is actually something of a feat, believe it or not
You mean the most rare mutation ever because literally everything is split to something these days! That's awesome!!

Haha wf cinnamon pearl is my absolute favorite mutation. My cinnamon was one and she was my cuddle bug baby. Good breeder too, that bird wanted to be a mama lol. Big crests are a BIG aim...for that I'd definitely want a bird split to pied and there are TONS of ways to tell if a bird is split to pied or not.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.