Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

Am I over feeding her?

2K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  tasheanne 
#1 ·
So buttercup seems to be gaining weight, fast. Is it possible I'm over feeding her by just giving her too much seed and pellets? When I went to the vet with her (she was 91g that day) she said buttercup was a healthy weight but leaning more to chubby than skinny. Shes never stopped eating since then. Here's the weight chart I have for her.

- At 3 months old - 89g.
- 4 months old (15 days ago) - 92g.
- Then for the next four days she was 89 to 92 depending on the day (saw the vet mentioned in this space of time)
- The next day she weighed in at 90 in the morning, 94 in at lunch and 96 at dinner.
- Today she's started her day at 93g.

I only really got concerned when I was 96g, since 91g made the vet think she was already ever so slightly chubby. Am I over feeding? My other bird has the opposite problem, losing weight! But I think that's to do with being separated from her best mate a few days ago who she grew up with.

#3 ·
That sounds like a normal weight for a young cockatiel. All cockatiels are different shapes and sizes though, just like humans, so the number of grams alone isn't an ideal way to determine if they are at a healthy weight or not. The real test to prove if they're overweight or not is actually the keel bone test (the bone in the centre of their breast muscles). You'll need to restrain your bird to do this test properly. If the keel bone is protruding and sharp to the touch, the bird is underweight. If you can't feel the keel bone, then they're overweight. Somewhere in between where you can feel the bone slightly but it's not sharp or hidden under the breast muscle means the cockatiel is at a healthy weight.

#4 ·
The keel bone feels normal I'm more just worried about how much her weight is fluctuating. It doesn't stay steady. And with my other ones she's been losing weight, she was 83g (a good weight for her) 4 days ago but since then her weight has been down to 79g and I only just got it back to barely 80g. That's all in 4 days. Is it normalfor tiels weights to be so up and down?

#5 ·
Yes, that's normal. A couple of grams give or take is typical, depending on how full the crop is.

It's also completely normal for your 'tiel that has lost her mate to be a bit depressed and not hungry. She should perk up soon, it's good that she has Buttercup for company (and you of course). :)

#7 ·
To get the most ACCURATE weight, you need to weight her first thing in the morning when she wakes up before she eats. That will give her real weight, without any food in her crop. Weighing her throughout the day is pointless because she's going to eat which will cause her to "gain" weight. How much food are you feeding her daily?

As for the one losing weight, yes that can happen too. Tiels can become depressed, especially after the loss of a partner. Give her lots of millet and other yummy foods that she will enjoy eating, even sunflower seeds. Anything to help her get the weight back up.

#8 ·
I weigh them throughout the day to get an idea of how much they are eating. I know buttercup eats a LOT more than Darla this way. Buttercup will eat 4g of food in a few hours whilst Darla will only eat 1g. If I only weighed them once I'd just be going off of the morning weight which doesn't give me anywhere near as much detail about how much they're actually consuming. So I wouldn't say it's pointless since I want to know exactly how much Darla is eating since she loss her boyfriend. Watching her weight drop is concerning so I like to know she's at least eating something and how much of it.

I'm not sure how much food I give them a day. They get the same amount each, buttercup eats all of hers and Darla leaves some over which I assume is normal since she weighs so much less and is probably smaller built. I've read on here, from threads other people have started about how much to fees, that you're supposed to just give them a reasonable amount and let them eat what they want/need. If their dishes are empty I refill, maybe a few teaspoons at a time. I'm home all day and keep an eye on it. Is there a specific amount I'm suppose to feed them a day?

Darla is picking up slowly. She didn't seem depressed just a bit confused that he was gone! She went through a lot of changes in 24 hrs. her cage moved, she lost Alfie, she met Buttercup. But she's going better today :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.