Twigs sudden passing. Blood draw death. This is important. - Talk Cockatiels Forums

User Menu
Forum Home
Cockatiel Gallery
Members List
Today's Posts
Register now!
Search

Advanced Search
Forums
Sticky Library

Cockatiel Talk

Cockatiel Housing/Toys

Cockatiel Pictures

Cockatiel Videos

Cockatiel Health

Food & Nutrition

Training & Bonding

Cockatiel Breeding

Mutations & Genetics

Cockatiel Articles

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Cockatiels Forums > Cockatiels > Rainbow Bridge

Notices

Rainbow Bridge Remember the cockatiels who have passed to the rainbow bridge here.

Old 06-14-2017, 10:27 AM
Egg

Cockatiel Information
None
furbabytwiggy is on a distinguished road
Default Twigs sudden passing. Blood draw death. This is important.

My three year old cockatiel baby twiggy passed suddenly Saturday morning getting his blood drawn at the vet.
It started when we first got him. Twiggy was always prone to getting infections, he was constantly at the vet, I always worried about him day and night, I revolved my life around him and nursing him back to health every few weeks. He pulled through each time. I spent years crying to my husband about how "the vet said he had an infection but I think something is seriously wrong". I kept being adamant with the vets about how I think he had an underlying illness, but nobody believed me and would send me home with clavamox, or baytril or probiotics.
Twiggy constantly had runny stool, not enough to warrent direct concern, but enough to know something was off. He would fluctuate his weight pretty weekly, 5 grams up, 5 grams down. He just looked off most the time....until a few months ago, things got bad, he had blood in his stool, not a lot, a speck here or there, and I rushed him to the emergency vet down the road where they x rayed him, found nothing, and sent me home with antibiotics. But I wasn't convinced, I knew my baby, I spent all day with him most the time, he was my child, I knew something deeper was happening.
That's when I found Dr. Susan Orasz at the Toledo avian vet. She's one of the best in the country. So we started driving twiggy an hour there weekly to get check ups.
First we found an infection, in his sinuses and his cloaca, so we treated that, she wanted to take blood but because he was so ill she made us wait. A few weeks later, after he finished his meds, he still had lost 6 grams, was hardly eating, had bright green stools, and was screaming excessively and itching himself like mad. So we gave him a dose of Lupron hoping the screaming was hormonal, and gave it another week, to see if he would improve.his appetite didn't get better, a few days before Saturday, He didn't eat at all, on Friday I convinced him of little bites here and there, but I could tell he wasn't improving.

Fast forward to Saturday. This was his day to finally go get his blood taken, Dr. O was concerned about kidneys or diseases,
So this draw was mandatory. I was sort of concerned about getting his blood drawn, because a month prior she had tried, and he squirmed so much she didn't get enough blood, and I was worried about puncturing a vein. But my gut told me we needed this test, since he's never been tested and last time he was fine, so he will be ok this time.

I handed him over to the Dr. and she started the draw, she got the blood, went to put him in the cage, and I saw his face, he looked ill, fading, she started screaming "he's dying on us" and I ran over to him and watched his eyes shut, and he was gone. I held him and my husband held him and we sobbed for over an hour kissing him and screaming at god and trying to figure out what happened. How a routine blood test killed our child. Dr. O is internationally recognized, she's pulled blood on thousands of birds and when she came back into the room, she held me and told me "the only other time this has happened was on my own bird, she bled out during a draw, because her liver was failing".
And that's when it hit me, for years I told my husband "something's wrong with his kidneys or liver", but he was on the best diet, lafebars, Harrison's, carrots, fresh water, and he was so young, that nobody believed his liver could be failing.

So we told Dr. O to look inside our baby to see what had killed him. I've spent days thinking I did it, thinking I shouldn't have signed for the blood test, thinking I should have known better. The night before we went, twigs wouldn't sleep, so I put on his favorite cold play songs, "fix you" is one, and I cried listening to the words trying to get him to settle down, and he just wanted out to play, but I knew he needed sleep. I've spent days reliving the moment when she said he was dying and I saw his face, and I collapsed to the ground with him in my hands.
The Dr. called on Monday, said she looked inside twiggy, my 3 year old little pearly baby, and said she found something so bizarre. Twigs had a large vessel, a vessel almost three times larger then his aorta that was feeding into his liver and kidneys. His blood was pumping so heavy and fast through his liver, it couldn't process any toxins or nutrition, his liver had been failing since day one. And in the last month between his first blood draw, and last. His liver just gave up, his clotting factors stopped working, and hence when she drew his blood, he couldn't clot and bled to death. The more awful thing, she explained had he not passed on Saturday, we would have come home this week to him dead, because it was happening and fast, and she explained he would have bled out everywhere.

I'm at the point now, where I'm having a hard time believing he had this illness his whole life, even though I spent three years proclaiming he did. And I know the Dr is telling the truth, she has no reason to lie to save my feelings. And I know she didn't accidentally killed my bird. But to hear that my baby, my life, had this genetic incurable problem that would have taken his life soon had he not died during the draw, just kills me.
I just want everyone to know, if you think something is wrong, go with your gut, you know your babies and know how to protect them. Seek out the best avian vet around. If your near Ohio, please go see Dr. Susan Orasz. She was so concerned and dedicated over the last few months to twiggys life, and even after she passed she continued to be vigilant. I suppose I'm looking for support, maybe a similar story, maybe someone to tell me there was nothing I could do. I've been crying for days, I keep hearing him singing. I just want to see the light again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3565_1497450327596.jpg (87.7 KB, 24 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2017, 10:40 AM
Adult

Cockatiel Information
Number of Cockatiels: 3
ParrotletsRock is on a distinguished road

I'm so sorry you had to go thru all that, you gave your baby the best of everything, his life was short but well lived... RIP Twiggy.
Old 06-14-2017, 01:41 PM
Super Tiel

Cockatiel Information
Cockatiel Experience Level: Cockatiel Lover
Haimovfids is on a distinguished road

Wow. This was a sad read. I'm really sorry you had to go through that. I'm sending my love to you guys. You sound like a person who really cares for her loved ones. Rest In Peace, Twiggy.

Old 06-14-2017, 02:03 PM
Egg

Cockatiel Information
None

We're also in the middle of moving, a day before twigs passed I finished painting his new room, and buying new furniture for it. We were waiting till the house aired out before we moved him in. So now we have this empty room, that's all set up for him...it's heartbreaking to walk past.
Old 06-14-2017, 08:47 PM
Moulting

Cockatiel Information
Number of Cockatiels: 3
tielbob is on a distinguished road

I'm so sorry about your sad experience with Twiggy. He was with the right caretakers in his short life and I'm sure he knew it. No one could have loved him more than you.

...forever in my heart, my beloved Buzzy girl, Puff girl and Baby Boy...
Old 06-15-2017, 01:25 PM
Adult

Cockatiel Information
Number of Cockatiels: 1
Janalee is on a distinguished road
Default blood draw death

I am so sorry for your loss of Twiggy. You went through so much with him. It does sound as if that was something very unusual. I am sorry he had to suffer so much. Fly free, Twiggy!
Old 06-15-2017, 03:28 PM
Hatching

Cockatiel Information
Calisi is on a distinguished road

I am so very sorry for your loss, and all you and Twiggy went through. May God bless you, and keep you strong. No doubt, Twiggy is in heaven, happy and healthy now. {{{ hugsss }}}
Old 06-16-2017, 07:43 PM
Adult

Cockatiel Information
Cockatiel Experience Level: Cockatiel Enthusiast
littletiel is on a distinguished road

I am so sorry... You have been a wonderful mother to Twiggy, and I am sure he felt the love. Fly free, baby!
Old 06-17-2017, 01:42 AM
Adult

Cockatiel Information
Number of Cockatiels: 5
Cockatiel Experience Level: Cockatiel Breeder
vampiric_conure is on a distinguished road

The heartbreak...ouchies. It must be excruciating **Huge hugs** You did your best.

Mindwipe - f, g, 15yrs
Redshift - m, g, 14 yrs
Firestorm -f - pearl WF - 2.5 yr
Sideswipe-M -grey-5 years
Strongarm-F-Pearl - 2yrs
August, M, WCPi, 13yrs
Slugfest, M, Budgie, 1 yr
Swoop, F, Budgie, 1yr

and the medical alert service dog, Aaerro (Whippet/Iggy cross), F, 9 yrs
Old 06-17-2017, 03:29 PM
Egg

Cockatiel Information
None

Thank you everyone really. The days don't seem as long anymore,but the pain is still here. I have a lot of questions, and went to call my vet yesterday to ask for the necropsy report, and I was told dr o fell and broke her hip and won't be back for the foreseeable future, and the vet tech told me they may not have a report of the necropsy? Which seems almost immoral/ illegal to not document his cause of death, and or, not allow me to have it?