Cockatiel Breeding

Mutations & Genetics

Cockatiel Articles

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Cockatiels Forums > Cockatiels > Cockatiel Talk > Cockatiel Housing and Toys

Notices

Cockatiel Housing and Toys All discussion of cages, cage setup, aviaries, toys, play gyms, etc. should go here.

Closed Thread

Old 06-17-2016, 11:20 AM
Hatching

Cockatiel Information
Number of Cockatiels: 1
Cockatiel Experience Level: Cockatiel Owner
Foobzy is on a distinguished road
Default What's your tiel's fav toys?

Hello, my fellow tielers :-)

So I can't decide what toys to get my tiel.

What's your cockatiel's favourite toys?
Both inside and outside their cage?

I saw a video someone posted on here recently and they had really cool spiral ropes, bridges and large tree branches which their tiel loved exploring and perching outside the cage. If anyone knows where I can get them and how I can attach them to the wall that'll be great!

I have a sculpture I've made out of dead tree branches on the wall but I haven't a clue what tree they come from. If I varnish the branches would it be safe for my tiel to perch on, or what else can I use?

We suspect Kiki will be female. What toys do males prefer and what toys do females prefer?

I want to make an awesome play den for my tiel :-)

Any links you can provide will be really helpful!

One more question, sorry guys.
Do you think this is a suitable cage for my cockatiel? http://www.cagesworld.co.uk/p/Rainfo..._Bird_Cage.htm

Thanks for all your help, you guys are
the best!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2016, 12:20 PM
Super Moderator

Cockatiel Information
Cockatiel Experience Level: Cockatiel Lover
CaliTiels is on a distinguished road

Jaid likes anything he can dismantle. Balsa wood is his favorite.

Personally, I wouldn't use the branches if you're unsure of where they came from. Better to be safe than sorry.

Cocks and hens don't play any different. Each bird is different. Sex doesn't matter.

And for a tiel, that cage is pretty small. Adding toys and perches plus the bird doesn't make that one a good pick. Also, that door is very tiny. Might be difficult to manage. I would definitely recommend something bigger
Old 06-17-2016, 04:30 PM
Fledging

Cockatiel Information
Number of Cockatiels: 14
Cockatiel Experience Level: Cockatiel Enthusiast
devilangel09 is on a distinguished road

To be honest I find they pay more attention to home made toys than store bought. Just buy some string, beads, cardboard, paper,wood and bell balls etc and get creative

Old 06-17-2016, 04:57 PM
Adult

Cockatiel Information
Cockatiel Experience Level: Cockatiel Enthusiast
littletiel is on a distinguished road

I think it's me.
Old 06-18-2016, 02:51 AM
Fledging

Cockatiel Information
Number of Cockatiels: 2
Cockatiel Experience Level: Cockatiel Lover
Jaguar is on a distinguished road

That cage is way too small. Cockatiels are bigger than they look - that cage would leave them very little room to turn around or spread their wings. I recommend at least 24x22 inches (61x56 cm) for a single bird.

As far as toys go, balsa gets destroyed first, always. They would be plenty happy with chunks of balsa on a string.

Palm - they really like the zigzag woven palm and palm finger traps.

Cord/stringing materials - tri string paper cord, seagrass cord, safe leather... tied in knots, wrapped around branches, etc.

I buy most of my toys from the Canadian vendor Things for Wings as I'm Canadian. They have some really amazing toys. This is a haul I got back in May -

You can see they are mostly natural, crunchable materials. Tons of balsa, vine, palm, yucca, natural cord, raffia, all sorts of fun stuff

Bark - I give them natural branches salvaged from around mine and my neighbor's yard. They have maple, lilac, and basswood (linden) branches which they love to peel and shred the bark and leaves off.

The main branch is basswood. It's hung by two very large toggle bolts into the drywall and nickel plated chandelier chain. I attached it to the branch by bolts and hooks, and double secured it with stainless steel airline cable. The fresh branches laid around are lilac They had a blast chewing them down!

They also have a boing and orbit from Oliver's Garden (another Canadian vendor) which they LOVE.
Old 06-22-2016, 07:56 AM
Hatching

Cockatiel Information
Foobzy is on a distinguished road
Default Replies! :)

Thank you so much for your opinions everyone! This has definitely given me a greater insight as to what toys cockatiels favour because there are sooo many to choose from in pet shops!

Calitiels, thank you for your advice. You're so right! I'm not using those branches and I've got a much bigger cage now.

Devilangel09, Aaah that's really handy to know, thank you. It also sounds fun to make your own toys for cockatiels I'll post photos when Kiki comes to destroy them lol.

Littletiel, that's pretty funny haha... And sweet also!

Jaguar, Thank you so much for your in-depth advice. It's helped me out loads! Thanks to your cage specification guide I now have a suitable and roomy cage for my cockatiel I'm sure Kiki will love it! Also wow, your cockatiels are so lucky to have an owner like you, their toys look awesome! Thanks for the photos, I hope you don't mind but I'm going to borrow your idea of having a large, safe branch outside the cage and the cool boing, your tiels seem to love it!
Old 06-22-2016, 08:20 AM
Chick

Cockatiel Information
arnabsri is on a distinguished road

Cutie likes the rings..he would climb on them also to chew on neem tree branches