How to keep Honey happy in a small and old cage? - Page 3 - Talk Cockatiels Forums

User Menu
Forum Home
Cockatiel Gallery
Members List
Today's Posts
Register now!
Search

Advanced Search
Forums
Sticky Library

Cockatiel Talk

Cockatiel Housing/Toys

Cockatiel Pictures

Cockatiel Videos

Cockatiel Health

Food & Nutrition

Training & Bonding

Cockatiel Breeding

Mutations & Genetics

Cockatiel Articles

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Cockatiels Forums > Cockatiels > Cockatiel Talk > Cockatiel Housing and Toys

Notices

Cockatiel Housing and Toys All discussion of cages, cage setup, aviaries, toys, play gyms, etc. should go here.

Closed Thread

Old 10-18-2016, 08:42 AM
Youngster

Cockatiel Information
Number of Cockatiels: 1
Cockatiel Experience Level: Cockatiel Lover
Nimra is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxy culver View Post
http://talkcockatiels.com/showthread.php?t=242 this sticky has lots of ideas for toys. Birds like to chew on things, so anything chewable (cardboard for instance) is a good idea. I also like to use lettuce or kale to hang in the cage as a toy and a food, the birds always got a kick out of that.
Thanks, I am making some of these toys right now. I hope they get ready soon!
Also, is this just me, or is everyone being really unhelpful right now? Look, I don't want to be rude or anything, but I can't buy Honey a new cage. If I would have found Honey a better home, I would have given her away, but people in my city treat birds like prisoners. Honestly, the first time I saw the pictures of cages on this website, I couldn't believe the way birds were being treated, like real family members. I hadn't even known that bird toys exist. Being nice to birds just doesn't exist where I live, so even my parents were a bit against getting Honey a big cage and tons of toys, since they had obviously never heard of it before. But they were nice enough to do it for me (and Honey). They just don't want to buy all that stuff over again. This cage might be small, but I am doing everything I can to make it a nice place for Honey, so there is no need to tell me over and over again how tiny the cage is. You are not helping me or anything by doing that. I know you people are concerned for Honey, but I am just as concerned, and believe me, I wouldn't have kept Honey is this cage if I didn't think it was fine for her. Also, I told you that Honey hates big cages and open spaces. they scare her a lot, so that is another reason why am I not buying a new cage. I know you guys know a lot about birds, but I do too. I was just asking for your opinion, not for a lecture on tiny cages.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2016, 11:43 AM
Adult

Cockatiel Information
Number of Cockatiels: 3
ParrotletsRock is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimra View Post
Thanks, I am making some of these toys right now. I hope they get ready soon!
Also, is this just me, or is everyone being really unhelpful right now? Look, I don't want to be rude or anything, but I can't buy Honey a new cage. If I would have found Honey a better home, I would have given her away, but people in my city treat birds like prisoners. Honestly, the first time I saw the pictures of cages on this website, I couldn't believe the way birds were being treated, like real family members. I hadn't even known that bird toys exist. Being nice to birds just doesn't exist where I live, so even my parents were a bit against getting Honey a big cage and tons of toys, since they had obviously never heard of it before. But they were nice enough to do it for me (and Honey). They just don't want to buy all that stuff over again. This cage might be small, but I am doing everything I can to make it a nice place for Honey, so there is no need to tell me over and over again how tiny the cage is. You are not helping me or anything by doing that. I know you people are concerned for Honey, but I am just as concerned, and believe me, I wouldn't have kept Honey is this cage if I didn't think it was fine for her. Also, I told you that Honey hates big cages and open spaces. they scare her a lot, so that is another reason why am I not buying a new cage. I know you guys know a lot about birds, but I do too. I was just asking for your opinion, not for a lecture on tiny cages.
No one was lecturing you, you asked how to make her happy.... we were giving our opinions on how to make her happy, we all have the best interests of Honey in mind. Many times a bird is overwhelmed by a bigger cage when all they have ever known is a small one. But once they realize that is a safe place then they love it. Once you ask a question you are opening yourself up for a lot of answers and some you won't like... the way birds are kept in your country sounds horrible... you can help change that.. you can educate people there and show they how a bird kept properly and treated like family can actually become family.. maybe in years to come people will start to treat their birds better because of the example you have shown.. you just never know....
Old 10-18-2016, 02:13 PM
Chick

Cockatiel Information
Number of Cockatiels: 5
Cockatiel Experience Level: Cockatiel Owner
SilverSage is on a distinguished road

You asked us how to keep her happy in that cage and some people did suggest a new cage, others mentioned the need to remove the pots, better perches, toys, lots of time out of the cage, etc. is this not exactly what you asked for? Ways to improve her life in that cage?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Green Cheeked Conures: Flick, Cache, Titan
Indian Ringeck Parakeets: Blue, Kamehameha, Ka'iulani, Kahili, Shadow, Ali'i, Noni, Pono, Smokey, Hapu'u
Budgie: Napoleon

Old 10-18-2016, 02:37 PM
Super Moderator

Cockatiel Information
CaliTiels is on a distinguished road

Keep in mind that people live all around the world, and may not have access to some things that others do. Nimra is trying to work with what she's got.

Now, I do agree, I would remove the pots. They take up too much room. Maybe add some new perches. If she's scared of some, maybe see if you can find a safe tree and take some clippings for perches? They have much more grip so she would feel more secure
Old 10-18-2016, 09:24 PM
Administrator

Cockatiel Information
Number of Cockatiels: 4
Cockatiel Experience Level: Cockatiel Enthusiast
roxy culver is on a distinguished road

The key is to introduce things slowly, not just shove them in the cage and hope she likes them. You have to start out with them outside the cage, where she can see them. Once she is used to them at a distance, you can move them closer to her, watching for her reaction. This may take a couple hours or several days, it's all about patience. The same thing goes for bigger cages. You don't just toss her in one and expect her to like it. Introducing it slowly over time will help her adjust to it.

When you ask a question about making your bird happy, you are going to get loads of opinions. The internet is full of people with opinions. We all want what's best for Honey, as we are bird lovers. You said your cage was broken and even asked about finding a new, inexpensive cage for her at the beginning of your thread, so several members shared where they had gotten their cages from at a good price. You didn't actually give a budget on what you were willing to spend, so none of us were sure what you were looking for. Then you turned around and stated that you didn't feel Honey needed a new cage, even though you yourself had asked for ideas.

The absolute minimum cage size recommended for a tiel is 18x18x18. This allows them to fully stretch out their wings. That's why everyone was recommending new cages. Now that you have stated you are not interested in that, we can move on from there to help you improve what you have, which the best place to start is new perches and ditching the pots as they do take up too much room. I can't wait to see what new toys you have made for her!!
Jeep-normal gray cock
Pebbles-whiteface pearl pied hen
Pankakes-PF cinnamon pearl pied cock

Old 10-19-2016, 08:55 AM
Youngster

Cockatiel Information

OK, fine. I don't want to start fighting now. I apologize if I was rude. I just felt that you people were not being friendly or supporting, which is why I snapped at you guys. I will remove the pots after I have made the other perches. Maybe Honey will like them. I will share the pictures of my toys with you guys. Can any one of you tell me how to make a perch? I don't mind what kind, just one that is easy to make and is a favorite with cockatiels?
Old 10-19-2016, 08:57 AM
Youngster

Cockatiel Information

[QUOTE=roxy culver;1323818]The key is to introduce things slowly, not just shove them in the cage and hope she likes them. You have to start out with them outside the cage, where she can see them. Once she is used to them at a distance, you can move them closer to her, watching for her reaction. This may take a couple hours or several days, it's all about patience. The same thing goes for bigger cages. You don't just toss her in one and expect her to like it. Introducing it slowly over time will help her adjust to it.

Honey is not a very tame bird. She hardly ever gets out of her cage ever since Cookie left, and whenever she does, she panics and starts flying all around, even if she is alone. She has already broken a nail twice.
Old 10-19-2016, 12:51 PM
Administrator

Cockatiel Information
Number of Cockatiels: 4
Cockatiel Experience Level: Cockatiel Enthusiast
roxy culver is on a distinguished road

You might be better off clipping her so she can't harm herself. That way she can come out of the cage and not fly into things. It would definitely be safer for her.

I've never personally made a perch. It would need to be of bird safe wood and need to be cleaned before you put it in the cage.
Jeep-normal gray cock
Pebbles-whiteface pearl pied hen
Pankakes-PF cinnamon pearl pied cock

Old 10-19-2016, 01:58 PM
Youngster

Cockatiel Information

Alright then. Thanks for the info.
Old 10-19-2016, 02:07 PM
Adult

Cockatiel Information
Number of Cockatiels: 3
ParrotletsRock is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxy culver View Post
You might be better off clipping her so she can't harm herself. That way she can come out of the cage and not fly into things. It would definitely be safer for her.

I've never personally made a perch. It would need to be of bird safe wood and need to be cleaned before you put it in the cage.
I would be worried adout parasites and diseases as well as pollution that may be on the wood, in heavily populated areas, if you live in the country or in a less populated area there is less concern from pollution or spraying... parasites and diseases can be killed by washing and baking the branches.

Last edited by ParrotletsRock; 10-19-2016 at 02:12 PM..
Closed Thread