Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

To New Members

32K views 134 replies 99 participants last post by  srtiels 
#1 ·
First of all welcome to Talk Cockatiels!:D

I would just like to encourage you to introduce yourself and join in discussions on the forums. :) We're a very friendly bunch here and would love to hear from you and your flock.

More people posting will result in more discussion, more learning and more FUN for everyone here at Talk Cockatiels. Whether you just want to share something cute that your cockatiels have done, or if you have a question to ask or a tip that you would like to share, don't hesitate to post - i promise we don't bite...hard. ;)

Bea
Talk Cockatiels Admin

#2 ·
I also would like to welcome all new members, Bea is right we have a great group of people and some real characters (I won't mention any names you know who you are....lol) We love hearing about your Cockatiels and seeing pictures so don't be afraid to post them, we can all learn so much from each other through our experiences. :)

Laura
Talk Cockatiels SuperMod

#4 ·
I wish you a very big welcome to talk cockatiels! :D Like many of us here we are daily visitors, you can post pictures of your adorable cockatiel(s) or visit our Chit Chat section were you can talk off-subject about anything:)
Please feel welcome to ask questions & ask advise about any worries concerning your cockatiel(s):)

Sophia
A Daily Visitor Here:p

#97 ·
This is my first time using this site and since I am in the company of other tiel lovers I know I shall be using it often. This is my story on my tiel experience. We got our first tiel in June of 2008. My son loves birds and had been wanting one for a very long time. I was hesitant; I was somewhat cautious around birds as I startle easily and I didn't want to be pecked! Anyway, he had seen pictures of whiteface tiels and really liked them so we looked all over central Illinois and found a wonderful store in Champaign, IL called SAILFIN that had whiteface tiels at that time. We went over there and they had several young whitefaces. They are very careful with their birds; you cannot just buy one and take it home-you spend time with your choice in the store and staff works with you for several weeks to educate you and work on your new relationship. They feel you don't pick the bird-the bird picks you. Anyway, my son (calling himself the actual bird owner) picked a young, unknown gender whiteface and we named the tiel Sydney, not knowing the gender. Sydney had no problems riding home with us 45 miles in the car. We bought a traveling cage and he walked around and chirped several times. To make a long story short, we found out from our avian veterinarian that Sydney was a male as he was quite the whistler and singer. He soon learned "Reveille" from my husband whistling it and with his cage housed in our son's room at night, he would whistle "Reveille" at about 6:30 in the morning to wake up our son. He spent most of his time out of the cage and flew about the house. We chose to let his wings grow out because he loved flying so much. Sydney really bonded to me and spent most of his time perched on me. He was a sweetheart and would gently nibble on my lip and give me kisses. When I would come home he would cry out his greeting. He loved to help me do dishes and laundry and had to inspect everything. We all loved him, but I had the special bond with him. In April, 2010, my husband had Syd with him and walked out into the garage to close th door forgetting Sydney was on his shoulder. Our little whiteface flew right out the garage door and over the roof of our neighbor's home. We immediatley went out looking for him; calling and whistling for him, but it was getting dark and we had no luck. I cried most of the night and got up before dawn and made posters. By dawn I was stapling posters to the telephone poles at the top and bottoms of the streets around us, calling Sydney. He responded on the next street over from us and I saw him flying and circling around. We ran to the area and got around the tree he landed in with me calling him and shaking a goldfish cracker bag as he loved his goldfish crackers. He responded several times, however, we could not see him. After about 30 minutes he suddenly flew from that tree and circled around the area several minutes. At one point he looked like he was flying right at me, but veered off. He was very high and I think he did not know how to come down or land. We searched for days, posting on the web at various sites, distributing posters, walking and walking and calling him for blocks around our neighborhood. We put his cage out and even moved it into the back yard of a house where someone thought they saw him. The last time I heard anyone say they saw him was about a month after he flew off. A woman two streets away thought she saw him sitting on a tree branch at the edge of a wooded area where a bike trail cut through. I have never given up, totally-I still call for Sydney when I take walks. It has been a year and a half and I periodically post ads in the local lost and found classifieds and keep one up constantly on Craigslist and 911parrotalert.com. I grieve for him and cry when I think of what could have happened to him. I hope someone has him; at least he would be in a home, being fed rather than out there with weather issues and predators. A couple of months after we lost Sydney I visited SAILFIN again, wanting another cockatiel as we were planning on getting a second one to keep Sydney company. A young whiteface pearl wolf whistled at me, climbing up and down the bars of his cage. He was quite a bit larger than Sydney and very flashy looking. We brought him home 2 weeks later and named him (Max)imus Squawkus as he was pretty noisy. Max also bonded to me, however, he was much more amorous than Sydney. I had to move him off my arms and hands as he had just one thing in mind! He also loved to strut and was quite the proud male with his chest puffed out and his wings held out from his body. He wanted to ride on our heads, but we would put him down on our arm or shoulder. He also learned songs, however, he would come up with his own version after whistling the first part. He would whistle and then cock his head for you to whistle the same thing back. Then he would repeat the tune, but add to it and want you to copy it. That was his little game. If I took a nap and when I went to bed I would wheel his cage into our room next to the bed and he would quiet down immediately. He was friendly with my husband and son, but very bonded to me. He was a very strong flyer even after his wings were clipped. About one year after we got Max he was in the living room with me and he was playing with a toy on the bookcase at the far end of our living room. My husband was leaving and I had to tell him something so I hesitated, looking at Max and thought he was preoccupied, so ran to the front door and sliding through quickly to shout out to my husband from the front porch. As I slipped back in I heard Max calling out several times. I got in the living room and could not find him. He had flown out the small area of the door as I slipped through. I was hysterical. Again, we went through the same process as 14 months earlier with Sydney. Posters distributed to each home for several blocks around us, lost and found classifieds, web sites, calling shelters and vets, but to no avail. My son saw him twice in the neck 6 weeks right in our yard as I had put out his cage and birdfeed. He had flown off before I got outside. I haven't seen him for several months now, though I continue to look. I grieve for my birds and think of them every day. I pray and pray and call for both of them, but to no avail. Now autumn is here and the trees are shedding their leaves. I think of Sydney and Max and wonder what has happened to them-and I am besieged with guilt and tears as I can't bear to think they are quite probably deceased by now. I cannot quit thinking of them and their endearing ways and how much I love them. I love cockatiels now and have thought of getting one or two more, but then I feel guilty as I don't want to betray my lost boys. I would love to hear from other cockatiel lovers who could respond to my sad story. Could my two birds live through the seasons of central Illinois-do they move off from the area they were lost in? I need support as my husband is impatient with me and tells me to "get over it-they are gone for good"

#6 ·
Well Ray welcome to the forum its nice to have you join. I think you'll enjoy it here there are a lot of great people if you have any questions or even just wanna talk in the chit chat. Sorry for the loss of your tiel but congrats on your new purchase i hope he/she is just as nice a bird and at least helps fill a bit of the void
Mikey

#7 ·
Hi everyone I'm new here and I just bought myself a pied today from some guy who was mistreating him. He's a bit nippy but overall I'm showing him that I'm the "master" and he's ALREADY gotten better with me. He's quite affectionate at times. he wants his head pet and he loves to play with my hair and some coins. He'll take a coin over and drop it on my cats head just to bug her hahahahaaa it's soooooooo cute!
Eventually I would love to get him a friend, but I'm worried about breeding, aggression, all that stuff. I don't even know if he....IS A HE. lol... I'm still learning. Anywho I'm Jenn and my babies name is Bekham

#8 ·
hi i'm just rehomed a two teils and the female has no feathers around her neck and tips of wings and under wings but she is other wise healthy. The girl who had the seemed to of taked pretty good care of them as far as i can tell. Is this something I should be overly worried about? My tiels names are Spike And Abbie. I've checked thier droppings and they are the normal green in center and white in out side not runny, thier drinking water and eatting thier food as well as fruits and veggies and mellit. Should I just watch I've only had then 2 days

#9 · (Edited)
nannyrobyn

:)Hi everyone..I live in New Zealand and I am new to this thread. Lots of great reading and beautiful photos. I have 2 breeding budgies plus 5 x (2 month) old beautiful babies and she is sitting on some more. My problem is that I am looking after my nieces cockatiel's which was sitting on eggs now she's not. I got the first one she laid out and candled it which looks fertile so I put it with my budgie who is sitting on it. Should I do that?? just a bit worried if it hatches what her reaction will be and if the other chicks will all be OK. The other cockatiel eggs are stone cold 4 in total. 3 where infertile and one was fertile. Is it alright to leave this egg with my budgie....She is a good mum,would she feed the cockatiel chick do you think??? please help....Robyn

#10 ·
i think ill post here too :p
welcome to the forums everyone. im from canada ^_^
i joined these forums maybe a month or two ago. my bf gave me two cocktiels in late july as an early b-day present. he breds them and has 10, soon it may be more. My cockatiels are max(cinnamon) and freya (lutino) they are almost 7 months old :)

#14 ·
hi-
i just adopted my friends cockatiel....his name is Chicken. I have had everything from finches to macaws but at the moment my only feathered friend is Chicken. He is very sweet and cute:>

#16 ·
Hi, I'm Jamie and i have a budgie, Macy, two cats, Sooty and Kohl and two guinea pigs, Patch and Molly :D
although i dont have a tiel i rly love them and want one to keep my budgie company(in seperate cages of course :) ) i want to find out eveeryything i need before i get a tiel so im prepared!
i attached a pic of my budgie though, just cuz she's soooo beeaauuutiiful:love:

Attachments

#18 ·
Hi. to all, I found this site after putting in Cockatiels in the search bar on Google and find it absolutely great. I just love all the information and photo`s I have just a week ago after a long search got a baby Tiel of now just 18 weeks old.My partner had a tiel "Jimjam Duvet" and I took her on ov er a year ago as she was left on her own all week as he was away on business. She was a wonderfull companion and I was devastated when she died my partner was given her as a present after she was found flying around on friends property and as they had a parrot thought it better to rehome her.We think she was 13 to 14 years old.So now we have Maddie as we were told at the pet shop it is a girl. We take the shops word for this tho how do we tell. Jimjam Duvet used to lay eggs periodically so we guessed she was female.(Bless her)I am trying to get her to come to me but she is very nervous and I give her treats to encourage her to be friendly.She is coming to the front of the cage now and I can put my hand up to her.Only after a week so quite pleased with this result.Any advice would be gratefully received.:)

#19 ·
Hello Wend. Welcome! At 18 weeks it is difficult to tell the sex of a bird. There are markings that are specific to males and to females but at this age they all have the same markings. Only as they mature can you differentiate between the sexes. However it's more difficult with Pieds. Behavior is the best indicator of the sex of your bird. Males will be very vocal and that may have already started. Between 3 and 4 months young males find their voices and start chattering with great regularity. So if your bird is still quiet chances are it IS a female.

#20 ·
Hello we're new here ...

Hello there we are new here. Let me first introduce us, and tell you a little bit about our cockatiels. My name is Joani and Hedwig is my whitefaced pearl male cockatiel. Joey is my husband and his birds name is Albus Dumbledore "Al" and he is a pearl male. I tried to upload a couple of photos, but the pictures were too big. We've had our cockatiels for two weeks now. They were both handfed, but once we got Hedwig home he started to bite, but I've been working with him almost every day with click training that I picked up from Chet Womachs' videos, and he is doing very well with that now. Al is very curious, but he gets bored with the click training ... he will just walk right past the stick and the millet just to get to your shoulder. Anyways ... hello.

#25 ·
Newbie Here

Hi Everyone,
My name is kathy and I go by Moonraven. I am presently looking for a cockatiel.We have 1 ringneck dove who is 21 years old, 2 canaries, 1 love bird and 1 pacific parrottlet.They are our featherd family.We also have 3 cats, 1 dog and 2 betas,
We had a long time ago 2 cockateils but they have passed over to the rainbow bridge.
I have been searching for breeders in the western NY area and haven't been lucky.Most are from either NYC or very close to it I don't want to buy from a pet store.They over charge and really don't pay much attention to them except to clean the cages and feed them. All my birds have come from breeders.
If anyone knows of a breeder in my area could you let me know.I live about 26 miles west of Rochester,NY
Hope to get to know all of you,
Kat

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.