Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

What meds. for a upper resp. infection

Tags
illness sick
1K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  chloe92us 
#1 ·
I bought my bird from a pet store ...and he sneezed a lot. I thought it was my house or the bird had allergies. Well I can see visable signs:

-laying at the bottem of his cage
-puffed upd
-sleeping alot

We wanted to know of what medication is good to buy for a upper respirtory infection... considering that is what is wrong. Thank you for you help and if there is anything that i can do now until the meds arrive.

Danny H:

#2 ·
Rather than jump into treating a bird when you do not know the source of the problem or if there really is a problem you might want to find the cause....such as birds are sensitive to strong smell such as perfume, candles with essential oils, room deodorizers etc.

If it is not an irritant causing the problem, rather than self treating it would be in the birds best interest to take it to an avian vet.

#4 ·
Then he needs to see a vet!!! This is not a place where we can offer treatment as we are NOT qualified. A vet is the only one that can prescribe what your bird needs. There is no otc treatment for birds, some things can be very harmful to them. Wouldn't rather spend the 50 bucks for the vet visit now then spend 200 bucks later to find out what killed the bird?

#6 ·
You do if you have other birds in the house to worry about like I do...if one dies the others are in danger. Our birds mean that much to us that we are willing to spend that money on them, otherwise if you're not willing to then why have them in the first place? They're not decorations, they're living creatures that rely on us for their wellbeing....

Anyways, that's off topic. If you think its an upper RI the only thing I know for that are drops I got from the vet for my guys. You can try putting honey in their water, its a natural antibiotic but its not going to make the issue totally go away.

#7 ·
and you realize birds illnesses have a lot of the same symptoms. i assume you are an avian vet then since you already know what's wrong... well if not maybe you shoulld go see one. what if it's psittacosis? you realize that has the same symptoms?

take your bird to the vet it wont kill you... but NOT taking your poor bird will kill HIM!

#8 ·
You need prescription medication to treat an infection. Even if we could tell you definitively what's wrong, you will not have access to the proper medication unless you see a vet. If he is already lying at the bottom of the cage, he is severely ill and may need emergency care that only a vet can provide. If you don't want to pay for tests, which are admittedly expensive, you might ask for a course of Baytril. It is a broad spectrum antibiotic and takes care of many bacterial infections a bird might have. However, this is not a guarantee as it may not be bacterial at all. A vet exam to get a prescription is the minimum care you must provide for your bird.

#9 · (Edited)
figures i get some answer like that...

"with your lack of knowledge go spend money"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It is not this forums responsibility to diagnose and suggest a treatment for your bird. It is your responsibility to provide the best care for your bird. Part of that is to find out the cause of the problem...such if it was an existing problem that was latent in the bird or a result of it's new environment, care, food allergies etc. A vet is the best line of defense to find answers and treatment if needed.

And here is an interesting article on OTC meds.: http://www.realmacaw.com/pages/overcount.html

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.