Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

Urgent advice is needed Please

912 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  littletiel 
#1 ·
Hello All ,

Guys, I've a cock who masturbation 3 times a day ,and I tried changing the
cage,nest, and several hens, and still same habit. Latest hen is trying to help him , once he tries to masturbates , she comes closer and closer to him until she reached his feet while doing this, but still he would not ever try to mount her. I left them several times , both are good and full take care of their unfertilized eggs.

Any recommendation guys?

#2 ·
What is your goal here? Are you wanting them to mate and have babies, or are you just trying to get the male to stop masterbating? The reason I ask is there are completely different things to try depending on the outcome you're looking for.

I'm assuming you have the male in the same cage with multiple females? A little more information on your set up and what you want to see happen will help us answer you.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

#3 · (Edited)
well, I'll explain more.Previously I tried several hens with him until he found his love, they are love each others since a year...What's am trying to say , is there any way to encourage him to mate her female and have babies instead of doing this behavior.which cause the hen to waste time in incubating unfertilized eggs.

#4 ·
Okay, now I understand. Is he in a cage with only that particular hen, or are there other birds in the cage with them? Sometimes it helps a lot if it's just the two of them in one cage with one nest box.

If they are bonded, meaning that they preen each other, feed each other, etc. then it will probably happen soon, though there is no guarantee that they will mate. Some pairs do, some just become "friends", some hate each other, some just ignore each other. It's not something you can really force. It's obviously that he's in breeding mode, but if he doesn't want to mate with that particular female or the female doesn't want to mate with him, there isn't much you can do. But it really does take time for them to figure it out.

The best thing you can do is to put them in the same cage together alone, just the two of them, and give them their space. Some people think putting a next box in helps, some don't. I always put the nest box in the breeding cage with bedding in it at the start of the season when I bred budgies, that way they were ready to go. So if you don't already have them alone together and have a nest box in with them I'd suggest starting there. Make sure they have a cuttlebone and a mineral block, they need a lot of calcium available. Feed lots of fresh veggies and fruits along with their pellets/seeds. Increasing the amount of daylight they have each day (making their days a couple of hours longer than usual) can help as well. And then just wait it out...Don't be surprised if they do mate without you seeing them either, that happens a lot. All of a sudden eggs appear in the nest box and they're fertile!

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

#5 ·
And if that doesn't work...do you have a male that actually mates with hens the right way? I kid you not, sometimes a tiel just needs to see how it's done first. I had a young male who was completely clueless, no idea what he was doing, and only mounted his chosen mate after seeing one of my older birds do it. Granted, he was clumsy, lost his balance, and fell off of her the first time, but he got the hang of it. So if you have a pair that is already in breeding mode, maybe set them up next to this pair and see if the male can't learn a thing or two.

#6 ·
I had a young male who was completely clueless
I think my boy would be clueless too... He is still mum's little boy and even calls me when he wants to come out of the cage (even if the door is open).
He used to masturbate with a blanket with a teddy bear on it (and very passionately too!), but I took it away from him and now he doesn't do it at all...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.