Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

Is this normal?

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  tweetsandsarah 
#1 ·
I have had Luma for 3 days now and I'm unsure about a few things.

She calls/shrieks whenever myself or my fiance are in the same room as her, should we give her attention when she does this or should we ignore it?

Also she's a bit of a nipper, not too painful but she has lunged a few times but then will still step up onto my hand and climb up onto my shoulder.

Just very confused at the moment on how to respond to her behavior...

#2 ·
3 days is a very short time, if she's stepping onto your hand and shoulder then she's doing brilliantly :)

When my birds shout at me I ignore them, think of a human baby, if you ran to it every-time it cried it would soon learn that crying gained attention, birds are no different.
You could speak back to her though, I speak to mine, I tell them they know I won't go to them until they are quiet LOL.

And for 3 days I think the nipping is quite normal too, her whole life has changed and she needs to get used to her new surroundings and gain trust in you :) She will soon settle down, take everything slowly and at her pace, don't try to rush her into doing something she's not yet ready for yet :)

She's doing well, patience is the key :)

#3 ·
My Charlie will fret and start tweeting loudly and pacing when I leave the room. So I have a special whistle that I do whenever he can't see me. That way he knows I'm still close and I can still hear him. Since I've been doing it he is much happier when I walk out of the room. He doesn't pace and we have fun with me whistling and him calling back to me - its really cute!
Maybe something like that will help your Luma :)

#4 ·
She could be a little stressed since it's only been a few days. I would try to make things calm and slow if she is distressed.

If it doesn't seem like this is the case and she is wanting attention, it is true that you may not want to reward her behavior. A flock call like Lou mentioned could help, but you said it is when you enter the room so it may not apply here.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.