Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

Tame Cockatiels hissing?

12K views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  meowmiaou 
#1 ·
Hello, I was wondering if anyone could help me with this, I find it very strange, is this common?

I have 2 Cockatiels that I brought from someone on the internet about 7 or 8 months ago, both females called Jezza and Stiggy.
They were not very tame for about 2 months, they hissed and tried attacking me, but within about 1 month of getting them, I got them on my finger, now 7 months later they are really happy to see me when I get home from school, they love getting on me and playing with my hair and watching TV with me and they do this on there own terms, but sometimes if I try get them on my finger they hiss and sometimes peck me, I have looked all over the internet and everyone says it's because they are frightened, these Birdies are obviosly not scared at all! they love me now and are very, very tame, why do they do this?

#2 ·
Arthur does this too :D He doesn't bite or anything, just hisses and fake pecks sometimes when he's feeling grumpy! I know he's not afraid of me either and he's quite tame :) They just have little attitudes!

#3 ·
All mine do it when they are in a blah mood and don't want to do anything...they're not frightened they just don't feel like it. It's like a teenager lol.

#4 ·
But the thing is, mine do it all the time, and sometimes can cause my finger to bleed a bit.

#5 ·
They're telling you that they don't want to get on your finger! Try some positive reinforcement training, where you give them a little treat for stepping up without hissing or biting. If necessary, hold the treat so they have to step up on the finger to reach it.

#6 ·
Well that is the thing that confuses me, they love getting on me, and after they hiss they hop on all happy and jump onto my shoulder.

#7 ·
when they do that they are likely telling you that they are not comfortable stepping up at that moment. I would respect that and not push it because if you do it may push them to bite or worse to feel like they can't trust you because you have pushed them when they communicated not to. There are times when my birds, not usually my cockatiels, but sometimes my Amazon or my Conure that very clearly let me know that now is not a good time. I know that if I don't respect that I could get bitten. So, I back off and ask again a while later. You might just open the cage and allow them to come out and come to you:)

#8 ·
They're just asserting their right to say no. Freddie loves nothing more than coming out and hanging out with me, but if he's comfy on one hand or my leg and I want him to step up when he doesn't want to, he pecks me first ... and then steps up anyway, because he's a good boy. :D He just wants me to know he objects. Don't take it personally, it's just a birdy thing.

#9 ·
It's more difficult than that though :)

You can tell by looking at they're faces that they really don't mind getting on, you know that look they give they want you to go away? they don't do that.

It's really hard to describe what I'm talking about :(

#10 ·
Hi, I'm not too bright on this sort of stuff but someone once told me that some birds are afraid of the finger. So even though they may enjoy being on you, they might not like the finger. I had a budgie that for ages wouldn't get on my finger but was happy to jump onto a stick. Then after awhile, in his own time, he eventually was ok on my fingers. Maybe the last owner scared them with fingers.... I don't know. My new cockatiel hisses at me sometimes (was so weired out when first heard it... BIRDS HISS????) but if I just hold me finger near him and wait til he forgets its their then I can move it closer to him. You've been very lucky to get two birds trained to like you, I got two together and they were so in love with each other, they wouldn't come anywhere near me, even though they were hand reared. Good luck.

#12 ·
Mine gets grouchy sometimes in the evening whens she's had too much playtime. Also, she thinks you're trying to put her back to her cage and even though she's sleepy she doesn't want to go. So she does the open mouth lunging and not really bite, but backs away and squawks. It's like toddlers, they're tired and grumpy but won't take a nap.

#15 ·
Elvis loves being on me too, but when I try to move him off my shoulder, leg arm - whatever and he doesn't want to, he will hiss and peck my finger. The pecks are always just little taps and I've never bled because of it. When he does this I see it as him being a bit of a brat and not wanting to do what I'm asking of him.

If they do this all the time when they're on you, then maybe you need to train them that it's ok to get OFF you too?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.