Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

What to feed cockatiel with chicks?

3K views 15 replies 4 participants last post by  ParrotletsRock 
#1 ·
My female cockatiel laid an egg yesterday but i've been looking online but still not sure what to feed them.
I've been feeding them high quality seeds, fresh vegetable and sometimes fruit.
They also get liquid calcium and vitamins in their water.

I'm not sure what to feed them so they would feed the chicks?
I've heard bread and milk is quite good
THanks
:wf cinnamon: :grey tiel: :pearl:

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
You shouldn't use hay as nesting material as that will poke the chicks eyes you need to use wood shavings. And what your feeding is fine just don't do the bitamins/calcium every day. You can get them egg food which is called employment is good and easier for them to feed the babies they love it

#3 ·
It's best to stick to as natural a diet as possible So seed everyday or pellets with a fresh supply of vegetables and fruit everyday as well. Always make sure your birds have a cuttle fish bone to eat when they need it too. In the uk we have an egg food called emp you can also get egg biscuit which is the same but in a large biscuit shape rather than crumbs you can feed as it is or wet it but when it's wet you have to change it more often. Bread and milk is a huge mistake birds wouldn't find this in the wild.

#5 ·
Thank you all so much for your replies really helped me with my cockatiels.
I have ordered some wood shaving and they should be arriving veery soon. thanks fran.bath89, i live in the UK as well and ordering the egg food right now. i know not to keep them milk now.
i should keep you guys posted on the progress hopefully we have some chicks soon. :)

#8 ·
Glad we could all help I hope you get chicks soon! It's so exciting!! Have you candled the eggs? I use the torch on my phone or a pen torch it's very easy to tell if you have viable eggs or not as long as they have been incubated for at least 4days

#9 ·
update
Saturday night or Sunday morning the second egg was layed and i have everything i need to give to them. it's all down to them now but my male don't seem to be sitting only the female, she is spending a lot of her time sitting on the nestbox. the male still visit the nest but he doesn't spend 5 min in there but i'm not there watching them 24 hours a day but i still have high hope.
Thanks everyone

#12 ·
My male cockatiel has been sitting on the eggs now, i think he was waiting for millie to lay the third eggs.
I like your videos and did you hand feed the babies ParrotletsRock because your birds was very friendly. thank you for reply

i candled the first egg yesterday and im very happy to say that it is fertile and can't wait for it to hatch :)

Attachments

#15 ·
Males generally sit on the nest in the evening and females in the day. I kept worrying about mine as I hardly ever saw my female on the eggs until the last week when she was on them all the time but they hatched! So just don't disturb them too much

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.