Cockatiel(s) outside without harness/cage. (PLEASE READ) - Talk Cockatiels Forums

User Menu
Forum Home
Cockatiel Gallery
Members List
Today's Posts
Register now!
Search

Advanced Search
Forums
Sticky Library

Cockatiel Talk

Cockatiel Housing/Toys

Cockatiel Pictures

Cockatiel Videos

Cockatiel Health

Food & Nutrition

Training & Bonding

Cockatiel Breeding

Mutations & Genetics

Cockatiel Articles

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Cockatiels Forums > Cockatiels > Cockatiel Pictures

Notices

Cockatiel Pictures Share photos of your cockatiels here.

Closed Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 07:18 AM
Super Tiel

Cockatiel Information
Number of Cockatiels: 10+
Cockatiel Experience Level: Cockatiel Owner
Renae is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Cockatiel(s) outside without harness/cage. (PLEASE READ)

Due to a recent thread, I'm having to put out a warning to everyone on this forum, including new people, new owners, even if you've owned a Cockatiel/Cockatiels for a long time.

Please DO NOT take your Cockatiel(s) outside unless they're in a secured cage or in a harness.

Even if your Cockatiel(s) wings are clipped, there is STILL a risk of a gust of wind coming and your Cockatiel(s) can get flight from that and you will end up with your beloved Cockatiel(s) being lost.

Secured Cage - by putting your Cockatiel(s) outside in a secure cage, you will know they're not only safe, but cannot fly away. If you decide to put your Cockatiel(s) outside, please make sure they're under close supervision; if you have cats roaming around or even dogs, your Cockatiel(s) can be seriously hurt, even killed if either one of these 4 legged animals get to them. Also bigger birds out in the wild such as Hawks can easily come down and attack your Cockatiel(s) even through cage bars, it's not difficult, any sort of bird like this will result in your Cockatiel(s) being injured badly or killed.

You can take them out in their normal cage they are kept in, or you can buy a little cage just for while they're outside and transfer them back into their normal cage once back inside.

**Please make sure the bottom of the cage is secure before you take it outside! Cage bottoms can come loose and your bird(s) will fly away if this happens.**

Here's a few nice little cages that would be perfect to go outside in:

SIDE NOTE: Please make sure any cages you use to take your Cockatiel(s) outside in, have the right bar spacing, I would go no bigger than 1/2".

Harness - there's a lot of Harnesses used these days, a very popular harness is the Aviator Harness - this is one of the safest Harnesses out there and is easy to use as well as easy to put on your Cockatiel(s)! Using one of these will guarantee your birds safety as well as being able to hang out with you outside or in your backyard/frontyard, again please be careful and preferebly have your Cockatiel(s) away from any dogs/cats.

The Aviator Harness:

**Please make sure your bird's harness is fitting snugly and secure before taking them outside!**

This is not to pick on people, or tell you what you should and shouldn't do, but your Cockatiel(s) safety relys on you, and we're all just looking out for your Cockatiel(s), we hate to see people lose any bird that means a lot to them, therefore, caging or harnessing your bird while outside means no worries and you don't have to worry about your bird flying off and having a owner heartbroken.

If you have any questions, or have something to add to this thread, you can PM me or reply to this thread. Thanks.
BioRileyMishkaRioFreddyEmmit
ShilohSnickersShiroLarryCharlie

Last edited by Renae; 03-30-2013 at 07:28 PM..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2010, 12:58 PM
Hatching

Cockatiel Information
Number of Cockatiels: 3
Cockatiel Experience Level: Cockatiel Lover
Toirtis is on a distinguished road

The clipped bird + gust of wind is no small risk. I know a woman locally that took her freshly clipped cockatoo into the back yard, and whilst chatting with the neighbour across the fence, a gust came up and the cockatoo managed to get enough air to glide two yards over where he was promptly eaten by a dog.

As far as the raptor (hawk/falcon/etc) risk goes...never underestimate how lighting fast and completely silent a raptor can strike...you will likely never know they are there until it is far too late. Remember too...a harness will keep your bird from flying off, but not protect against a raptor, and even if your bird is sitting quietly, a raptor can spot it easily from 500 meters away.

And for those of you where they are about, beware of weasels and snakes...both of which love birds and can get through some pretty narrow cage bars.
Vice-president, Calgary Aquarium Society (Est. 1951)
http://www.calgaryaquariumsociety.com

1.1 Nymphicus hollandicus, 0.0.1 Pyrrhura molinae, 2.3 Tupinambis rufescens (red tegu), 2.0 Tupinambis merianae (B&W tegu),0.1 Felis domesticusNumerous fish and newts, 15 tarantulas
Old 03-31-2010, 02:07 PM
Youngster

Cockatiel Information
Siobhan is on a distinguished road

Raptors don't make any sound when they fly. That's how they can dive-bomb other birds or prey and the prey doesn't know they're coming until it's too late. The design of their wings is such that air goes through them silently. So you won't hear them coming, either. We take our Quakers outdoors, IN their cages, and only when we are sitting right there with them, and we keep them with us on the deck. It's unlikely, but not impossible, that a raptor or a cat would try to get to them with us there, but if we're sitting a few inches away we can intervene and defend them. We'll probably take Freddie outdoors in his cage, too, this summer, under the same conditions. Even with a harness, I'd be uneasy about taking a bird outdoors without a cage, for the bird's safety. I've watched my dogs slip out of their collars and one dog I had could slip out of a harness like Houdini, so I wouldn't trust a bird harness very far.
Benjy (budgie) RIP Bonnie
Maggie (pigeon)
George, Gigi and Jack (dogs) RIP Boots
Ringo (starling)
Wally, Marty and Ellie (bettas)
and Hubby

Old 03-31-2010, 07:07 PM
Super Tiel

Cockatiel Information
Number of Cockatiels: 10+
Renae is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siobhan View Post
Even with a harness, I'd be uneasy about taking a bird outdoors without a cage, for the bird's safety. I've watched my dogs slip out of their collars and one dog I had could slip out of a harness like Houdini, so I wouldn't trust a bird harness very far.
You're comparing a DOG COLLAR to a BIRD HARNESS, sorry but they're two completely different things. A dog can slip out of a collar easily, they have more strength than a Cockatiel.. I have the Aviator Harness and I take my Green Cheek Conure everywhere with me and she's never slipped out once. I also know people on another forum (around over 40 people) who also use the Aviator Harness on their Lovebirds, Amazons, Cockatoos, Sun Conures, African Greys and they're a lot stronger then Cockatiels but have never escaped either. Before you start judging Harnesses why not do research on them before hand.
BioRileyMishkaRioFreddyEmmit
ShilohSnickersShiroLarryCharlie

Old 04-01-2010, 12:01 AM
Hatching

Cockatiel Information
Toirtis is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvMyTiels View Post
... in my area we have problems with raccoons and bear tearing open cages to get to animals inside.
Good point...raccoons especially can be terrible...and terribly sneaky/quick.
Vice-president, Calgary Aquarium Society (Est. 1951)
http://www.calgaryaquariumsociety.com

1.1 Nymphicus hollandicus, 0.0.1 Pyrrhura molinae, 2.3 Tupinambis rufescens (red tegu), 2.0 Tupinambis merianae (B&W tegu),0.1 Felis domesticusNumerous fish and newts, 15 tarantulas
Old 06-17-2010, 06:53 AM
Hatching

Cockatiel Information
Number of Cockatiels: 2
bird brain is on a distinguished road

The threat of hawks and falcons is real. And yes, people do loose their birds to them. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikDpYwDKQ_A
Old 09-05-2010, 01:21 AM
Super Tiel

Cockatiel Information
Number of Cockatiels: 2
MeanneyFids is on a distinguished road

yes its happened! a hawk even as small as a sharp shinned hawk (hardly bigger than a pigeon) can take down a bird its own size, it even preys specifically on BIRDS! in europe, asia its closest thing to compare it to would be a sparrowhawk as they are all accipiter hawks, meaning true hawks that hunt other birds. do not be fooled they dont live around you. they live in suburban parks, backyards, even city streets with trees.

Heres some pictures ive taken of these particular hawks being banded at a local conservation area! do NOT underestimate that size, they will kill a tiel in a matter of seconds.

Those Meanney Fids FB Page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Those-...284656?fref=ts
Photo Gallery Project: http://s1282.photobucket.com/user/Me...?sort=3&page=1

All posts and photos of mine posted here are copyrighted by Casey Meanney.
Old 12-19-2011, 02:51 AM
Super Tiel

Cockatiel Information
Number of Cockatiels: 13
Cockatiel Experience Level: Cockatiel Enthusiast
bjknight93 is on a distinguished road

On that note, it is also dangerous to have your tiels out while cooking! There is a member on here whose tiel flew into hot grease and had some pretty severe burns. It made it okay but i'm sure it was super painful and it had to be traumatic. I wouldn't even want to imagine what would happen with fire from a grill and a tiel... =/
•Marley•

Last edited by bjknight93; 08-23-2012 at 01:22 PM..
Old 08-23-2012, 01:33 PM
Super Tiel

Cockatiel Information
Number of Cockatiels: 13
Cockatiel Experience Level: Cockatiel Enthusiast
bjknight93 is on a distinguished road

I am bumping this thread because it needs to be seen! There, quite recently, have been 2 posts about member's cockatiels flying away. And that is 2 too many in my opinion. It shouldn't be happening! These 2 threads made me write this post:

http://talkcockatiels.com/showthread.php?t=32730

http://talkcockatiels.com/showthread.php?t=32813

Thankfully, both members got their birds back..one the next morning, and one immediately after. But you should NEVER take your bird(s) outside without a harness or cage. It is not being a responsible bird owner, and you are risking their lives everytime you do it.

Please everyone read through this thread..there is a really well written topic at the beginning and personal experiences following.

Here is my experience:

My rescue bird, who has broken wings, escaped out a door earlier this month. I was misting her (and she hates her baths) so as soon as someone opened the door she took off. This is a bird who never flies more than 2 feet off the ground and never goes more than 5 feet away. Allie flew out my door, hung a sharp left, and flew 50 yards into my next door neighbor's yard. Thankfully, his cat was not around and she landed in a small bush. So, while my story isn't related to irresponsibly taking my bird outside without a cage or harness, it proves that even when you think your bird can't fly (broken wings/clipped wings), I assure you it can.

Don't risk your bird's life. If you want to take it outside then go spend $25 and buy it a harness.
•Marley•
Old 08-24-2012, 09:51 PM
Hatching

Cockatiel Information
Number of Cockatiels: 1
lilasmom is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by FwoGiZ View Post
I think it is somewhat funny you guys are scared of hawks and falcons... has anyone ever really lost an animal to these birds??! I personally have a chihuahua and pinscher and they spend 8hrs in the backyard everyday, I have 25km of forest in there (lotso birds and stuffs.. racoons, black bear, etc) and I never really even bothered thinking they could atk my dogs... they're not bigger than a rabbit (4 and 5 pounds)
Now I am not saying letting the bird outside is a good idea, far from there.. the racoons are indeed a treat to them but I think we must not go parano tho!
I would like to try that bird harness too!! I used to care for a military ara and I used to run around the place, holding his claws just so he thinks he s flying;P he would do just like flying with his wings, and scream like ****! I think he really enjoyed it :P good exercise
This is very naive thinking on your part, not to mention completely unsafe. Small dogs should NEVER be alone outside unattended, especially not for 8 hours. Hawks can and HAVE attacked and killed small dogs. Especially being in a rural area, there are so many things that could kill your dogs. Raccoons and other animals can be vicious and have rabies, and if your dog isn't killed he could get rabies (vaccine is not 100% safe). You NEED to start keeping your dogs inside, they could get seriously hurt. Leaving them out there is like playing with fire.

These people are not paranoid. It is not paranoia when trying to prevent escape, injury, or worse, death. Definitely not funny that we are worried about it, as it is a serious issue with small animal owners. Birds, cats, dogs, small mammals, etc, are ALL in danger of wildlife, it is our duty to protect them as their owners. Even if your pets are too heavy to be actually picked up, the damage from a hawk's claws or a raccoon's bite can still be very bad.
Closed Thread