New Cockatiel - Pet shop was feeding him something else - - Talk Cockatiels Forums

User Menu
Forum Home
Cockatiel Gallery
Members List
Today's Posts
Register now!
Search

Advanced Search
Forums
Sticky Library

Cockatiel Talk

Cockatiel Housing/Toys

Cockatiel Pictures

Cockatiel Videos

Cockatiel Health

Food & Nutrition

Training & Bonding

Cockatiel Breeding

Mutations & Genetics

Cockatiel Articles

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Cockatiels Forums > Cockatiels > Your Cockatiels Health > Food And Nutrition

Notices

Food And Nutrition Post any questions you may have about your cockatiels diet here. Also feel free to share any cockatiel recipes you may know of.

Old 12-02-2016, 05:01 PM
Hatching

Cockatiel Information
None
frozengirl is on a distinguished road
Default New Cockatiel - Pet shop was feeding him something else -

Hi everyone,

I got Pablo my cockatiel 6 days ago. When i bought him from the pet store, the lady at the pet store said she was feeding him hagens Tropimix for small parrots. (not for cockatiels).

So I bought it and brought it home, and noticed it has raisins in it. I have been removing the raisans as I dont know if they are okay or not.

Is it okay for my Pablo to be eating this mixture because the food was $25 and since he is used to it, I do not want him to starve. I been mixing cockatiel food called extreme by F.M BRown and this Hagens Tropimix to get him used to other seeds. I have been leaving pellets for him but he doesn't touch them often.

But since hes used to this food and hes in a new environment, he took a day just to eat and I am worried and don't want to take the Tropimix away right away as he might starve.

I have been mixing veges with his seed in the morning for 1 hour as well because he wont eat veges at all. Am slowly introducing it since he wont touch any veges i clip in his cage. Looks like the pet store didn't feed him veges.

Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2016, 02:35 AM
Egg

Cockatiel Information
Number of Cockatiels: 1
Cockatiel Experience Level: Cockatiel Lover
SaraAndSammy is on a distinguished road

I have heard that raisins aren't good for cockatiels, so it may be good that you've been picking them out. Someone else may have more information on this, though.

The food that I feed my tiel is Roudybush Maintenance Mini, as well as fruits and veggies. When discussing food with our vet, the vet was very happy with this diet. I don't know anything about the food you have, this is just what I suggest.

One way to help tiels try new foods is to eat them yourself. I know it sounds funny, but it really works with Sammy. If he doesn't want to try something, I'll put it on a plate as though it's for me and munch on some while he watches. It always peaks his interest and he will willingly take some nibbles.
Old 12-12-2016, 02:58 PM
Adult

Cockatiel Information
Janalee is on a distinguished road
Default feeding something else

Yes, that is true. Raisins and grapes are not good for parrots of any size. I would say it is okay for you to gradually wean him off the food he was given at the pat store and switch him to something else.

Old 12-12-2016, 03:39 PM
Super Tiel

Cockatiel Information
moonchild is on a distinguished road

Honestly, he probably wasn't eating the raisins anyway...I've never seen a cockatiel actually eat dried fruit. I would observe him eating (or just look at his bowl to see which seed husks you can find). This will tell you which seeds/parts he actually is consuming. As long as the replacement food contains those, you can mix it with what he is used to. Also, if you're worried about him not eating enough, you can give him spray millet as a comfort food for a week or so while he is settling in.

FWIW, my birds won't eat veggies or pellets if they are mixed with seed, only if offered separately. I feed budgie-sized Zupreem fruit blend mixed with Roudybush crumbles for pellets, and various brands of small parrot seed. For veggies, I usually have the most luck offering leafy greens and broccoli (big pieces I clip to the cage bars like toys). It might take him a while to get into veggies, but if he is at least eating pellets he'll be okay for now. You could also try Nutriberries.

Autumn (wf pearl) | Ollie (Bourke's parakeet) | Mako & Cloud (linnies)

Last edited by moonchild; 12-12-2016 at 03:41 PM..
Old 12-16-2016, 08:31 PM
Hatching

Cockatiel Information
galactickiwi is on a distinguished road

my bird has never eaten dried fruit. she picks the dried fruit out of her nutriberries specifically so she doesn't eat it, so i wouldn't be too worried i she ate any. she also won't eat any veggies mixed with anything, they have to be on a tubberware lid separate from her other food.
i feed her harrisons food, but a lot of birds really don't like it since it's got a really plain taste so getting them to eat it is kind of hard sometimes.

sometimes my bird will also just stare at any fruits or veggies until i eat one in front of her. why eat her own food when she can just eat mine, i guess lol
Old 12-17-2016, 04:09 PM
Hatching

Cockatiel Information
None

it's been over 3 weeks since I got my cockatiel Pablo, a 2 1/2 year old cockatiel at the pet store who is only eating seeds.

I saw him nibble on pellets a couple of times but would never take more then a couple of nibbles so I attempted a cold turkey approach. I decided for 1 day to not feed him any seeds and it felt horrible. He screamed all day, constantly looked for seeds, and trashed his pellets out of the bowl looking for seeds in the pellet dish. 1 hour before bed he ate probably 20 pellets then went to sleep . I checked his droppings and it didn't look like it had any poop so back to the seed diet I go.

He knows he can eat pellets but just won't. It was a horrible experience that I don't think I can attempt again. When i tried this with my budgies they didn't make a fuss and ate the pellets. I guess I am a bad owner for trying to force the pellets on him.

I feel terrible.
Old 12-19-2016, 01:31 PM
Administrator

Cockatiel Information
Number of Cockatiels: 4
Cockatiel Experience Level: Cockatiel Enthusiast
roxy culver is on a distinguished road

Please don't ever do that again. Birds will starve themselves instead of eating. Have you tried offering nutriberries? They are seed balls that are the equivalent nutritionally of pellets and work great for only seed eaters. He would only need one or two a day along with his normal seed.

That being said, it takes time to change a birds diet. You have to be patient. If he hasn't really settled in yet and learned to trust you, he's not going to accept new food either. So I would recommend taking it slow, but not pushing it. Another really good idea is to offer pellets only for the first hour of the day, then seeds the rest of the day. Make sure the take the seeds out at bedtime so that he is hungry in the morning. He may eat them, he may not, but you just keep trying.
Jeep-normal gray cock
Pebbles-whiteface pearl pied hen
Pankakes-PF cinnamon pearl pied cock

Old 12-20-2016, 03:34 PM
Hatching

Cockatiel Information
None

Yeah i read on a few sites that for the stubborn bird it was okay to try controlled cold turkey approach.
Mind you I gradually worked up to it. Pablo (cockatiel) was tasting the pellets. He just wouldnt eat them for long so I thought this method would work.

Here is one of the few websites:

http://www.roudybush.com/index.cfm?f...ain.foodswitch (controlled)

I decided not to do it again. I will just keep trying with different foods.

I ordered some nutriberries because there are none in my area.

I also am attempting to sprout seeds for the first time, but I am very nervous about it.

I am scared it will spoil and I won't know if it is spoiled or not.

I don't know if I need to use a new clean strainer each time I rinse or not?

Also, I read on different sites that using organic apple cider vinegar is a good way to remove any bacteria on the sprouts, but I read different uses. Please tell me which one is appropiate =(

1. Spray the seeds with apple cider vinegar before serving the sprouts.
or
2. Soak the sprouts for 2-5 minutes in 1 part apple cider vinegar and 5 parts water. Rinse afterwards then serve.
3. Soak in apple cider vinegar for 10-15 minutes then serve (Did not say dilution , if any)

So different sites all have different opinions on sprouting so it makes it very confusing for me.

I have been attempting my first sprout and it is my 2nd day and some of the seeds (only about 10%) have tips but not all. I was reading it only takes 2 days for the tails to come but most of my seeds dont have tails . I guess I will wait until tomorrow. So far I am using the soak for 10 hours then rinse every 12 hours method. During the day I try rinsing every 3-6 hours if I can. I am attempting to sprout only bird seeds, safflower, sunflower, millet, canary. (hagens mix)

Can someone give me a for sure guide to know if the sprouts are gone bad?

Last edited by frozengirl; 12-20-2016 at 03:44 PM..
Old 12-20-2016, 09:30 PM
Administrator

Cockatiel Information
Number of Cockatiels: 4
Cockatiel Experience Level: Cockatiel Enthusiast
roxy culver is on a distinguished road

http://talkcockatiels.com/showthread.php?t=9019 this sticky in the library has really good tips on sprouting.

I personally never used apple cider vinegar in my sprouts. If they are spoiled, you will smell it, trust me. It may take you a couple tries to get it right, but don't give up. Also remember that not all seed mixes sprout and this is due to the poor quality of the seed (it's also a good way to check the quality of your seed.)
Jeep-normal gray cock
Pebbles-whiteface pearl pied hen
Pankakes-PF cinnamon pearl pied cock

Old 12-21-2016, 01:06 PM
Hatching

Cockatiel Information
None

Thanks for your quick response. If only some of the seeds sprout but not all of them, does that mean its not safe to feed the birds ?