Unknown mutations - Page 2 - Talk Cockatiels Forums


User Menu
Forum Home
Cockatiel Gallery
Members List
Today's Posts
Log In
Register now!
Search



Advanced Search
Forums
Sticky Library

Cockatiel Talk

Cockatiel Housing/Toys

Cockatiel Pictures

Cockatiel Videos

Cockatiel Health

Food & Nutrition

Training & Bonding

Cockatiel Breeding

Mutations & Genetics

Cockatiel Articles

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Cockatiels Forums > Cockatiels > Cockatiel Breeding > Cockatiel Mutations and Genetics

Notices

Cockatiel Mutations and Genetics This is the place to ask any questions you might have about your cockatiels mutation, or about potential breeding results, etc.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #11  
Old 12-14-2016, 01:32 PM
ParrotletsRock ParrotletsRock is offline
Adult
 
Cockatiel Information
Number of Cockatiels: 3
Profile
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 1,239
ParrotletsRock is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefontheloose View Post
Still learning that one myself. From what I've read you can get a whiteface from split on both parents. Theses only produce whiteface cinnamon.

Sent from my SM-N915G using Tapatalk
What Roxy said is correct! Genetics can be so darn confusing!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #12  
Old 12-14-2016, 03:41 PM
chefontheloose chefontheloose is offline
Egg
 
Cockatiel Information
None
Profile
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 25
chefontheloose is on a distinguished road
Default

The previous owner's bred they male with a normal grey. And the baby is a (SF) Whiteface male. Also my breeding and genetics program has (DF) Whiteface in it. And when i enter his details and a normal grey female it comes up with

12.5% split Cinnamon (SF) Whiteface split pied (SF) Normal Grey
12.5% split Cinnamon (SF) Whiteface split pied
12.5% split Cinnamon (SF) Whiteface (SF) Normal Grey
12.5% split Cinnamon (SF) Whiteface

12.5 % Cinnamon (SF) Whiteface split pied (SF) Normal Grey
12.5% Cinnamon (SF) Whiteface split pied
12.5% Cinnamon (SF) Whiteface (SF) Normal Grey
12.5% Cinnamon (SF) Whiteface

No split whiteface. And the double factor also makes them lighter in colour to normal whiteface cinnamon.
Sent from my SM-N915G using Tapatalk

Last edited by chefontheloose; 12-14-2016 at 03:48 PM.. Reason: Hadn't finished
  #13  
Old 12-14-2016, 03:50 PM
chefontheloose chefontheloose is offline
Egg
 
Cockatiel Information
None
Profile
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 25
chefontheloose is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefontheloose View Post
The previous owner's bred they male with a normal grey. And the baby is a (SF) Whiteface male. Also my breeding and genetics program has (DF) Whiteface in it. And when i enter his details and a normal grey female it comes up with

12.5% split Cinnamon (SF) Whiteface split pied (SF) Normal Grey
12.5% split Cinnamon (SF) Whiteface split pied
12.5% split Cinnamon (SF) Whiteface (SF) Normal Grey
12.5% split Cinnamon (SF) Whiteface

12.5 % Cinnamon (SF) Whiteface split pied (SF) Normal Grey
12.5% Cinnamon (SF) Whiteface split pied
12.5% Cinnamon (SF) Whiteface (SF) Normal Grey
12.5% Cinnamon (SF) Whiteface

No split whiteface. And the double factor also makes them lighter in colour to normal whiteface cinnamon.
Sent from my SM-N915G using Tapatalk
Also reading online pastleface can now be considered as (DF) and they are on the Whiteface line.

Sent from my SM-N915G using Tapatalk
 
  #14  
Old 12-14-2016, 07:43 PM
chefontheloose chefontheloose is offline
Egg
 
Cockatiel Information
None
Profile
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 25
chefontheloose is on a distinguished road
Default

Going to be healthy babies both the mum and foster mum are feeding the babies.

Sent from my SM-N915G using Tapatalk
  #15  
Old 12-14-2016, 09:01 PM
roxy culver's Avatar
roxy culver roxy culver is offline
Administrator
 
Cockatiel Information
Number of Cockatiels: 4
Cockatiel Experience Level: Cockatiel Enthusiast
Profile
Join Date: May 2010
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 18,529
roxy culver is on a distinguished road
Default

See I've never even seen that format before. Where did you get it?

% from all 1.0
100.0% 1.0 natural /blue(whiteface) cinnamon
% from all 0.1
100.0% 0.1 natural cinnamon /blue(whiteface)

This is what I get in the calculator I use when I enter wf cinnamon male bred to a normal grey hen. I have never, ever heard of wf being considered SF or DF. Pastelface is just another FORM of wf and when you breed a wf to a pf you get visual pf babies. Technically, pf could be considered dominant over wf but it's kind of blurred there.

Like I said, you are saying things we have never heard before. We would not consider a wf bird double factor. This is because if a wf male is bred to a normal hen, the babies would be normal in color split to the wf. Same as with pied.
__________________
Thanks DallyTsuka for siggy!
Owned by:
Snowball-whiteface cinnamon cock
Jeep-normal gray cock
Pebbles-whiteface pearl pied hen
Pankakes-PF cinnamon pearl pied cock

  #16  
Old 12-14-2016, 09:14 PM
chefontheloose chefontheloose is offline
Egg
 
Cockatiel Information
None
Profile
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 25
chefontheloose is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxy culver View Post
See I've never even seen that format before. Where did you get it?

% from all 1.0
100.0% 1.0 natural /blue(whiteface) cinnamon
% from all 0.1
100.0% 0.1 natural cinnamon /blue(whiteface)

This is what I get in the calculator I use when I enter wf cinnamon male bred to a normal grey hen. I have never, ever heard of wf being considered SF or DF. Pastelface is just another FORM of wf and when you breed a wf to a pf you get visual pf babies. Technically, pf could be considered dominant over wf but it's kind of blurred there.

Like I said, you are saying things we have never heard before. We would not consider a wf bird double factor. This is because if a wf male is bred to a normal hen, the babies would be normal in color split to the wf. Same as with pied.

This is the son of the wf cinnamon male and a normal grey. You called him a whiteface?
I'm using Bird Evolution Pro.

Sent from my SM-N915G using Tapatalk

Last edited by chefontheloose; 12-14-2016 at 10:01 PM..
  #17  
Old 12-14-2016, 11:01 PM
roxy culver's Avatar
roxy culver roxy culver is offline
Administrator
 
Cockatiel Information
Number of Cockatiels: 4
Cockatiel Experience Level: Cockatiel Enthusiast
Profile
Join Date: May 2010
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 18,529
roxy culver is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
This is the son of the wf cinnamon male and a normal grey. You called him a whiteface?
Actually yes, that's a whitefaced bird...it means that the hen was a normal split to whiteface hen. She wasn't a visual whiteface, but she carried the gene, which she passed onto this baby in the picture. That's why whiteface is considered recessive...it's like pied, as I have stated before, in that both parents must carry the gene to get a visual baby. That means they either have to be visual or split to the mutation to get a visual baby.
__________________
Thanks DallyTsuka for siggy!
Owned by:
Snowball-whiteface cinnamon cock
Jeep-normal gray cock
Pebbles-whiteface pearl pied hen
Pankakes-PF cinnamon pearl pied cock

  #18  
Old 12-14-2016, 11:06 PM
chefontheloose chefontheloose is offline
Egg
 
Cockatiel Information
None
Profile
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 25
chefontheloose is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxy culver View Post
Actually yes, that's a whitefaced bird...it means that the hen was a normal split to whiteface hen. She wasn't a visual whiteface, but she carried the gene, which she passed onto this baby in the picture. That's why whiteface is considered recessive...it's like pied, as I have stated before, in that both parents must carry the gene to get a visual baby. That means they either have to be visual or split to the mutation to get a visual baby.

This is the mother. Normal grey no split to anything.


From this they have got Double Factor Whiteface.

Sent from my SM-N915G using Tapatalk

Last edited by chefontheloose; 12-15-2016 at 06:29 AM..
  #19  
Old 12-15-2016, 06:59 AM
roxy culver's Avatar
roxy culver roxy culver is offline
Administrator
 
Cockatiel Information
Number of Cockatiels: 4
Cockatiel Experience Level: Cockatiel Enthusiast
Profile
Join Date: May 2010
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 18,529
roxy culver is on a distinguished road
Default

Still not double factor. Sorry but that's not from a source I recognize. Pastelface is NOT a new mutation, it's been around for a while. Pastelface is considered a form of whiteface and IS not df or sf. http://talkcockatiels.com/showthread.php?t=26845 this sticky explains more about recessive genes and how they work.

http://www.justcockatiels.net/pastelface.html this article was written by Susanne Russo, one of the most knowledgeable people I know about cockatiels. In it she explains the pastelface mutation, which has been around for over thirty years and how it's inheritance works. The hen you posted is NOT normal, she's a pastelface, and the fact she had a whiteface baby when paired with a whitefaced male is NOT surprising. It's normal. http://www.justcockatiels.net/whiteface.html this article explains the whiteface mutation and how it is passed onto babies.
__________________
Thanks DallyTsuka for siggy!
Owned by:
Snowball-whiteface cinnamon cock
Jeep-normal gray cock
Pebbles-whiteface pearl pied hen
Pankakes-PF cinnamon pearl pied cock

  #20  
Old 12-15-2016, 07:11 AM
chefontheloose chefontheloose is offline
Egg
 
Cockatiel Information
None
Profile
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 25
chefontheloose is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxy culver View Post
Still not double factor. Sorry but that's not from a source I recognize. Pastelface is NOT a new mutation, it's been around for a while. Pastelface is considered a form of whiteface and IS not df or sf. http://talkcockatiels.com/showthread.php?t=26845 this sticky explains more about recessive genes and how they work.

http://www.justcockatiels.net/pastelface.html this article was written by Susanne Russo, one of the most knowledgeable people I know about cockatiels. In it she explains the pastelface mutation, which has been around for over thirty years and how it's inheritance works. The hen you posted is NOT normal, she's a pastelface, and the fact she had a whiteface baby when paired with a whitefaced male is NOT surprising. It's normal. http://www.justcockatiels.net/whiteface.html this article explains the whiteface mutation and how it is passed onto babies.
That page was from the Australian National Cockatiel Society. So i would say reliable source. The breeder said Double factor and cinnamon. Maybe i misunderstood that for whiteface instead of Dominant Silver? Waiting to hear back from them.

Sent from my SM-N915G using Tapatalk
Closed Thread



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:44 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright © 2007 - , 2403 Networks LLC, All rights reserved.