Cockatiel Articles

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Cockatiels Forums > Cockatiels > Training and Bonding

Notices

Training and Bonding Give and recieve tips on training and bonding with your cockatiel here.

Old 01-07-2017, 08:51 PM
Hatching

Cockatiel Information
None
frozengirl is on a distinguished road

Yeah I dont understand my cockatiel why he does these pretend bites to the budgies but wants to be around them but doesn't want them to preen him or give him kisses. (beak kisses)

He sometimes does the pretend bite when I try to give him a treat too. Like he'll beak the perch like hes mad . open his beak then close it and eat the treat.
I guess hes just nervous still?

I don't think he knows what he wants !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2017, 10:13 PM
Hatching

Cockatiel Information
None

Tonight i decided to give him a sunflower seed. He dropped it then got angry and pretended to bite his leg, or probably did. He beaked his foot like he does with his perch . Im kind of worried about this.

He also still submerges his nostrils underwater 50% of the time when he takes a drink. I spoke to the vet about that and the vet said some birds are not as intelligent as others and he would eventually learn...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TB89QW_80E - this is before I moved his perch down to make it easier to drink but he still does this , lol.
Is my cockatiel crazy? lol

Last edited by frozengirl; 01-07-2017 at 10:21 PM..
Old 01-08-2017, 08:18 AM
Administrator

Cockatiel Information
Number of Cockatiels: 4
Cockatiel Experience Level: Cockatiel Enthusiast
roxy culver is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Yeah I dont understand my cockatiel why he does these pretend bites to the budgies but wants to be around them but doesn't want them to preen him or give him kisses. (beak kisses)
It's not pretend, it's a warning. It's his way of telling him that they are getting into his personal space. Tiels tend to have a bubble that they don't like invaded by birds they don't know or like. Budgies tend to not know what personal space means. That's why I said to never leave them out unsupervised. His warning could turn into real bites.
Jeep-normal gray cock
Pebbles-whiteface pearl pied hen
Pankakes-PF cinnamon pearl pied cock

Old 01-08-2017, 08:46 PM
Hatching

Cockatiel Information
None

okay I understand. Yeah I would never house them together. After his wing gets better ill just let them talk to each other in their cages then for a few months before allowing them to play together again.

Is it normal for a cockatiel to rapid fire pretend bite his leg? He does it a few hours before bed if anything disturbs him. I can tell he gets cranky in the evenings but is this normal ?

I am already giving him 13 hours of undisturbed sleep, should I give him more?

Also about him drowning himself, is that normal ? I already showed a video of it.

I keep wondering if he is suffering from a disorder to keep trying to hurt himself if he is upset?
Old 01-08-2017, 11:47 PM
Administrator

Cockatiel Information
Number of Cockatiels: 4
roxy culver is on a distinguished road

Tiels get aggitated with something and can act goofy for no reason. He may have an itch. Does he have a leg band on that food by chance? Cranky near bedtime is normal. If he's not acting hormonal, he doesn't need more dark time.

As for the water thing, I have no idea. A vet would know better than me. It's not something I've ever experienced with my own flock.
Jeep-normal gray cock
Pebbles-whiteface pearl pied hen
Pankakes-PF cinnamon pearl pied cock

Old 01-09-2017, 11:49 AM
Hatching

Cockatiel Information
None

no leg band. I guess hes just the goofy and cranky type.

Thanks for all your help!
Old Yesterday, 10:25 PM
Egg

Cockatiel Information
Number of Cockatiels: 2
Oztiel is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozengirl View Post
as someone mentioned to me on another forum that unless a cockatiel was hand raised by humans they will not bond with people.
Don't believe everything people tell you.Of course people are are well intentioned, but nothing beats your own personal experience.

A 11 year old bird I have now homed was bonded with my niece when she first got him-from a pet shop too-so no hand raising.

As she has progressed through high school and now uni,the bird was basically ignored and left to languish alone in his cage with little interaction apart from daily water and pellet change.

Any way a long story made short is that we have been able to coax this cranky little bird out his cage and adapt him to our cockatiel friendly lifestyle.It has taken from August to the present,so patience is needed.

This bird has come from attacking anyone who who placed a hand in his cage -he would bite and draw blood even with my mum feeding him to a stage where he now will sit up my chest and allow him self to be stroked behind the head.

How? Be prepared to put in a lot time and be consistent. Speak to and interact with your bird at every possible opportunity. Cockatiels thrive on companionship and affection.

Some owners I think pass by their bird many times a day but expect the bird to be receptive when they finally acknowledge them and try to handle them after days of ignoring them. Every day and at least an hour a day

A final bit of advice. When you approach the bird make your movements slow.Its embedded in the birds DNA to take flight at quick movement and we humans ,a 100 times larger than the our bird- forget this.If you practice gentle slow movement, the feeling of trust from your bird is developed much quicker.