Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

Cinnamon White Face baby!! Sex?

4K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  BirdCrazyJill 
#1 ·
Hello! This is my 7 week old Cinnamon baby, Cheerio :) He is still living with the breeder until she feels he is ready to be taken home. We (my boyfriend and I) are adopting him and Chacci, his little brother. But he acts like a girl so I wanted to get the opinion of the experienced folks here.

Bird Dish Cuisine Side dish Fawn

Budgie Parakeet Parrot Bird Hamster

His mother is a white-faced cinnamon pearl
His father is a white-faced pied

His personality is very cuddly, sweet, squeaks when he is getting scritches... Chacci is a boy, no doubt about it. But because of how Cheerio acts I sometimes wonder.
My breeder does not want to do a DNA test - she trusts her methods too much and will be giving him a pelvic exam on Tuesday... I know, I know, but she is very convinced... She also showed me his wings and how there are no spots there or something, and I know that method is iffy as well. So there are the genetics. What do you all think?:)
Really hoping he's a he so that we don't have to deal with keeping them from breeding..
Thanks!!!!!

See less See more
#2 ·
It is extremely difficult to tell from coloration at this early in their lives, they don't get adult coloration until their first major molt which is between 6-9 months.

This site helps with mutations and how to tell by coloration and markings what gender the bird may be.

http://www.avianweb.com/cockatielmutations.html

I hope it helps! Remember..... baby cockatiels all mimic females in behavior and looks until they get a bit older.

#3 ·
He's actually a WF cinnamon incomplete pearl pied (he has slight pearling on his wings.) But you wont be able to sex him based on the parents genetics because to get girls that look like this, dad has to be split to all these things, which also gives you the possibility of boys. How do you know his brother is for sure a boy? DNA is the only way to be 100% positive.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.