Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

HELP! Strange behavior!

864 views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  cheery 
#1 ·
Sammy started acting strangely this afternoon; he's actually still doing it as I type this. I took a video and posted on youtube. Could someone take a look and let me know what he's doing and if it's normal?

https://youtu.be/5wvksaky0ks

Thank you so much!
Sara

#3 ·
Oh my goodness, that is so funny! Here I am thinking poor Sammy has lost his mind when really he's just wanting a bit of a bath.

What's funny is, he's hated water since he came home with me. At most, I've been able to get him to walk through a little puddle in a pan. He hates it when I mist him! Maybe now is my chance to turn him into a waterbaby!

Thank you so much, Haimovfids!!!

#5 · (Edited)
You need to find his style. Does he like baths more, or showers? I think he'll like the misting more.

Here's what I do: put him in a smaller cage and take him outside. Don't spray him with such a fine, gentle mist. I've had better experience by getting a little more rough with the water. Don't make it a thick stream, but make it a bit tougher than mist. Cockatiels are dusty birds, and really appreciate a bath about once a week. If will help with preening, itchy pins, and will rejuvenate his feathers.

#9 ·
Oscar stands on the side of the bath and has a shower from the spray off me. He rolls around on the flat edge exactly as your bird is doing, to get water into all the little nooks. He occasionally gets carried away and falls into the the bottom of the bath. I don't force him to have a shower, he will do it at his time of choosing. He is quite stubborn like that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.