Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

Lutinos are stupid?

Tags
lutino
6K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  Dolly 
#1 ·
Upon taking my new lutino baby to the avian vet I was informed by said avian vet that Lutinos are a bit thick. If never heard this before but I'm inclined to believe a bird expert! He said its common with such a heavily mutated bird, and I think he also said something about reduced melanin being the reason? But by then I wasn't really listening I was just busy thinking about my poor lutino! After being told this I've started to think more about it and my lutino does seem to be a bit slower to learn things than my others were at his age. Has anyone heard about this or have experience with their Lutinos in this regard?

#3 ·
I'm on my third lutino (out of four cockatiels). I just don't think such a sweeping statement from the vet can be true of all lutino cockatiels. One of mine was smart (MUCH smarter than my pearl), one was sweet, and one was BOTH smart and sweet. The pearl was a bit thick on the uptake...

#5 ·
I don't have a real problem with my lutino being on the slow side. Might just have to break it to him gently that his plans of being a brain surgeon might not work out. He's figured out how to eat pellets in about 2 weeks though so he can't be that bad!

#9 ·
False statement. Lutinos are great cockatiels too. It's true that their feathers can be weaker and their bald spots to be larger, and they can be more accident-prone, but they are still smart and loveable birds. I certainly wouldn't go as far to say they are stupid.

#10 ·
I'm glad you all feel the same shock I did upon hearing what the vet said. To be honest he wasn't the best. Very rough with my baby, wouldn't answer my questions properly and kinda rude. He also told me pet birds don't get lice or mites, ever. When politely I asked why and why people thought otherwise he got angry and said "do what you want but I'm telling you right now they dont get them". When I asked how to reduce the chance of night frights he said "use your imagination".
He did give me a big discount off the bill but maybe that was just for putting up with his crap.

#12 ·
That is shocking. What a horrible vet! :thumbd:

A night light is your best bet for preventing night frights. I've also heard that playing soft background music works, too. I got a really cheap night light from the supermarket and it has a sensor so if you leave it plugged in, it turns off when it's daytime, and turns on as soon as it starts to get dark. Really convenient! :)

#15 ·
My advice, new vet!

Lutinos are not stupid. Birds can get mites and night lights are a major reduction for night frights.

I'm 17 and I have more bird smarts than him. I would at least hope he reads basic bird info on the internet. Bare minimum. And to boot, he was rough with your tiel.

Trust me, you will learn more here than from him ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.