Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

Can a cage be too big?

6K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  rodenticide 
#1 ·
I always hear buy the largest cage you can afford. But how much room do small to medium size birds really need? I see my friends cockatiels in cages that are 18"x 18" and their birds are very happy. They have numerous perches, toys, a ladder, and a fair amount of time outside of the cage during the day. There were a couple of times when I had pretty large cages and my birds stayed/played in a few favorite spots and moved around to get to food and water. That is about it. They did not use all of the cage space the majority of the time. It really just became a space hog in my living room and more cleaning then necessary.

#3 ·
At times, I feel the same way. My two are out of the cage all day long. They basically go in just to eat and sleep. However, it is handy when I have to be out most of the day and I don't feel good about leaving them alone in the house to roam around unsupervised. Then I know they won't be bored in the cage as they have plenty of space. It is a hassle to clean though.

#4 ·
Nope, definitely not....the more space the better! But most commercially available LARGE cages have bar spacing that is too wide for cockatiels. Really wish cage manufacturers would start offering large cages with 1/2" bar spacing (and making them wider than they are tall, while they're at it).

(By the way, Hellena -- your sig pic is absolutely massive. If you'd like I can resize it for you. :))

#5 ·
good points. I have an extra cage, a very nice one. I was thinking of putting my english budgie in it. It measures 18" w x 28: L x 32" H. I'm thinking way to big....or what a lucky bird. I feel I might regret selling it but can't stand to have such a nice cage not being used. My tiels do not need it but my budgie could use a bigger cage. He would be like an ant in it. Hmmmm....

#7 ·
So I just put my english budgie in there after I outfitted for him. I must say it's impressive for the little guy! I think he may be in shock at the size right now though. I think he's going to love it. Can't wait to see him enjoying it tomorrow.

#9 ·
Well my budgie sure is enjoying it, he has been very active. Glad I didn't sell it after I went down to two tiels. My tiels have a great cage too, It's a square shape. I also have one that is 18" by 18", and is 36" high. Skeptical about that one though but they do like it. I prefer cages that have a large square shape. Seems more useful for them.

#10 ·
I have mine in a cage that is 39x39x55 and I think it's to big! they never want to come out. They have everything they need in there and are very comfortable. I leave the door open and they wont come out. I am having a hard time training them because of this. I should have put them in a small cage until they were trained then moved them to the big one.

#11 ·
Excellent point and that is true. I have heard this from several people before. I would try a smaller cage and keep the larger one, put it aside. Use the smaller one until they get tamed down, if it's possible. Maybe they are cage bound?

#13 ·
Mine are in this cage when they're downstairs aka playtime xD but if they have to be shut in Sam goes in a small cage because they're trying to mate with her.
http://www.littlepetwarehouse.co.uk/hamberley-single-metal-large-cage-p-12607.html

They HATE being shut in the cage...if the cage door is open they don't mind but if you shut it they want out

They sleep in this one upstairs and Sam sleeps on top (I know thats debatable but the room is light enough and pretty much soundproof so the only shadows in there will be caused by me or them) I got this one for £30 bargain with delivery :D

http://scarlettsparrotessentials.co.uk/montana_san_remo_jybyq6m

#14 ·
Each rat needs 2 cubic feet space for their proper body movement. The size depends on rats number. For example, you you have two rats, then minimum 4 cubic feet space is required to house them. Extra space is needed for extra toys and tunnels. I minimum 5-6 cubic feet space is essential to keep them busy in playing and moving around the cage. For more information related to rat cage, you can visit this page.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.