Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

Reg leaving "Cutie" at my Friend's place.

1K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  arnabsri 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi Folks,
I will be leaving for my native for 10 days as my ganny is seriously ill:(. So, with a heavy heart i have to leave "CUTIE" with my friend's place for 10 days as my native is 38 hours journey in Train from where i am staying:(.

Sorry for the Long post.:(

So, can you please let me know whom to choose between the two:

1. There is one family who have 36 birds with them. Birds are- Flinches,cockatiels, budgies. but all are wild and they are very excited to take CUTIE as they dont have any handtamed bird yet but they are planning to get an african grey.They showed me a new T stand which they got for the african grey they would buy and said that CUTIE can use it First.

But i have a question here will CUTIE get any contagious disease from the other birds if she is not in their cage also and stays at a distance from them as the birds looked healthy and the place looked clean still?

Here, Advantage i am thinking is that cutie will not be afraid as there will be other birds whom she can see and she will get special attention as she is tamed..:)

2. The second family is a husband wife who has experience with Birds like Indian Ring neck(Tamed) and untamed Budgies. At present they dont have any birds, But they are very eager to take care of CUTIE for those 10 days.

Advantage here is ..as no birds are there so contagious disease from other birds risk is not present here.
BUT they will be new for CUTIE and i am not sure how CUTIE will react in their house..NEW house..New environment,..

Please provide your suggestions as i am really confused whom to keep CUTIE with as there is advantage and disadvantage in both:(:eek::rolleyes:
Any suggestions will be really:thumbu: helpful for my lil kido

I have also provided them the below mail, Please let meknow if i should add any thing more:

We will bring “Cutie” to your place on 7th April, Wednesday .I will be on leave from 8th -17th april. I will bring him back on 18th april morning.
Cutie’s routine:
• Morning breakfast(6-8am): he eats kellog’s cornflakes 3-4 piece from my hand along with his seed food in his bowl.
• (8am-10am)Then he usually sits outside with us on terrace.. we give him shower with his spray bottle. Clean his cage , make him sit in sunlight for 15-20 mins so that his wings dries off. (If he stretches his wings out during shower that means he is loving it he wants you to shower him more. i will show u how to do it once we meet. so that water does not enter his ears else he may fall ill.
• After 10 when we come to offc.. he sleeps (its his sleeping time for next 10 hrs)..but if I am dere in room he plays with my hand.. he will eat fruits, maggie , biscuit if I am having anything…and will ask for petting his head..and he will sleep on my hand or play with his toys.. then sleep till 1-2 pm( on holidays and weekends)..
• During LUNCH I eat beside him… I give him roti/rice, his seeds, egg (Once a day)and some puffed rice
• Then he sleeps till 7-8pm
• Then he will start palying for sometime till dinner comes.
• Dinner- again roti with vitamin drop(Bird plus) first he takes it from my hand, then seeds and roti with boiled egg yolk topping again from his bowl.
• After dinner he sleeps on his own.. just cover one side of the cage he will go under it and sleep while looking at you beside him..
• Please keep him always in the room where you are like if you are watching tv, eating..doing other work..sleeping etc. except kitchen and washroom.. as the fumes are fatal for him. He will scream only when he is unable to see u . He is really scared of darkness so please don’t put off the light or else he will start jumping inside the cage due to night fright and may hurt himself.

Note: Please let him sleep for at least 10 -12 hrs a day else he will be little grumpy..but he never bites…just open his mouth and will “hiss “ at you with his crest down…I hiss at him back.. and he gives confused look loves to sleep a lot. He is very friendly..so may sleep on your hand itself…. As, it is summer time please give him shower daily .

Foods to be avoided( Please ask me or Arnab before giving any new food which is not mentioned in the below chart)
• Avocardo fruit
• Uncooked rice,potato
• Apple seeds
• Sugary products like cake,sweets ,choclates etc.
• Oily foods like puri, paratha,paneer,soup,any type of curries,
• Chicken ,meat
• Bevereages like tea, coffee
• Icecream
• Chips
• Any other berries ,tomato ,lemon , citrus fruits.
• Sea food like – prawn, shrimp

Foods that can be given

• Pomengrate fruit
• ROTI/chapati(Baked)
• Roti with pomengrate juice smeared
• Roti with egg yolk smeared
• Apple (Without seeds)
• Boiled egg white (Once a day)
• Puffed rice(Small amount) -4-5 times a week
• Cooked steamed rice( twice a week )small amount
• Maggie noodles cooked(Without masala)-favorite food
• Carrot, beans cut in small pieces
• Sprouts- mung,chana
• Brown bread in small portion without any types of sauce,mayonese
• Broccoli
• Basil leaves
• Lettuce leaves
• Baby Corn boiled (favorite)
• Chowmin - less spicy- once a week in small amount just 1-2 threads.
• Plain boiled pasta
• Brown bread toasted/baked in small amount without mayonnaise/butter.

I will provide you his cornflakes, biscuits, seed food , medicines etc whatever he takes .Please do let me know if you have any queries.
Regards,
Cutie's Mom.

See less See more
#3 ·
Hi eduardo,
Thanks for the reply:)Everybody who sees Cutie says so that he is a lucky bird.But i feel we all are lucky to have such lovely babies with us. I am so happy that i am able to give my best care to Cutie.

#4 ·
Cutie

Wow, I agree, Cutie has an amzing owner, so lucky to have someone like you who is so obviously concerned that she gets the best care! I think it would be better to let the second couple bird-sit for you. As Eduardo said, it seems they would spend more personal time with her. And, with so many birds (in the first home) it would be more likely to come in contact with some "germ."
So sorry to hear about your ganny. My thoughts and prayers will be with you as you travel to visit her.

#5 ·
Thanks Janalee,I too agree with you as the family with birds get birds from breeder directly at whole sale rate..they dont even quarrentine those birds.:(

Hope he stays happily with that couple.

I am very scared about how Cutie will react to new place with new people.
I am not sure how to make him understand that i will return in Few days:( and take him back. What if he remains sad and upset after i leave.

#9 ·
Cutie

I don't think you need to be to concerned about that. Yes, I think they do miss us, but they can adapt to where they are. I have left Bennie for a few days with different people and he seems fine. It is funny, though, when I come home he sometimes is a little "cool" towards me, like "How dare you leave me?" But he soon warms up again. I really think it bothers us as owners more than it bothers them.

#11 ·
I also agree with leaving her with the couple with no birds. Because she is used to being the only bird, lots of other birds around may seem overwhelming to her to suddenly be in a boisterous crowd. Plus, as others have said, there is always the risk of her getting something from one of the others.

We have only ever left Joey with my mom, in our home, while away. I can't speak from experience about how she will do with people she doesn't know, but I'd imagine if they are calm and loving toward her, she will be fine.

My heart is with you, and your ganny. Prayers for a speedy recovery.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.