Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

Post Pictures of DIY Toys you have made!

353K views 915 replies 195 participants last post by  Chipper The Cockatiel <: 
#1 ·
We thought it would be great to see other peoples pictures of DIY toys that they have made! There have been many fantastic ideas and pictures for toys posted around this forum- so add your DIY toys to here and then we will have a great collection of ideas!:)
Here a a few pictures of the toys the kids and I have made. :eek: We got the idea of the Baby Disco from The Parrot Shop and from Bea's post and then added the paper sticks as we didnt have anything else!:p The Paper Stick Crazy Ball was my childrens idea and it is the favourite one for Banjo! :D He really enjoys it and he likes sitting on his little balcony of his penthouse to have a play and a nibble! We just pushed the little paper sticks through two holes and it is a tight fit so they stay tightly in the ball and dont fall out and we attached the toy to the balcony with lether thonging as
The last one looks like a tiolet roll made with the till rolls from The Parrot Shop, it is not really set up well but the kids were impatient to give Banjo everything! He has not been near it yet so we will rwethink the idea!?

See less See more
#64 ·
I'm going to go to Michael's arts and crafts which sells all types of stuff like that- they have alot of uncoated materials etc..I'd still wash them and boil them to be on the safe side though.
I find that store to be way overpriced. Although i'd rather be way overpriced and know what i'm getting. Gosh, still havn't posted how to get rope over wire. Should do that now. upload the pics for it.

#65 ·
Alright here we go.

How to put rope on wire

(Not the best quality picutres and the video is horrible but i hope you get the idea. I droped the camera in the end.)

To start, get your rope. I used a dyed piece of yellow that is actually a birdy high way and i didn't need wire in so its just to show off.

Everyone who used rope knows if you twist it the Opposite way it opens up some so do that so you can stick some wire in.

allow the rope to twist back over the wire again. Should look something like this after

Now watch this video.
http://s201.photobucket.com/albums/aa143/Flockphotos/other/?action=view&current=PB121884.flv

I'm sorry, its really bad but i hope you get the idea. It was hard to do alone. I ended up droping the camera. I'll get a new one made showing how to go the whole way though doing this soon. If i don't get it up in the next few days some one pm me and remind me.

#67 ·
Because i'm broke at the moment, i'm saving money and making the birdies xmas pressies this year. ;) I think they'll have more fun with my toys anyway, most of the affordable ones from pet shops or online aren't that exciting.

Anyway, i was hard at work all afternoon, and here are the toys which will be wrapped and put under the pets little xmas tree.

:D I hope they like them!

#71 ·
#73 ·
hehe.... Babi, Minnie is still pink from the cuttlebone it doesn't wash out that easily :)

What about beads from the dollar store would they be any good to use? they opened a huge dollar store near me and I was in looking at the craft stuff and they had lots of neat little beads etc....

#78 ·
Wondering if the colored/died wood is for YOUR likings, or theirs? Mind have never really shown a preferance over colors.

Here's some toys I made. I use them for the birds, and the gerbils. (not the same toy, just the same style) The loofa things are "crispy chews" You think I could use an actual loofa? The birds like the little tiny cat bells the best.

#80 ·
Very nice. I've got to get some wood chunks from school again. I do wood working and get access to a lot of wood thus the birds have lots of chew toys and so does the rabbit. I get to use big and scary ( very scary might i add) saws, drill, jig saw(?). So far in my firat year i only managed one seriouse cut that the teacher never found out about lol.

I should go out to the pet store and see what i can get soon. Always stuff out there.

#81 ·
I wish I had a drill. I saw some tooth brushes with a hole drilled in them, a piece of string and some pony beads. Looked interesting. Thought I might try it.

I find bits of Crispy Chews in their water dish... :p But the small bits in the picture- I cut each chew in quarters so I could make more toys. Between 5 gerbil tanks, and a bird cage... I went sparingly! lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.