Cockatiel Articles

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Cockatiels Forums > Cockatiels > Your Cockatiels Health

Notices

Your Cockatiels Health Ask questions about your cockatiels health here.

Closed Thread

Old 02-08-2017, 08:36 PM
Egg

Cockatiel Information
None
tomypasta is on a distinguished road
Default Cockatiels Poop

Hi forum Just wondering if anyone would know why my cockatiels (Sandy) poop has urine and feces in it but no urates? Sometimes it just all water. He has been to a avian vette and his poop was tested and she says she doesnt see anything. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2017, 09:07 PM
Administrator

Cockatiel Information
Number of Cockatiels: 4
Cockatiel Experience Level: Cockatiel Enthusiast
roxy culver is on a distinguished road

Pictures of the poop would help.
Jeep-normal gray cock
Pebbles-whiteface pearl pied hen
Pankakes-PF cinnamon pearl pied cock

Old 02-09-2017, 09:41 AM
Egg

Cockatiel Information
None
Default Sandys Poop

Hi forum Just wondering if anyone would know why my cockatiels (Sandy) poop has urine and feces in it but no urates? Sometimes it just all water. He has been to a avian vette and his poop was tested and she says she doesnt see anything. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2017-02-02 11.35am (2).jpg (38.7 KB, 18 views)

Last edited by tomypasta; 02-09-2017 at 09:45 AM..

Old 02-09-2017, 10:02 AM
Fledging

Cockatiel Information
Number of Cockatiels: 14
devilangel09 is on a distinguished road

Does he drink alot of water how's his food intake what else other than seed do you feed

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Old 02-09-2017, 10:07 AM
Egg

Cockatiel Information
None

the last 7 days he has been on a seed and pellet ( doesn't eat much pellets just plays with them) only diet. B4 that he has always been a good eater and eats most everything we give him. peas, corn, brocolli, lettuce, bread, corn flakes, goldfish LOL, pretty mush everything. The vette said take him off everything and just give the seeds and pellets for a week and see. Its been 7 days now and We see no improvement.
How does the poop look to you?
Old 02-09-2017, 05:47 PM
Egg

Cockatiel Information
None

He doesnt drink too much water i would say normal amout
Old 02-15-2017, 05:40 PM
Chick

Cockatiel Information
Number of Cockatiels: 1
Cockatiel Experience Level: Cockatiel Lover
galactickiwi is on a distinguished road

first off, do not give your bird anything like bread. especially goldfish, those aren't even good for humans. birds can't digest bread and because they already have alot of yeast in their stomachs, it can cause them to get sick. and not all lettuce is fine for birds either, iceberg lettuce and cabbage are bad for them, but usually dark greens like spinach are fine (but again, not all are, there's a lot of useful lists out there that will tell you good and bad 'table foods' like types of lettuce)
also corn flakes are bad. don't go feeding your bird snack food. plain cheerios are fine occasionally, but that's about it.

also feeding your bird a lot of food with high water content will cause watery poop. broccoli is pretty good for birds, but a lot of veggies tend to have a fairly high water content, so if you feed them a lot they'll have watery poop. not necessarily a bad thing, it goes back to normal after a while. but its a reason why you should avoid giving them a ton of food with high water content all the time, regularly is fine but don't base their whole diet off of it if there's that much water in it, try to balance it out.

though if you say it's been 7 days, that sounds strange to me. keep a close eye on the amount of water she drinks and the amount of food she eats, and also start keeping a record of her weight every week. try to weigh her at the same time of day when you do weigh her. if theres any substantial weight loss, that's a concern you need to bring up with your vet.
Old 02-15-2017, 05:51 PM
Egg

Cockatiel Information
None

galactickiwi thanks for your reply. I should note that we got sandy about a year ago and when we got her she was the same way. Also when we got her she was on a diet from the prior owner of only harrison pellets and nutriberries and her poop was the same watery mess. She has been to 2 vets and they all say the same thing dont give her watery food but they are not listening to the fact that when we got her she was only eating harrisons pelets and nutriberries and still had the same poop. When we got her she was 96 grams and and i have been weighing her from time to time. She went up to as high as 114 grams and she is now 101 grams. I line the bottom of her cage with paper and after several hours the paper is all wet. She acts and seems fine in all other ways but the wet pooping is very messy on her cage and everywhere else. We have another cockatiel and he poops like a normal bird. Thanks for your input. Sandy has been off all table food since a week b4 I posted this tread and there is no difference in her poop.
Old 02-16-2017, 01:14 AM
Administrator

Cockatiel Information
Number of Cockatiels: 4
roxy culver is on a distinguished road

Quote:
first off, do not give your bird anything like bread. especially goldfish, those aren't even good for humans. birds can't digest bread and because they already have alot of yeast in their stomachs, it can cause them to get sick. and not all lettuce is fine for birds either, iceberg lettuce and cabbage are bad for them, but usually dark greens like spinach are fine (but again, not all are, there's a lot of useful lists out there that will tell you good and bad 'table foods' like types of lettuce)
also corn flakes are bad. don't go feeding your bird snack food. plain cheerios are fine occasionally, but that's about it.
So we actually recommend birdy bread quite frequently to get birds to try new foods. In small amounts, it's definitely not harmful. While not containing much nutrition content, iceberg lettuce is not harmful to birds. http://talkcockatiels.com/showthread.php?t=536 this sticky has info on foods that are OK for tiels.

http://talkcockatiels.com/showthread.php?t=10100 this sticky has more info on abnormal droppings.
Jeep-normal gray cock
Pebbles-whiteface pearl pied hen
Pankakes-PF cinnamon pearl pied cock

Old 02-16-2017, 11:05 AM
Hatching

Cockatiel Information
Number of Cockatiels: 1
Cockatiel Experience Level: Cockatiel Lover
chrissy055 is on a distinguished road

Hello,
My Ava is 5 months old and we had the same concern. Her poops are always watery. Our vet also tested it and said she is fine. I do know that Ava does tend to drink a lot of water and our vet said since she is young its okay for now but we will need to keep an eye on her when she gets older. The other posts are correct that some foods have high water content that can do that. I feel like once Ava is out with me for awhile and hasn't had any water, her poops go back to normal. When you have Sandy out with you for awhile do her poops go back to normal after an hour?
Closed Thread