Weird chirping some times when we pet him... What's that mean? - Talk Cockatiels Forums

User Menu
Forum Home
Cockatiel Gallery
Members List
Today's Posts
Register now!
Search

Advanced Search
Forums
Sticky Library

Cockatiel Talk

Cockatiel Housing/Toys

Cockatiel Pictures

Cockatiel Videos

Cockatiel Health

Food & Nutrition

Training & Bonding

Cockatiel Breeding

Mutations & Genetics

Cockatiel Articles

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Cockatiels Forums > Cockatiels > Cockatiel Talk

Notices

Cockatiel Talk Talk about anything cockatiel related here.

Old 03-12-2017, 05:43 PM
Egg

Cockatiel Information
None
Formhault is on a distinguished road
Default Weird chirping some times when we pet him... What's that mean?

Hello guys!

We've had this male cockatiel for almost two months now. Whenever we try to pet him on the back (but not only then), he makes a noise which we have a hard time understanding what could mean. Is he angry, is he scared... is he asking for more? Perhaps you could help us.

So, I've made a video and uploaded it on YouTube. Please, check it out and chime in!

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2017, 05:48 PM
Administrator

Cockatiel Information
Number of Cockatiels: 4
Cockatiel Experience Level: Cockatiel Enthusiast
roxy culver is on a distinguished road

That means no. First, you never want to pet a tiel on the back, that's how you stimulate breeding. A male will step up on a hen's back to mate, scratching or touching a tiel back there can simulate this.

Biting is the only way a tiel can say no. When the bird is screaming and nipping at you, that's a definite no. It looks like the tiel likes the neck scratches but not anything else so I would stick to just the neck scratches.
Jeep-normal gray cock
Pebbles-whiteface pearl pied hen
Pankakes-PF cinnamon pearl pied cock

Old 03-12-2017, 05:56 PM
Egg

Cockatiel Information
None

I see.

He doesn't "say no" when we pet him on the back. I sort of thought he may not like it when we scratch his back, but he starts to "complain" basically out of nowhere some times. Like, say, we're scratching him on his head (which he seems to like very much - he bows his head in expectation usually), and a few seconds later (or if we stop petting him for a brief time) he just "goes at it" (like you see in the beginning of the video). In the beginning of the video, we didn't scratch his back or anything - he just started to complain out of nowhere, we were just petting his head (which, again, he likes). Perhaps he "had enough" all the sudden?

:/

Old 03-12-2017, 07:06 PM
Super Tiel

Cockatiel Information
Number of Cockatiels: 14
Cockatiel Experience Level: Cockatiel Breeder
tielfan is on a distinguished road

Cockatiels only preen each other on the head and neck, and that's usually the only place that they like to be petted. Petting a bird on the back is very sexually stimulating for a hen but may or may not be a problem with a male. But even if it doesn't turn them on, they usually don't enjoy it and will only tolerate it at best.

The noise indicates that something is happening that the bird doesn't like. Either you're doing something he doesn't want, or you're not doing something that he DOES want. And sometimes we can't figure out what the bird is complaining about! He's complaining about something though, and in many cases it's not hard to figure out what it is.

All my posts and all photos belonging to me are copyrighted by me. All rights reserved.

My website: http://www.littlefeatheredbuddies.com/
Old 03-12-2017, 07:46 PM
Egg

Cockatiel Information
None

Thanks, @tielfan.

Okay, no more petting him on the back. I'll stick to the head and neck. It's weird, though. One time, he was on my shoulder and I was petting him on the head. I had to stop doing it for a few seconds, then when I wanted to resume, he was nagging at me. But 5 seconds later, he bowed his head again (which means he wants to be petted, we figured).

I guess he's just whining at times.

But okay, no more petting on the back. I also tried to pet his belly a few times (like, the underside of his wings). He doesn't say anything, he just moves away (so it's clear that he doesn't really like it).

What is worrying us was the fact that he seems to be complaining even when we're doing something that he likes (head / neck petting). But, as I said earlier, I think he's just nagging. Because, you know, he's a bird so he doesn't think that much, I guess? Lol.

Some times, when he's getting annoying, we just grab him & throw him at the cage. He catches flight mid-distance, then lands on the cage. But 10 seconds later, he flyes back at us, landing on my head or my girlfriend's. And that's annoying as ****, especially when you're trying to do stuff around the house and keep him out at the same time, but all he wants is your hair. But throwing him back to the cage doesn't seem to bother him - he comes back even 15 times if your hair is what he really wants at the time. It's like one of the cats my parents own. No matter how many times you slap him around, he'll still come back to the kitchen door if you cook meat.

Last edited by Formhault; 03-12-2017 at 07:49 PM..
Old 03-12-2017, 08:47 PM
Super Tiel

Cockatiel Information
Number of Cockatiels: 14
tielfan is on a distinguished road

Birds are quirky, and what they want at one particular moment might be the exact opposite of what they wanted the moment before and what they're going to want in the next moment. That's why we get cartoons like the one below. They complain even a lot even when it's another bird doing the head preening.

All my posts and all photos belonging to me are copyrighted by me. All rights reserved.

My website: http://www.littlefeatheredbuddies.com/
Old 03-13-2017, 06:08 AM
Egg

Cockatiel Information
None

I see. So it's something normal. Before I posted this thread, we were worrying there may be something wrong with our cockatiel, like, say, he got upset / depressed for not being out of the cage 24/7 or whatever reason. Glad to know it's just him nagging around.

Speaking of being out of the cage... He's been out off and on. Yesterday, for example, he was out for a total of 3 hours. Today, he won't be out at all - we just don't have time for him, as we'll be away most of the time.

Yesterday, as we got him back into the cage (it was 10 PM), he proceeded to sit on a stick, right next to the edge of the cage, kinda looking at us. He was all puffed up (I guess the word is miffed?), chirping softly every once in a while (like "hey! get me out maybe, please?", I guess). You know what I'm talking about?
Old 03-13-2017, 05:21 PM
Hatching

Cockatiel Information
Number of Cockatiels: 6
Fran.bath89 is on a distinguished road

The picture tielfan has posted is spot on for tiels! They are little nutters! I don't think they even know what they want lol
Canaries: 1 yellow, 1 brown/orange, 1 brown/yellow, 1 silver, 2 yellow dimorphic
Zebra finches: 1 white, 1 black cheeked, 1 normal, 1 fawn
Chinese painted quail: 1 normal, 1 white, 1 heavy pied
Diamond dove: 2 normal, 1 pied, 1 white
Old 03-15-2017, 04:40 PM
Egg

Cockatiel Information
None

I see. Well, okay. Thank you! So it's nothing wrong with my tiel

Another aspect is worrying us right now. Some times, he appears to be very... "furious". He would fly across the room, briefly land on my head or my girlfriend's, and not let us pet him for more than a second at a time. Then, he would fly away, yelling. I tried to catch him (something that is usually a quite easy task), but chased him around for more than 2 minutes.

Are tiels known for being "unstable" in that regard? I would assume so, given their erratic pet me / STOP behaviour...
Old 03-15-2017, 06:29 PM
Administrator

Cockatiel Information
Number of Cockatiels: 4
Cockatiel Experience Level: Cockatiel Enthusiast
roxy culver is on a distinguished road

Sounds like the grouchy teenage stage. Male tiels go through this and they are just grumps about everything. I've never heard of a hen going through it but that doesn't mean they can't.
Jeep-normal gray cock
Pebbles-whiteface pearl pied hen
Pankakes-PF cinnamon pearl pied cock