Cockatiel Articles

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Cockatiels Forums > Cockatiels > Your Cockatiels Health

Notices

Your Cockatiels Health Ask questions about your cockatiels health here.

Closed Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 10:06 PM
Hatching

Cockatiel Information
Number of Cockatiels: 2
Cockatiel Experience Level: Cockatiel Lover
jessnry is on a distinguished road
Default Boo's regurgitating + lost some weight??

Hi everyone!

I have a question about my 9 mo old female tiel Boo. She was outside with her brother Sokka this afternoon for a few hours while we worked in the garden today. At one point when I checked on them, she suddenly started doing the head-bob, regurgitated seeds, and flung them everywhere! She's never done this before.

I brought the birds back inside, but this regurgitating continued over the next couple of hours. I gave her some millet -- she ate it like she was starving. I decided to weigh her just in case. She's lost about 4 grams since the last time I weighed her (only a couple days ago). Sokka is totally fine. Could Boo's crop be blocked by something? It's been a few hours since Boo stopped throwing up like that. She's eaten some, drank plenty of water, and is playing like she normally does.

Should we be worried? Is a drop in weight like that normal for any reason? What should we be doing in the meantime? Feed her more millet, or would soft foods like quinoa and egg be better? Lots of questions, sorry Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2011, 10:21 PM
Super Tiel

Cockatiel Information
MeanneyFids is on a distinguished road

the weight loss and vomitting is not good together. she could be sick. i would get her to the vet if you can. i had a budgie who vomitted and he ended up with an infection and was put on medication

Those Meanney Fids FB Page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Those-...284656?fref=ts
Photo Gallery Project: http://s1282.photobucket.com/user/Me...?sort=3&page=1

All posts and photos of mine posted here are copyrighted by Casey Meanney.
Old 03-25-2011, 10:23 PM
Super Tiel

Cockatiel Information
Number of Cockatiels: 1
xxxSpikexxx is on a distinguished road

You should keep her warm and feed her anything she will eat. I would make an appointment with an Avian vet ASAP. She has lost too much weight. Also keep any eye on her to make sure she is drinking aswell. A vet is a must, good luck.
Old 03-25-2011, 10:37 PM
Hatching

Cockatiel Information

Thank you so much for the quick replies! I thought that weight loss seemed strange... from 78g to 74g in two days

We've turned on a space heater near Boo's cage and gave her more millet. She's more lively now (hanging upside down to play with a toy at the moment lol). Unfortunately, it's the weekend, and our avian vet won't be in till monday or tuesday. I know of some emergency clincs that may have an avian vet on site, but I'd rather Boo visit her usual vet, if possible. We'll be keeping her warm and watching closely in the meantime.

Thanks again for the advice! these birds sure have a way to get us worried!
Old 03-26-2011, 12:05 AM
Super Moderator

Cockatiel Information
Number of Cockatiels: 27
Cockatiel Experience Level: Cockatiel Owner
Renae is on a distinguished road

It could possibly be a bacterial infection, and if it is anything like this, or if it is, it needs to be taken seriously.

Theo, one of my Cockatiels, started vomiting everywhere one morning and lost a lot of weight (she lost at least 54 grams), turned out to be a bacterial infection, had I not taken her in and got her seen and given antibiotics, she likely wouldn’t have made it.
BioRileyMishkaRioFreddyEmmit
ShilohZuesSnickersObiShiroLarryCharlie

Plus:
x 3 Dogs, x 1 Rabbit, x 5 Cats, x 9 Horses

Old 03-26-2011, 11:48 AM
Hatching

Cockatiel Information

54 grams?? yowza My last cockatiel, Horseshoe, had started vomiting as well -- and I lost her within days. But Boo was definitely regurgitating (from the crop), not vomiting (from the stomach).

Anyway, some good news! Boo's been eating and hasn't regurgitated at all. Her droppings are back to normal as well. Tried to weigh her again this morning -- she would have none of it! Will try again soon. We're keeping it nice and warm in the room, which both birds seem to enjoy.
Old 03-26-2011, 08:46 PM
Adult

Cockatiel Information
Number of Cockatiels: 30
Cockatiel Experience Level: Cockatiel Enthusiast
Mentha is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessnry View Post
54 grams?? yowza My last cockatiel, Horseshoe, had started vomiting as well
Is your bird in the same cage as the last bird? If so you should probably do a complete scrub and disinfect It's quite possible that whatever your bird has has been brooding at your house for some time and has infected your bird.

Owned by umpteen rabbits, 1 cat, 1 dog, 2 African Grays, 2 Green Cheek Conures, 21 cockatiels, 10 ringneck doves, 1 husband, & 3 children.
Old 03-27-2011, 08:47 PM
Hatching

Cockatiel Information

Aw, thanks for your concern

Though Boo has her own new cage, her brother Sokka is in Horseshoe's old cage. But I scrubbed that and everything else in that room (including the walls -- I was paranoid about a lingering infection) with a bleach solution a good 4 or 5 weeks before acquiring a new bird, so I don't think the chances of a nasty bacteria surviving are very high.

Not sure what was wrong with Boo -- maybe she swallowed a bit of wood? She loves chewing on sticks... At any rate, I'm very relieved to say that she is much better ! A couple days of quiet cage and playstand time with the heat cranked up has her back at almost 100%. She's gaining weight almost as fast as she lost it -- back at almost 76g last night.

We'll keep a close eye on her and Sokka until we're sure Boo is maintaining her normal weight, but I think that she managed to expel whatever yuck that was stuck in her crop during all that regurgitating.
Old 03-28-2011, 01:18 AM
Adult

Cockatiel Information
Number of Cockatiels: 30
Cockatiel Experience Level: Cockatiel Enthusiast
Mentha is on a distinguished road

Bleach isn't all that reliable unless you soak something in it for at least 15-30 minutes depending upon the bacteria or virus.

Owned by umpteen rabbits, 1 cat, 1 dog, 2 African Grays, 2 Green Cheek Conures, 21 cockatiels, 10 ringneck doves, 1 husband, & 3 children.
Old 03-29-2011, 12:03 AM
Hatching

Cockatiel Information

Woa, I didn't realize that it took up to 30min of soaking to kill all germs in bleach -- thanks that's good to know...

Well I couldn't soak the walls of the room or the entire cage of course, but I did soak the pull-out tray and what perches I decided to keep. Everything was dried and then stored for a month before I got Sokka, and that was 6 months ago... was that enough?? We were never positive about what happened to Horseshoe (cancer was suspected). But we took the little ones to see the avian vet after we had them for a month, and they both got a clean bill of health.

Anyway, I'm happy to say that Boo is at 78g for the second night in a row. Right where she should be! But I think a major cleaning spree is in order, just in case
Closed Thread