Ok so my other pair Spike and Tillie are sitting on infertile eggs. This is there first 3 eggs. He is about 6 and she is 2 years old. I caught them mating and 3 days later she laid the first. It's been about 10 days from the last egg. Can I remove them and hope they'll start again or should I wait? I think she laid to soon.
I usually give my pair 28 days to sit on the eggs before i remove infertile, this allows them to have a short break, and sometimes they up and abandon them before then, but like you said this is thier first clutch, so just remember no matter when you pull the eggs that when they lay more that should be their last for the season or at least 8 months, hope this helps.
I am just a little frustrated. I really want babies from this pair and he is my favourite. I am like a kid at Christmas and don't want to wait. lol. I'll wait a few more days and see if they abandons them.
hun if you pull the eggs early make sure you put calcium in their water, it shouldnt cause to much dificulty, i have pairs thatt as soon as the chicks turn 12 days old there already laying again cause they know im pulling the chicks. i wish you the best of luck
Well they have good calcium and light. I was wondering how many infertile clutches was ok. Have you ever had a pair have a couple infertile clutches and then have fertile eggs and babies? Is this normal or not?
Well one of my other virgin pairs are on a second clutch of 6 infertile eggs. I am just leaving them alone on the eggs. I could see that the male was falling off and failing at mating so I was not surprised.
I don't mean to butt in on this chat but I have a question that relates....this is my second clutch (one last spring one this) I Don't think they are fertile. From all I have read and pictures I have seen they are not. I was wondering the same thing. He is A 4 years old, she is 2 1/2. I know last year she was to young. could it still be to soon? They are both very protective of the clutch...they have been sitting day and night for 9 days last one laid on the 21st. To soon to tell? should I wait and check again? Should I take the eggs let them try again or just leave them? Don't have much experience but was part of the raising of Squawk (AKA Bird lol) watched him hatch, did feedings ect... and Was really looking forward to adding to our family