Cockatiel Articles

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Cockatiels Forums > Cockatiels > Cockatiel Talk

Notices

Cockatiel Talk Talk about anything cockatiel related here.

Closed Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 05:35 AM
Hatching

Cockatiel Information
Number of Cockatiels: 1
Cockatiel Experience Level: Cockatiel Lover
ChrisAbbot is on a distinguished road
Default Returned my little girl :(

After a week long argument(most of it over the phone) with my folks, I returned my 'tiel to the pet shop this morning because they found out that you can contract Psittacosis and Meningitis from them. I'm gonna miss her
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2012, 05:59 AM
Fledging

Cockatiel Information
Number of Cockatiels: 2
Cockatiel Experience Level: Cockatiel Owner
resalat_hasan is on a distinguished road

So sad.....
Old 06-05-2012, 06:23 AM
Hatching

Cockatiel Information
baboo is on a distinguished road

that's sad.Its very very rare that you can get sick from your tiel.. And if they are Just make sure the cage is cleaned and you wash your hands often. But like I say its quite rare.
Old 06-05-2012, 09:58 AM
Super Tiel

Cockatiel Information
None
bjknight93 is on a distinguished road
Unhappy

Well first, psittacosis is very rare. Unless you live in Texas (where I am) then I wouldn't worry about it. Texas had an outbreak in chain petstores 7 years ago so this is the only place I would even consider a bird having it. I've had one bird with it, who died the first month I had her and infected my other bird. It was my fault for getting her from a flea market though. If you get your bird from a reputable place you have very little to worry about. I was also treated for it because I had flu-like symptoms, but we don't know if I actually had it...they treated me for both strep throat and psittacosis.

My new bird is showing some respiratory issues so we're treating her for it, but just as a precaution. We don't know if she is infected with psittacosis.

Honestly, I think you would know your bird had the disease before she infected you with it. The main thing you'll notice is weight loss, sneezing, tail bobbing, and crusty nares. And it's treatable in both birds and humans.

Anyway, sorry you had to get rid of her; I don't think you should have.
Old 06-05-2012, 10:09 AM
Hatching

Cockatiel Information
New2Cockatiels is on a distinguished road

I thought an avian vet could do bloodwork to check? I am sorry you had to take her back!
Old 06-05-2012, 11:26 AM
Adult

Cockatiel Information
Annie is on a distinguished road

Hi,

I'm so sorry. However, as everyone else said, it is rare and it would be fine as long as you keep things clean. Honestly, I think you should go back to the pet shop and get her back. It sounds to me like your folks read one sentence from somewhere that says this so they pounced on this fact, seized it, freaked out and jumped to the conclusion that your bird is a disease-ridden creature that will kill you or something. If it was that common then lots of people on this forum alone, esp. those who have like a million tiels would be dead already. Obviously that is NOT the case. Would you never leave your home because there's always a chance you could be run over by a car or kidnapped or hit by a stray bullet? Lots of things in life could happen theoretically, and it would not be sensible to pounce on one fact and run with it as any fact can be blown out of proportion or misused for other purposes. I understand that you don't want to cause a rift with your folks, but what you may have to do is spend some money to have tests done on your bird at the vet and use the results to prove to your folks that your bird does not carry diseases, and also do your own research and show your folks that the chances of them getting those diseases are rare. Whatever you decide to do, I wish you the best.
Old 06-05-2012, 11:29 AM
Super Tiel

Cockatiel Information
sunnysmom is on a distinguished road

I'm sorry you had to take her back.
Old 06-05-2012, 07:05 PM
Egg

Cockatiel Information
Number of Cockatiels: 3
lynzross is on a distinguished road

Its a shame you took her back, I have had hand-reared cockatiels for 4 years now and have never had any syptoms of any illness from them (if anything i make sure we handle them less when we are ill so we don't pass it on). Sometimes i fall asleep on the couch and they have been known to fall asleep on my cheek, i have asthma and allergies and have never felt ill around them. Please don't feel bad because you listened to your parents fears but do research and show it too them, it may help alleviate their fears if you decide to try again
Old 06-05-2012, 07:24 PM
Super Tiel

Cockatiel Information
Cockatiel Experience Level: Cockatiel Enthusiast
enigma731 is on a distinguished road

It's important to do research and make sure that the entire household is onboard before getting any new pet. As others have said, it's very rare to get sick from a 'tiel and a vet can do tests to make sure your bird is healthy. But I know you've been told this already, and honestly, if those facts aren't enough to reassure you and your family, then maybe it is best for her to be with a family that won't view her as such a liability. Perhaps it would be best to wait until you live on your own before getting another pet -- that way the decision would be in your hands and not theirs.
Old 06-05-2012, 10:46 PM
Adult

Cockatiel Information
Cockatiel Experience Level: Cockatiel Enthusiast
nassrah is on a distinguished road

Honestly enigma 731-I couldnt agree with you more.Hope the cockatiel gets a very good,loving family now.X x
Closed Thread